E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Unexpectedly I came to love the quietness of my bike. Even though it's stock, it seems pretty darn quiet, and most of the ebikes I've ridden with are a lot louder. My son's Neo Carbon has a noise level about equal to my bike, but it's only 350w. Anything quieter than my bike must really be silent. At this point I'm spoiled, and I'd never be happy with a motor that was noisier then mine.

Allex said:
It is only when I swiched back to stock controller when I realized how silent the adaptto was in comparison

I don't have any doubts about that. the Adaptto will probably be my next controller. Is the mini as quiet as the maxi?

I like the sound of my motor and would probably miss it. Maybe a lot.

When the terrain is low on traction, or rough such that my bars are moving a lot, hearing the sound gives me a little early feedback on how much torque I'm applying to the rear tyre. Something often not known well enough via the twist grip position. It gives a kind of predictability that helps me anticipate, stay in control and go faster and safer.

I might trade that if a silent controller is significantly more energy efficient.

Oil cooling made my H4065 sound a bit better. Softer and deeper.

I've got a bit of unique sound on my Fighter lately.

With the Mini-E controller it's completely silent, but with my fan mods in the motor...
P1070421.jpg

These are loud, when they are running, which isn't all the time.

The cool thing is, since they are wired in series with the main battery the pitch changes as the voltage drops under load. I didn't expect it to be quite so useful and awesome sounding, but it is! I liken it to pushing an ICE mower and hitting a large patch of grass when you hear the RPM drop. It gives me really good feedback on when the whole bike system; Main battery, Controller and Motor is under high load without needing to take my eye's off whats in front of me. :)
And when I get sick of the noise...I just hit the switch to turn them off, taking it a bit easier to keep the heat down.

Cheers

Hey all I got a question for yas..

I have my suspicions but I'm not sure…here are the symptoms…

on multiple occasions I thought I charged my bike but it in the morn it wasn't charged but the red/green light was on and the charger fan was not running. So a few days later I plugged in the charger and within 10 sec the fan turned off and the charger stopped charging. I unplugged it and tried again and worked fine. Today I plugged it in (I only used 2 amps from a full charge) within 2 sec the charger stopped and I decided to try a BMS reset by unplugging the battery cable. After that the charger would not even come on.

Any thoughts?
Im going to go out to the garage and wiggle the XLR connectors. I think I may need to pick up a multi tester… any ideas would be great. I looked through some old posts and people mentioned XLR connections, Testing the charger (not sure how to do that) and testing the BMS (not sure how to do that either). Any help would be great.

Thanks all!!!

1abv said:

on multiple occasions I thought I charged my bike but it in the morn it wasn't charged but the red/green light was on and the charger fan was not running. So a few days later I plugged in the charger and within 10 sec the fan turned off and the charger stopped charging. I unplugged it and tried again and worked fine. Today I plugged it in (I only used 2 amps from a full charge) within 2 sec the charger stopped and I decided to try a BMS reset by unplugging the battery cable. After that the charger would not even come on.

Any thoughts?
Im going to go out to the garage and wiggle the XLR connectors. I think I may need to pick up a multi tester… any ideas would be great. I looked through some old posts and people mentioned XLR connections, Testing the charger (not sure how to do that) and testing the BMS (not sure how to do that either). Any help would be great.

Thanks all!!!

Sounds like the battery was fully charged.

Theodore Voltaire said:
1abv said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!!

Nn thats not correct as I noted earlier I used 2 amps that day so its not completely charged.

1abv said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
1abv said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!!

Nn thats not correct as I noted earlier I used 2 amps that day so its not completely charged.

It should take about 20 minutes to charge 2 ah

1abv said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!!

That's exactly the symptoms I had with my Bomber back in April 2013. After then US Stealth had sent me two chargers which didn't fix it, I discovered the XLR plug on the bike had melted and was charging correctly. Simple solution was replaced the XLR plugs with XT150 bullets on the charger lead and battery lead. Chinese color coding is different than US. If I recall correctly, blue is positive and brown is negative. Try this, pull your side cover off your bomber, and with the charger plugged in, gently wiggle the charge lead coming out of the BMS on your battery, if your charger toggles on and off, that's the problem. I guess you could use an ohm meter and check plugs 1 and 2 on the XLR in the bike and wiggle the wire and see if your readings change.

Rix said:
CD, what did you spray your stator with?
This:
P1070417.jpg

Most others on ES use something similar...can't recall what it's called, but I couldn't find it for a decent price in Australia so the above stuff was used instead. So far so good and I don't imagine I will see any problems with it since it's meant for this kind of use. :)

Cheers

1abv said:

Any thoughts?

What was the volts on screen at?

Cowardlyduck said:
Rix said:
CD, what did you spray your stator with?
This:
.jpg

Most others on ES use something similar...can't recall what it's called, but I couldn't find it for a decent price in Australia so the above stuff was used instead. So far so good and I don't imagine I will see any problems with it since it's meant for this kind of use. :)

Cheers
Thanks CD, next time I split the case on a hub motor, will coat it with this.

Cowardlyduck said:
Most others on ES use something similar...can't recall what it's called

Maybe Boeshield T-9? Used on Boeing aircraft too

1abv said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!!

I'd contact Joe at Stealth, they'll sort it out for you. I had a similar sounding problem on my old Bomber pack...turned out that the BMS and a few cells had blown. Although that was apparently a very unusual situation. It is a great idea to have a spare charger & a multimeter on hand...that way you can narrow it down very quickly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!!![/quote]

I'd contact Joe at Stealth, they'll sort it out for you. I had a similar sounding problem on my old Bomber pack...turned out that the BMS and a few cells had blown. Although that was apparently a very unusual situation. It is a great idea to have a spare charger & a multimeter on hand...that way you can narrow it down very quickly.[/quote]

Thanks for all the help fellas… So I pulled apart the battery connections, cleaned em and then took apart the red any green plastic end connectors from the XLR jack and put everything back together. she's charging now so it must be something in the xlr cable connections. Rix why did you switch out the connector? is the XLR not the way to go if at stock power? Im not at my house for a bit so I dont have all of my tools w me but I'm going to pick up a multi meter, and a few other tools and give it a really good cleaning / exam and see what is what.

On another note I tried to send Joe an email over at stealth and it looks like his email address is no longer valid.( I may have an old one I haven't contacted him in a few months at least) Does he have a new one?

Rix said:
That's what I use now Remf, it works and I have not complaints, but always on the lookout for something better.
I wouldn't claim it's better than T9...just different. Keep in mind it might slightly increase temps due to it's insulating properties. Not an issue for me with those fans though. :)

Cheers

1abv said:

Rix why did you switch out the connector? is the XLR not the way to go if at stock power? Im not at my house for a bit so I dont have all of my tools w me but I'm going to pick up a multi meter, and a few other tools and give it a really good cleaning / exam and see what is what.

On another note I tried to send Joe an email over at stealth and it looks like his email address is no longer valid.( I may have an old one I haven't contacted him in a few months at least) Does he have a new one?

I switched out my xlr with the xt150s because the XLR had melted and shorted the charge lead at the plug. As you can see in the pic, the plug melted. When I wiggled it around, my charger would cycle on and off. If I went back and did it again, I would use the speakon connector like Allex did.

Attachments

• Melted xlr.png
    Melted xlr.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 2,558
I got my 3rd punture on the back wheel of my bomber today in 2 months
and also have gone through rear brakes pads twice in 2 months its driving me mad
is there anything I can do?
thx
steve

stevebills said:
and also have gone through rear brakes pads twice in 2 months its driving me mad
thx
steve

Yep something not right there...what tires & tubes are you using? Are you aiming for the nails while you're riding? :) Best idea is to use a 19 inch motorcycle tire on a rebuilt wheel. If you don't want to go to those lengths, use some high quality liners like Mr Tuffy or Panasonic Panaracer Flat-Away. Also 1 set of pads per month is off the richter. Using regen will definitely ease up on the pad usage but check the pad instalation & caliper alignment to see that's not the reason you're chewing through them.

stevebills said:
thx
steve

The rear wheel puncture issue can be solved with a MC wheel tire conversion. The break pad issue, something is going on where your pads are rubbing. Could be a caliper adjustment issue.

I wll get some flataway and start using my regen button more and front brake
thx
steve

Dimension HELP please!

Does anyone know the difference in the measurement from the head tube to the seat tube between the bomber and fighter?

And the difference of the height of the top of seat tube and top of head tube.

Cheers Everyone!

Back