GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

pucksterpete said:
Kind a cool to see that charger go from Hong Kong, France, Seattle and now DC!!!!! Good luck with it all Greg, great job Dnmun

That is cool and very generous of all involved. The multi-national make-up and cooperation of this board is truly special.

yes the cell logs are on my list they look much better than the BM6s.

as for the current flow my understanding is that want the cells are paralleled there one cell. so I am not sure how much extra current will be going over the balance wires. but I would love it if someone could clarify what actually happens with when such cells are paralleled.

sacko said:
This any good to you?

http://bestekpower.com/888v24spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCM-D131.html

Was only about $75 delivered to the UK

Can these be slightly adjusted below 4.2V/cell?

Yes, but you have to email them and they will configure everything for you. I only realised that after I ordered mine, as I would have went for 4.15v :/

Communication is really good between emails.

sacko said:
This any good to you?

http://bestekpower.com/888v24spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCM-D131.html

damn, hadn't known about those! are others using them? compatible w/ regen? any issues. they look perfect. how long before one would drain a pack? as soon as they get a cell log display, they'll sell like hotcakes. $75 is a no brainer price. thanks for the link!

Ykick said:
pucksterpete said:
Kind a cool to see that charger go from Hong Kong, France, Seattle and now DC!!!!! Good luck with it all Greg, great job Dnmun

That is cool and very generous of all involved. The multi-national make-up and cooperation of this board is truly special.
dnum should be knighted for his work with these charger and with ping packs. truly unbelievable work far beyond the call of duty. i was just as surprised when i heard he got pete's charger! now that i've got it, i'll get 240V in the garage. unless you want me to ship it back!

talk about recycling!

true, a bit of heavy carbon footprint, but still.. 8)

i've seen so many amazing mods and creations on the forum lately, it's kinda overwhelming. i'm way behind and way out-classed. very humbling, but when it boils down to it, i think we all want to ride our bikes. i know i do!

GCinDC said:
sacko said:
This any good to you?

damn, hadn't known about those! are others using them? compatible w/ regen? any issues. they look perfect. how long before one would drain a pack? as soon as they get a cell log display, they'll sell like hotcakes. $75 is a no brainer price. thanks for the link!

Dnum on here suggested it. I dont think these are widely known about/tested, but for the money it is well worth a punt.

I should be using it within the month, i'll get a review sorted with a few more details.

201211422736929.jpg

so it looks like it accepts 3 x 8s jst-xh connectors. building a balance harness from 4x6s or 6x4s might be tricky... but i'm very curious to see how they work..

sacko said:
Yes, but you have to email them and they will configure everything for you. I only realised that after I ordered mine, as I would have went for 4.15v :/

Communication is really good between emails.

Thanks, just might give one of these a test....

Dont know if youve evered checked my build but if you look on the last pages you will see the battery monitors that i am using from HK. I ride with this on constantly so i can watch my pack at all times.

I have made up a dummy load using 12V 50Watts halogen globes. I have a harness that can handle up to 20 globes ( 1Kw )

I use it mostly with only 500watts but you can load it up and down as needed. Using my pack monitor you simply look at the resting voltage connect the load and then you can see each cells voltage once load is connected. Hence you can 1 - work out the IR, or simply see that on a normal pack connecting a 500W load on a single zippy causes very minimal sag on the voltages on a pack. If you have a cell that drops then you can make a call as to how much you are gonna to accept before you throw it away. 500W @ 22V = 22A or roughly 4C out of my cheap 25C packs so it aint a huge draw but from a single pack it way more than i run when i normall parrallel the packs up anyway. 50A max /3 is what i run Peak.

If you also balance the packs balance leads as well as the main power leads then yes one bad cell will effect the same cells in the parrallel connection as each cell in the parrallel is essentially the same cell with a larger capacity and they will all act like the weakest cell in the group. If the balance taps are not parralleled then the total battery voltages will be equal which in essence gives the same outcome but at least if the one bad cell drops rapidly then that voltage drop will be spread across all the other cells in your parralleled pack perhaps saving the other packs from getting a dude cell. I run all my packs with the balance leads parrallel will in operation.

Thanks for your updates as always

Scruff

GCinDC said:
so it looks like it accepts 3 x 8s jst-xh connectors. building a balance harness from 4x6s or 6x4s might be tricky... but i'm very curious to see how they work..
Keep in mind that only the first 8S plug can be used and each subsequent one will need to be series'd off the previous - if that makes sense.
Ie the plug are wired as if you have all the cells assembled in a 24S block, so pin 1 on bank 2 needs to be joined to pin 9 from bank 1.
Some of these BMS's don't use the -ve or +ve on the balance taps either and get it instead from the main -ve/+ve line. So often the first pin in the JST plug is actually pin 2. Traps for young players with the often poor or non-existant accompanying wiring diagrams.
Best bet it to use the supplied wiring loom that comes with BMS and solder it to a parallel JST harness.

GCinDC said:
201211422736929.jpg

Have you found the "founding power BMS" thread?
It ought to be perfect for you. You can see real time cell voltages on a little tiny screen, and a couple people on this forum can attest that it works. The guy who is selling these is on the forum, and he is a pretty honest man.
You can program the BMS for varying different cell voltages and all te stuff. Look it up when your free.

silverheels is gonna give me his three old 6S lipo packs with dead cells so i may try that 15S BMS that bestekpower makes with the data com and display drivers to display the cell parameters and put them into logging form for the usb connection to the laptop.

i have not worked with lipo yet so rebuilding these into a pack like i do with the reclaimed ping packs will be interesting.

i am gonna get them to sell me one of these for 15S, and mod the mosfets to irfb4110 or 3077s. then hack the shunt by adding some more resistors in parallel to get it to 35-40A.

http://www.bestekpower.com/fuelgasgauge/BMS-D141.html

it was raining this morning but managed to get some good speed down the long hill with the road bike, fyi... :twisted:
375.png

i'm not quite to the point of lifting the pedals in the toeclips, but the kits performance is improving steadily... :D

Well done, Greg :D The line above tells the commute story, average 14.4mph. How did it feel at 40mph :?:

i'm not sure it's enough to earn chalo's respect, but i'm working on it...

actually, i think ~5min of that time was spent locking bike and getting to my office before turning off My Tracks, so my average should be higher. :mrgreen:

and what's more, i decided to try my best on the the 1 mile bastard hill that first took me ~10 min and today only 7:24! :twisted:
Total distance: 2.15 km (1.3 mi)
Total time: 07:43
Moving time: 07:24
Average speed: 16.72 km/h (10.4 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 17.41 km/h (10.8 mi/h)
Max speed: 26.10 km/h (16.2 mi/h)
Average pace: 3.59 min/km (5.8 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 3.45 min/km (5.5 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 2.30 min/km (3.7 min/mi)
Max elevation: 95 m (312 ft)
Min elevation: 6 m (19 ft)
Elevation gain: 75 m (246 ft)
Max grade: 16 %
Min grade: -12 %

but the big news is that the insurance check is in the mail. :p

Wait a minute. Been to DC a bunch of times and never saw a hill. Not one. Maybe where the road goes over another road, rail line, or river. But hills? Are you sure that the goggle is not pulling elevations off of adjacent roof tops. :p :p

Here in the Berkshires much like southern Vermont, we don't talk "hills" unless they are significant so as to not be taken as a "flat lander" :oops: .

speedmd said:
Been to DC a bunch of times and never saw a hill. Not one.
downtown is flat, but it's 410 feet of elevation up to fort reno (near where i live), and there's some steep stuff around the watersheds there. nothing compared to ranges, but if you have to stand up to pedal, i'd call it a hill... if you can go down it at 37mph, but up at it at only 7mph, something is going on there.. :wink:
dcterrain.jpg

got a call from the suspension technician (finally). bad news on the marzocchi fork. 'with marzocchi's current business model' they don't sell the spacers that melted and need to be replaced:
20130420_161511.jpg

and there's nowhere else to get them except maybe from a junked pair of forks? :cry:

and i figured they'd have everything. wish they had a number i could have called beforehand to ask about 'em. :roll:

downtown is flat, but it's 410 feet of elevation up to fort reno
Ah Yes. Shoot down hill. You can see better and better range for the big guns.

Just teasing you. I understand the topography, I live in a river valley so it is up hill in all directions for me also. Yes, steep in spots. I try to snake my way out to the hills to give myself some time warming up.

Tell the folks at marzocchi (besides that they are assholes) that you are currently helping a congressional task force overseeing failed product parts supply issues. Not supplying repair parts is and can be a serious fine and I understand that further imports of those products can be stopped by US customs for violations of the FTC rules to supply parts for durable goods! They will probably laugh at that, but it may get some attention or at least get up the chain to where you can buy the parts. BTW, don't tell them why the parts are bad. Suffice to say it is no longer functional and needs replacement parts.

sacko said:
Ill give TF Tuning a call in the morning for you. They are the Go To people over here for Marz/RockShoxx forks.
thanks!

and fyi, i think they're 2006 marzocchi 888 rc2x, BUT the thing that i don't understand is that marz says the that model was only done in pure white: http://www.marzocchi.com/template/detailProdotti.asp?LN=UK&idC=1561&IdFolder=113&idMY=28182&IdOggetto=28032
888RC2X_2.jpg

i wondered if they were from another year, but the stickers are very 2006.

finally, i think they're the 200 mm forks, but the manual and others ask me if they're the 170mm... even tho the site shows only 200mm
888 RC2X / 2006

TECH SPECIFICATIONS
AVAILABLE COLORS - pure white
- 200mm Travel
i think the original owner thought the forks were an early version of that year's model?

in any case, here's the tech manual, which would be more helpful if the exploded diagram had numbers on the parts... :roll:

oh, i also would need those rubber bumpers to protect the frame/brakelines...

if you can tell what part number those spacers are, let me know, so i can continue hunting.. thanks!

Attachments

• 2006-888-rc2x.pdf
    604.2 KB · Views: 75
The legs could have been changed later
GCinDC said:
if you can tell what part number those spacers are, let me know, so i can continue hunting.
In the guide they refer to it as 'spring bushing' and in the unlabeled diagram as 'preload sleeve'
I have a saved labeled diagram, it's 2007 but the parts check out.
View attachment MY2007 - 888 RC2X.pdf
The P/N you're after is 5181298

Back