Finally RUNNING!! page 5 ride vids Here!! need better qualit

Yes guys I did say I was pedaling pretty decently on these numbers, I always do, I never ride it like a motorcycle. I am usually putting in over 100 watts or more as I watch the power output on the CA and its pretty easy to see what I'm contributing. I am sure my shunt value is fairly close but I don't have a power supply to test it with. I do know that I have used the pack up and the voltage matches the AH put out so know its close. Im not trying to claim some ridiculous efficiency or something , just that it is FAR better than the motor in the wheel, and for that I know it is accurate because I made no other changes, I can simply unplug the motor and plug in the hub and see the change immediately. I don't need to calibrate anything to see that. I thank you for the help on this but its plenty close for my purposes. Bottom line it's way better than a standard hub in wheel config. I have a feeling its due to the fact that the wires both hall and phase are only about 6" long! VERY little wasted energy there!

veloman said:
Are you going to sell the brackets/freewheel parts, or an entire kit?

Thanks for asking, I plan on selling both ways, brackets and freewheel crank and complete with motor with machining. Its much easier to just get the motor from me since it will be cut and machined to fit but I know some may already have a motor or want to do it themselves... once I get laser cutting prices I will be able to quote a kit price. Hopefully soon!

I am thinking of changing the design just a tad to make it more resistant to twisting since I noticed it does just a little under heavy load and I want to turn up the amps a bit. Here is what I had in mind, sorry for the crude drawing but im in my phone. Basically it will incorporate a plate between the two sides making a skid plate that will stiffen up the mount torsionally. I think it will look cool too! I didn't want to affect the front tire clearance so I only went half way up but I think it will help a lot connecting them together. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1332248062286.jpg
    1332248062286.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,787
Hey Whip,

I did not mean to open a can of worms in your thread. It is just something that jumped out at me because I did a huge amount of efficiency testing when I built my recumbent because I was accused of inflating (deflating?) my numbers. So, I have become an efficiency geek. :D

Anyway, I meant no offense. I am sure this is proving to be an efficient system. I love the simplicity.

So, back on topic. :wink:

Matt

Thanks Matt, I appreciate it, and no worries, I know you meant well. :D

I'm sure that skidplate will help stiffen it- but what about how you mount the whole lot to the frame? Is there any twist there?

It does not seem to, plus I doubt it since it clamps under the bottom bracket then riv-nuts to the down tube..

250 mile UPDATE! Still going strong! Bracket is still the same as original and does not seem to twist afterall. I videoed it and could not see any. So for now it stays this way. Once I get a reliable 1000car miles I will begin production. I figure if its still going strong after that, it will last the average weekend rider a good while. I am so impressed with the climbing ability while retaining an honest 33mph on the flat! Mind you, this is still with only a tad over 1200 watts so with more power I think 40 is easily attainable!

The MIC on this camera is ridiculous, the motor is whisper quiet, I think its because its physically taped to the frame of the bike. You can tell how sensitive it is when I just roll the bike around, hell the brakes are even loud! Lol! To give you an idea of the actual noise level, the rear derailleur is louder than the motor..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p94tBFl_arI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just a thought (not that i'm inpatient or anything)but at a steady 30mph this bike could be tested in 25 hours time , :lol: :lol: looking forward to more vids

Lol! Thanks for the math on how slow I am! :lol:

Can you do a no pedal test on an 8% hill?

My 8T mac held 17.5mph up it (230lb rider+bike weight), on 1200watts (battery).

I can try to find that exact grade, maybe this weekend ..

I was able to find a grade similar to yours, I ran it at about the same speed but used only 900-1000 watts to sustain speed. So it is indeed pretty efficient I suppose!

I also had my nest run today on the way home with the bike on the 11T sprocket I hit 38mph pedaling hard pulling only 1100a watts! So its as fast as my 6T MAC and still climbs like a beast! The motor was lugging a bit so I think ill try a 13T smallest cog and see if I can do the same speed but be easier on the gearbox. The motor itself was cool...

Nice! The only drawback to a hub mid drive is that you will not be able to accelerate as fast as à single-speed (without consideration to power). But for the same power input, acceleration will probably be better with the multispeed system, plus you have something like 4x the max torque of an in wheel hubbie, with the motor near peak efficiency all the time 8)

I can't believe you are not coming to the races, it's only an hour away for you! Lets see this bike! Don't you want to see how it stacks up? Cmon, you know you do... :wink:

Im getting close to having some free time, honestly man I would LOVE to go, I just have too much on my plate right now. Life's a bitch sometimes lol! I will make one soon though! Truly though, my bike a climber, not a racer! That will be the next one! I really want to do a cromotor mid drive in a hardtail with like 25AH of at least 20s!! That will be my commuter!!

Had a cool ride this morning! I have never before been able to make it to the top of the mountains via HWY74 from palm desert before! The only bike that would do it was my gas bike due to the range. Well today was a personal milestone! I made it all the way to a little group if homes called the Pinion area 12.7 miles frm my house on the valley floor all the way up and around a few trails and back down with grades ranging from an average of 5-7% to a maximum of 13% over the 12.7 miles one way. The best part is I could have gone farther but I needed to get back home for breakfast by the wifey. The motor was barely warm and the controller was actually cold! Lol! I averaged 650watts the whole time but on the steeper grades I pulled around 800. Average speed was around 18mph but a little slower on the steep parts. I could have gone faster but I was trying to hold a comfortable pedal pace and go as far as I could. This is really awesome because there is a bitchen trail ride of over 25 miles mostly downhill from pinion that I really want to ride, looks like with two extra packs of 6s 8AH I can easily make it! Very cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lREX-m0XUwc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Still going strong! I have been very busy fixing up a car I bought for the summer here, its far too hot to ride to work now. I basically get to do a morning ride on the weekend if I get up really early, its 100° by 9:00AM so it makes it tough to get motivated. With any luck, ill have my VW Baja bug sold so I can start my design/buildup of my next bike. I am thinking of doing a Timma style build from a nice downhill bike but with a MID drive Cromotor! Should be insane. Looking for more of a high performance build this time, maybe shoot for 50 MPH top speed and still climb really well... lol!

Once it cools off here, ill be back on it! Should be easy to get the basic Trail drive into some sort of production...

Awesome build so far. I'm subscribed hoping you will get a GoPro to flash some actual riding videos.

Hi Whip,
a couple of questions;

what width did you end up with for the hub (ie between the steel collars) after cutting axle / machining etc.

what reduction did you use between motor and cranks.........and whats the cadence like?

thanks,

Ian :D

One of my favorite threads, look forward to your updates and final product. Please keep us informed on how you are doing...and forget about that oil burning machine...ebikes are more important...remember your priorities! :)

THX guys! I am still working on this, just slower during the summer. I am getting ready to try a different cog on the front gearset on the driven side to give me an even lower first gear to try and climb some of the really long and technical very steep grades here. It will hopefully enable me to have the climbing speed j want while going WOT instead of feathering the throttle so it will be less strenuous on the motor/controller.

In other news, a friend of mine got a hi-def CNC plasma cutter recently so I can get the side plates cut easily now! I just need to draw them up and get a set cut!

Back