GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

Worst case scenario, if it's just that spacer surely you could have something made up for minimal cost if you can get the exact dimensions. Maybe look at the online places that do 3D printing or CNCing. Delrin would probably be suitable. This is an Aussie mob that I looked at for stuff before, I'm sure there's somewhere stateside that does the same
http://www.cuttosize.com.au/

edit: you beat me to the 3D print bit while I was typing. haha.
Home based 3D printers probably should be avoided as they usually use lowish melting temp plastics which could cause issues in this set up. They might be fine but I'm not sure what 3D printed stuff is like under load like that

the marzocchi rep gave me the name of a dude that might have some parts, and he just replied to me that he's got 'em all!

now i just need to confirm all the parts and get 'em shipped. i've asked the suspension tech to do an inventory too.

thanks

Attachments

• MY2006 - 888 RC2X - 170-200 TA.pdf
    451.3 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Greg, it's good to see some good in the world. Also good to know I'm not the only one that stops to pull people out of the ditch. Of course I just enjoy pulling people out of the ditch for fun. Helping someone is just an added bonus for me. he he

Clay

Trackman417 said:
This way, you don't need to worry about getting dud cells from HK, and 6S is perfect for a 24S pack.
that would have been a good idea.

i placed my order on 4/24 but decided to save $20 on shipping - what a mistake! priority mail would have taken two days, and would have saved a lot of bumping around.
20130507_170735.jpg

one pack had no box and was wedged in corner with no padding... :roll:
20130507_171027.jpg

so it had a nice dent in it. :x
20130507_171252.jpg

i did a quick check and the voltages are acceptable. not great. two packs have cells .06V different.

so i've got pretty much everything i need, except the fork, and i just heard that the spacers just got shipped so i could get them back in a week or so.

time to start fooling around then.
20130506_071806.jpg

i'd not be able to remove the main pivot, but i cool guy at the lbs helped me out:
20130508_125457.jpg

these looked like crap and if i was going to paint...
20130508_130312.jpg

then whammo, whammo... pop.
20130508_130736.jpg

a lot more banging needs to happen before all the bearings are free.

then a lot more tidying up before priming/painting. the powdercoat tool looks cheap, but is it that much better than a spray can? i'm sure it is, but will paint adhere better, be more scratch resistant?

and what to do about the stickers? taking each one off will take a night! :roll:

so anyway, the 6s 5ah packs are definitely wider than my 5s ones..
20130508_090101.jpg

so this is just too tight.:
20130508_085855.jpg

there are other options, but if want them thinner, laying them sideways may be an option:
20130508_090353.jpg

20130508_090251.jpg

actually, in that photo, you see the hose mount on the bottom tube. i was too scared/lazy to grind them all the way down the first time, and there's precious milimeters on the line, so i cleaned that up.
20130508_125425.jpg

i really need to think about the brakes. any recommendations for a pair of 8" hydros?

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126191609 and http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126191610

Incredible stopping power with 4 pistons and the cheapest price on the net. I just added the rear set to replace the original perfect working Hayes but now the rear locks up with just a pinky!

Tom

dbaker said:
So how do you like the pedal bike now? Looks like you have the bus dialed :D
haha. i doubt anyone could ever really dial in on a dc metrobus... :lol: but it's nice to know for $1.35 i can hop one when i'm late, as was the case yesterday..

still mixed feelings about pedal bike. bicycles are truly marvelous things. it's great to feel the thrust of pedal power on a light bike, compared to pedaling an ebike. it's great exercise. great cardio.

but it's slow. less adrenaline. and i hate cars. i have to ride in a shoulder filled with debris and potholes or on the sidewalk. i need to pop down to your trail...

6s 25c turnigy's from usa whorehouse, no special deal.

replaced some bearings last night:
13+-+2

used a socket wrench bit to pound them in:
13+-+3

13+-+4

i was going to leave them out to clean up/paint the frame, but i started worrying i wouldn't be able to get them back together..
13+-+5

13+-+6

just a couple left for the main frame.
13+-+8

thanks again to dan for the link to the bearing replacement kit.

once again it's empowering to go the DIY route. i never would have attempted this a year or two ago..

GCinDC said:
still mixed feelings about pedal bike. bicycles are truly marvelous things. it's great to feel the thrust of pedal power on a light bike, compared to pedaling an ebike. it's great exercise. great cardio.

After much thought and many thousands of kilometres, I have decided I prefer regular bicycles to e-bikes. I like the simplicity of propelling oneself with your own legs, and no heavy bike to trudge home if you were too throttle-happy on the way to work. I still think e-bikes are awesome, and I would encourage more people to get on two wheels regardless of what powers them. But my shed needs less crap in it, and a regular bike can sit out in the carport waiting for me anytime. I'm also turning into a fat and weak bastard by not exercising enough, so yeah, they have their benefits :lol:

GCinDC said:
and what to do about the stickers? taking each one off will take a night! :roll:

Easiest way I know is to use heatgun/hair dryer. that’s how Fox mechanics removes old decal to new ones when they service customers fork.

I hope this works on yours too

litespeed said:
Incredible stopping power with 4 pistons and the cheapest price on the net
thanks! your links were out of stock, but i found 'em cheaper on pricepoint. :mrgreen:
115_haysa0_blk_0.jpg

115_haysa0_blk_2.jpg

hopefully i got the right adapters. phew. now maybe i can move on with my life... :lol:

ps. i found parts on ebay to rebuild my old set to match the calipers i've got, but it would have been way too expensive and required all that extra work of bleeding...

now another annoyance, a 7 speed shifter... i'm going with a half twist instead of the magura this time, and was hoping to move the shifter to the left side. can't find any that go on the left tho.. always seemed silly pushed up the bar.

any suggestions for a 7 speed shifter?

any suggestions for a 7 speed shifter?
I'm affraid that you won't find anything. My search for this finished with cheap SRAM MRX 7.
The only problem with mounting it on left side is that numbers are upside down and you change gears in other way - but are these real problems?
sram-mrx-gripshift-rh-7spd.jpg

Check also this:
http://www.rei.com/product/737410/sram-mrx-comp-set-twist-shifter-7-speed

Respect for hard work in showing world your great adventures with ebikes.

Tomasz

GCinDC said:
awesome. thanks!
litespeed said:
I just added the rear set to replace the original perfect working Hayes but now the rear locks up with just a pinky!
and plenty of clearance w/ hub motor?

The new Stroker Ace bolts right on to the existing mounts but I did have to add a thin washer between the mounts and the frame. About 1/32" thick me thinks!

I have the large frame so I needed the longer 1600mm hose that they sell at modern bike. It was a little long so the 1473mm will probably be perfect for your medium frame. Great price by the way!

Tom

cheers, Tomasz. :)

before i start thinking about painting (and end up going w/ my fabric pack), i'm wondering if i should try out the fiberglass as a number of you have suggested.

any simple techniques/supplies anyone recommend? i've watched a couple vids building speakers out of the stuff, but need something more relevant.

i've pretty much decided i want the right side permanently closed, and the left side to open easily to remove the pack, and SEE it (to notice any puffing).

my plan with aluminum was to have a wall welded up on the right side with some velcro on the inside to adhere to the lipo pack. (and lots of nice gopro mounting opportunities off a flat right side. :twisted: )

and on the left, i thought about a slot for a lexan window, covered by cordura fabric velcroed to strips on the top and bottom...

the more i describe it the more i like it.. :mrgreen:

hmmm

keyne's got a pretty darn appealing post on his fiberglass box. :mrgreen:
file.php

e-cannon's got another:
file.php

i'm just thinking i might do a combo of the two methods... why not foam fill the triangle and, fiberglass around both side, then cut an access panel out of the left side and carving out a nest for the lipos. :idea:

in the meantime, i'd bought some stripper and found myself putting applying it last night for some reason:
20130511_063325.jpg

in the morning, the undamaged paint was peeling right off, but the cooked paint was stuck as before:
20130511_063319.jpg

20130511_063630.jpg

only thing left to do was clean it and sand it:
20130511_074155.jpg

i regret applying the stripper since the baked on paint woulda been better a better primer than any paint left on the frame that was exposed to that stripper.. :roll:

andy finally, parts of yesterday's pedal commute. notice the 'orginal' hd version, higher than 1080. :wink:
[youtube]vsRNNyTEPLI[/youtube]
the funny thing is that those kids in the woods were probably sniffing glue or smoking pot immediately below dhs hq! :lol:

we hiked through there as a family once. one of the kids went off the path up a steep bank which put us in a parking lot, which we decided to stroll thru to get home. until we were intercepted, questioned and id'd... :roll:

Back