Gas prices in your area??

Today marks the first time since 2008 that gas at my trusty local gas station hit $3.10. This is especially worrying considering it usually peaks in the summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see gas hit upwards of $3.50/gal sometime this year. At my work, there are more than a few people who commute hours per day. In fact, a handful of people commute from the far reaches on Maine, Vermont and Connecticut and my work is located in the Boston area. I feel for these people for not only do the put up with horrendous traffic, but pretty soon they'll be paying through the nose for fuel.

Today gone up for allmost 5%...

Eurosuper 95 Lead free 6,46$/gal
Eurosuper 98 Lead free 6,71$/gal
Eurosuper 100 Lead free 6,77$/gal
Diesel Euro4 6,42$/gal
Diesel Euro5 6,53$/gal
Diesel <0,5%S 5,60$/gal
Blue diesel 3,44$/gal
Extra light heating oil 3,75$/gal
Propane 3,64$/gal
Methane 1,59$/gal

Depending on where I go around here it's around $2.90-3.10/gal. Not great, but not bad.

Just be glad you don't live in Eritrea or Turkey! Highest average in the world atm at USD$9.58/gal average there now, according to Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_and_diesel_usage_and_pricing#Typical_gasoline_prices_around_the_world

You can find the price of gas/diesel in cities across US and Canada:
http://gasbuddy.com/

Moreover, you can post prices in your area and see who's gouging.

in case you had not heard. the trans alaska pipeline is shut down for 4 days now. they are trying to keep the oil inside the pipeline fluid by pumping it back and forth between pumping stations but the expectation is that if the inspectors do not allow them to restart the pumping while it is still leaking then the entire pipeline could solidify into a mass of wax and asphalt inside the pipeline. now is just about the coldest part of the year, the leak is at prudhoe so the farthest north point on the pipeline.

they have never had to do a cold restart on the pipeline, 35 years old now, corrosion in combination with the extraordinary pressures expected to get the oil moving again as it cools could cause the pipe to start leaking in a number of spots and if that happens then it could be shut down until the end of summer, and the risk that in fact it could not be restarted, though that risk is small. expect every one to blame BP for this too.

add the fire at the CNQ Horizon oil sands upgrader removing 100k bbl/day imports to the US, and the shortage of capacity on the enbridge pipeline is finally helping support the price of WTI at cushing, which has been overwhelmed with crude for awhile.

also mexico has finished upgrading their refinery at miniatitlan so that it can handle 110,000 bbl/day of maya heavy so that will not make it to the heavy crude refineries along the coast. mexican production reaching the gulf coast heavy oil refineries was as high as 1.6 million bbl/day as recently as 2006 and now it could be down to less than 500k this year. also the venezuelans are our #3 source and have recently agreed to commit huge volumes to china in exchange for $20 billion in financing, half dollars and half yuan. expect up to 300k bbl/day to go to china instead of US this year too.

did i mention that there was fancy federal commission that figured out how the guvment needed to restrict more offshore drilling until they have more regulations, more floaters going overseas and down to brazil, along with the collapse in the economy that developed to support the offshore efforts on the gulf coast. thanks to the US press super hype of tarballs on the beach. we now know that the bacteria gobbled up the methane and the majority of the spilled oil already, but you never see those stories on cable news.

now figure out how the conspiracy was able to organize all this in order to cause you to pay less for gas than bottled water. or is it more than bottled water yet?

So in other words, we're gonna be hosed for a while. There's going to essentially be another America's worth of daily oil usage and China's getting it..

dnmun said:
now figure out how the conspiracy was able to organize all this in order to cause you to pay less for gas than bottled water. or is it more than bottled water yet?

Not the best analogy, really. Bottled water is marked up like 100X the cost of the water itself. hehe.

I can't imagine paying $7.00 a gallon for gas, that is quite the reality check for Americans. I can imagine people actually rioting in the streets if that happens, SUV's abandoned, soccer moms having panic attacks, rusted bikes pulled out of the rafters. Won't it be great! I have been fortunate enough not to worry with gas prices for the last two weeks by getting my lazy ass on the bike in the morning, but it's been no easy task. Riding in and taking the bus back home only saves me roughly $5 a day. Most people would gladly forgoe the PITA that it has been so far these two weeks, but if the savings where more like $12 a day, more would weigh the options of cycle commuting. I'm just really surprised there isn't an army of European ebikers out there.

etard said:
I can't imagine paying $7.00 a gallon for gas, that is quite the reality check for Americans.

The price here for unleaded has been over $6.00 per US gallon for a few years now, you get used to it.

I'm pretty sure it's the high fuel prices we've had for the past thirty or forty years (in comparison with the very low US price) that has driven the development of the small, fuel efficient cars that are so common here in Europe. Anyone who's travelled between the US and Europe over the years will have noticed that our cars are generally smaller and normally manual shift (for the extra economy it gives over a power-sapping auto box).

The impact of this long-term fuel price difference is staggering. The last set of figures for UK car fuel consumption give an average of 38 miles per US gallon for 2008. The same figures for the US give 22.4 miles per US gallon. Given that the two sets of government figures also give average mileage for each country (9,200 per year UK, 13,000 per year US) then we can conclude that on average US consumption of fuel is around 139% more per car per year than UK consumption. My guess is that fuel price plays a massive part in that difference.

Jeremy

When you buy barrels of VP Import and VP Q16 racing fuels for $1150 per 55gal barrel (before the hazmat shipping), the the idea of paying $10/gal for normal car fuel doesn't seem so bad. I personally really want to see the fuel prices jump up a lot. :) I would love to pay $100 to fill my 10gal tank on my 70mpg Honda Insight. ~700miles/$100.

It would mean roughly 7miles per $1 of fuel for me if fuel goes to $10/gal.

Which is funny, because a ton of idiots driving around in SUVs and unloaded pickups to commute with right now are paying more than that currently with fuel under $3/gal. Maybe they will remember how nice that was getting 7miles for $1, park the SUV, buy an Insight, and have their fuel expense drop back to where they were at $3/gal. What an awful thing that would be to have less people commuting in 7,000lbs vehicles used to carry themselves and a laptop.

Yeah Luke, as a motorcyclist and bicyclist, I can't wait for the majority of vehicles to get smaller. It will only make it safer for those riding reasonably sized vehicles. Don't you hate trying to see around the nose of Tahoes and Expeditions at stop signs? At least with your Insight I can look over the thing!

I would love gas prices to be taxed heavily too, but I'm also not convinced the money will go where it needs to go. It's funny how money is spent when it is not yours, it's just a fact of human behavior.

$90 to fill the truck last night.. 25 gallons of diesel. You guys are getting your wish.. its creeping up. I'm with you on the smaller lighter cheaper vehicles, but it hurts! :)

Seattle, it's been hovering around $3 for a while but is now creeping up to $3.20.

Jeremy, your right about the taxes and fuel economy. we've also had politicians that were in the pocket of the auto makers. Stopped raising the mpg 30 yrs ago.

Here in Washington (state) the gas tax is dedicated to transportation. Until a few years ago, we now pay the State Hwy Patrol out of it so less money for roads.

Its encouraging what the new direct injection ICE cars are capable of. You can get a 20k$ 200hp mid size 3000 pound car that does 35mpg hwy.. and they will get better.

I see the same commuters as LFP driving full-size pickups and SUV's.. hell, I know these people. You know these people. Regular people. Can't think of a better way to stop the stupidity, but for those that need to use big trucks for work 10$ gas would suck.

vanilla ice said:
You can get a 20k$ 200hp mid size 3000 pound car that does 35mpg hwy..
Or I could go get in my $3k (6 years ago) 97HP mid size 1500 pound 96 Mazda Protege that does >40mpg hwy (about 40mpg with an about 70/30 hwy/city mix)...and costs less to fix when it breaks...and is cheaper to insure. ;)

I'm with you man.. I too drive a light car. And our work truck gets 25mpg loaded down. But we are the minority.. You have to think of what the average driver uses if you're looking big picture. 3000 pound cars are the meat of the market, and I can see Joe Pickup and SUV mom switching to these 35mpg'ers when gas hits 4 or 5 here. Its better than the 15 or 20mpg hwy they are out there doing now!

x88x said:
vanilla ice said:
Or I could go get in my $3k (6 years ago) 97HP mid size 1500 pound 96 Mazda Protege that does >40mpg hwy (about 40mpg with an about 70/30 hwy/city mix)...and costs less to fix when it breaks...and is cheaper to insure. ;)

If it was 1,500lbs, I would be using a Protege (with a Honda engine) rather than a Civic. Your car is actually 2385lbs dry weight.

Was gonna say man.. my car is pretty dang small and its 1900 pounds. 1500 is like WOW! I think its tough to get normal folks to want anything less than 3000 though. The ball and chain's car is 3800 pounds and nothing she wants is any lighter.. Would love to see more compacts on the road though.

There are a lot of variables to transportation costs. I need a car in the winter, but my city is only 21 Sq. mi. To get to work and around town is about 2000 mi./year. Because I travel so few miles with it, the 15 MPG of my 78 Buick Electra is countered by the $200/yr. insurance and lack of maintenance costs. One of the main reasons I have an ebike is because the Buick barely gets warmed up most of the time. I frequently just let the thing idle without using the accelerator while I go the few miles down residential streets.

Fuel prices could triple and I'd still be ahead money wise with the Buick. This is what pissed me off about the cash for clunkers program. As long as they still run, clunkers can still be useful.

For the infrequent times I take trips I rent because doing so pays for itself in fuel costs.

My local fuel cartel charges $2.99/gal, $.10 more than Des Moines, 30 miles away.

liveforphysics said:
x88x said:
vanilla ice said:

If it was 1,500lbs, I would be using a Protege (with a Honda engine) rather than a Civic. Your car is actually 2385lbs dry weight.
Ah, you are correct on that...for some reason I was remembering 3/4 ton. Anyways, still gets 40mpg with my normal driving habits. :D I've actually never had any problems with the engine. The O2 sensor likes to freak out every 20k miles or so and needs to be reset, but other than that the only repairs I've had to do were either because of me neglecting it or normal wear and tear on the drivetrain. Over the 6 years and about 25k miles I've had it, other than standard maintenance and the O2 sensor, the only repairs I've had to do to it are replacing the tires, CV joints, front brakes (would have only needed to replace the pads if I'd paid attention to it sooner.. :oops: ), and muffler (one of the mounts rusted out).

EDIT:
Hmm, that got me thinking actually...I wonder if my fuel economy would improve any if I pulled out my A/C system..the compressor blew a year or so ago and it's just been dead weight since then (ok, I guess that's another thing that broke on it..I never used it anyway so I tend to forget about it).

you should be able to replace the compressor, and if there is fluid they can pump it out and clean it and refill with a new compressor. i just bot 2 more honda wagons and both have A/C. i feel like i was lucky since one of them still works. the idler removed on the other, not sure what the deal is on it.

i also am a great believer in the theory of recycling older cars, but weight is a hazard imo. my '84 honda wagon is 2,000 lbs with the right and rear seats out, i use it like a pickup too. max load is 1300lbs of gravel, another was 920lbs of scrap metal. carries 4x8 sheets on top, and i carried a 6'x6' sliding glass door on top down the freeway. 33 mpg still.

gas is cheapest in the rocky mountain region because of the express pipeline from canada to denver, and the increased production from the bakken in the williston and elk creek regions. a lot of landlocked production that has to go to denver to find the market.

x88x said:
EDIT:
Hmm, that got me thinking actually...I wonder if my fuel economy would improve any if I pulled out my A/C system..the compressor blew a year or so ago and it's just been dead weight since then (ok, I guess that's another thing that broke on it..I never used it anyway so I tend to forget about it).

First thing I do when I get a car is to remove the power steering, and AC pump drive (and disable power brakes if it's overly assisting). Then if it's a racecar all the associated components get removed for weight savings. If it's a commuter, I remove or disable them just because I prefer the driving experience without those things rather than the fuel economy benefit which would be very small.

dnmun said:
you should be able to replace the compressor, and if there is fluid they can pump it out and clean it and refill with a new compressor.
Yeah, I can, but the quote I got on just the parts was so high that it would have eclipsed the market value of the vehicle. A $2 belt that bypassed the compressor was a much more palatable repair than $1500 for a new A/C system (according to the tech, when the compressor blew it sent coolant through other parts of the system..that aren't supposed to have coolant in them..making it so I would have had to replace the entire system). Besides, like I said, I never used it when it did work, so no big loss. :D

Back