Fourstar Trike Resurrection

H2Guy

100 mW
Got my hands on one of these that the PO removed all the electrical drive components and mounted a gas engine. It’s seen some better days but for the 100 bucks I paid with a miscellaneous box of old parts including the original geared motor I thought it would be a good project.
IMG_0224.jpeg

Of course the one I have looks “slightly different” …
IMG_3087.jpeg

I did get the motor mounted up and a new hydraulic brake bracketed on. Spins and stops so I’ll press on with sourcing a proper controller, throttle, switches etc etc. Also going through my inventory of 18650’s to build a 10S12P pack. Pretty sure 20+Ahr will get me safely through a round or more and this frame has plenty of space.

IMG_3105.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a fun project...but my very first thought when I saw the first pic was "oh, wow, a three wheeled stapler!" :lol:

(random blue stapler pic from image search)
1698979541576.png

And your stapler reminds me of a jet ski … perhaps I should just put pontoons on this beast :)
View attachment 342408
No, you need a rod holder, sissy bar for the rear passenger and a place to hold your electric mode of transport (a one-wheel would be Dude-worthy)

OP might need bigger tires and a better seat, bigger motor and more volts ;)

36V (10S10P) battery built (stock voltage) and bench tested controller, motor and all the other ancillary bits. Still waiting on contractor and discretes for the pre-charge circuit. Still have to mock up on the frame, open the motor’s gearbox to inspect and lubricate and clean up the frame from the PO’s conversion to gas. A little paint and my “stapler” should be ready for the 2024 golf season :cool:

Got a bit side tracked over the winter but did get the frame sent out for powder coating.
IMG_3231.jpeg

Have also cleaned up all the plastics, repaired cracks and various misc PO holes from it’s “gas” days and everything is painted Audi Nardo Grey. Paint is curing while I complete assembly. Have also fashioned a lift to hoist it in and out of my SUV using a cheap winch and Arduino remote control I had from another project. Will post pictures and video once complete.

I've never seen or heard of one of these. I wasn't expecting an actual a-arm suspension at first glance. But it looks like something I was/am planning to make with an old 4wheeler and a 250 scooter. How stable is it? It looks very narrow. And I know on my tadpole with a wayyyy overvolted rear hub it will and has successfully rolled my ass out on the ground lol. But only when I'm on the throttle, it will lift the inside wheel up quick, but if I'm coasting or slowing I can turn the wheels to the lock with no problems just not at the limited 40mph it goes lol

I've never seen or heard of one of these. I wasn't expecting an actual a-arm suspension at first glance. But it looks like something I was/am planning to make with an old 4wheeler and a 250 scooter. How stable is it? It looks very narrow. And I know on my tadpole with a wayyyy overvolted rear hub it will and has successfully rolled my ass out on the ground lol. But only when I'm on the throttle, it will lift the inside wheel up quick, but if I'm coasting or slowing I can turn the wheels to the lock with no problems just not at the limited 40mph it goes lol
It has a top speed of about 15kph and yes if you crank the bars at that speed you’ve become a 2 wheeler and it will take a some skills to keep it upright. For me it’s a golf cart and I’ve no intention of testing it’s limits in the corners :)

Final assembly complete. Doing some shakedown testing over the next week or so before heading to a golf course.

Attachments

• IMG_3257.jpeg
    IMG_3257.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3258.jpeg
    IMG_3258.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3259.jpeg
    IMG_3259.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Final assembly complete. Doing some shakedown testing over the next week or so before heading to a golf course.

Now there's something you don't see every day.

Back