Epic Fail!

All this talk about sequential torque setting and thermally calibrated and polar aligned digital snap on torque wrenches. Its a 3hp ebike motor axle isn't it? its making me feel guilty about building 200hp Honda motors that rev to 10,000rpm without even using a torque wrench :wink:

+1 on the x5 axles being made from cheese.

I also found on my x5s axles diameter varied a lot along its length.The nut was loose in some spot and tight as buggery in others.

I really think people would pay more to have a hub motor that's built a to a higher standard.I know I would especially in the key areas. You pay for it in the with your time modifying it or repairing it and then its still not as good as if they had built it properly in the first place.

Kurt.

So, this has been a bit of a hard road. Stripped axles, hardware searches, crazy e-bay scrounging, Tons of help from a certain gentleman with a civic WAY faster than my 400hp WRX, Dr.Bass and of course, Ren Cycles who immediately air mailed me (Par Avion!) a new cycle analyst when there were issues with the one originally sent and Ed Lyen who made the badass controller. Also, "Pa Berry" for fabricating my ridiculously phallic torque arms (his name? PP Plates.) out of chromo we found around the Jim Russell shop, where the pics of that part were taken. Yep, built in a formula car shop- you can see a bench full of turbo manifolds, a sequential tranny case and some junk there....

In short? the Nerdmobile Lives. And Flies. I had it up to 30.6 mph according to the CA (AMAZING GADGET, when can it interface with my iphone so it can download use stats and SOC info? j/k) and used 1.55 Ah in 1.56 mi, regenerating .19, finishing my little sprint having used 1.36Ah. It was so fast, so torquey (I Can't wait to pedal, as I'm no slouch on my own, either!) I froze my ears while I was blasting about the street so then I ripped about for a while in a ruddy, grassy wet field. It's about as fun as I had imagined, which is a relief. It needs fenders and a rack, and I'd like to make a sail bag to cover the whole works in the center, with zipper vents so air can flow.

It needs a light badly, which is a project i'm working on. I'd also like to add about 10 more Ah on a rack so I can happily run it at 60a. It's happening already.

Also, the rim brakes are horrid, but it's likely due to the old hard pads, which I'll replace. It also needs a chain! It has a 1" stem (umm, the frame is a diamondback sorrento possibly?) so I can get a fork with no shock, or a junk shock, or a good shock and put a 1" stem on it. hmm.

so, here are the pp plates, which I only Installed one of (are they really necessary? dunno. Does my Bike now have a pp plate? Yep.)

View attachment 2

this is the nerdmobile in it's glory. Notice the sail mounted batteries are out of the way, so I can pedal, but still in a balanced place on the bike! The wiring is the keyswitch, and it needs to be cleaned up when I add the control panel (Regen on/off, Light On/Off, possibly CA Dimmer and the Keyswitch)

nerdmobile.jpg

THE MARK OF THE NERD!

nerdmobileburnout.jpg

Thanks sphere!

Be careful doing 30+ mph with rim brakes... also, be prepared to change the pads out every couple weeks :D

Great work, and nice shop! Those metal penis decorations also look like quite the design. ;) ;) ;)

Since I know you're a fellow 'more-power!' sort of guy, have you looked into LiPo for batteries?

Back