GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

feeling myself again. since last friday actually. here's a scene or two from yesterday, dashing in to work, then taking the long way home.
[youtube]3jnCpv8GOQY[/youtube]

in other news, i got a lot done on the 'treehouse' (only trees i've got to work with)... note the garage vent where smoke pours out...
2013-10-01

what else? i pedaled in to work on road bike today. extreme yawn. the exercise feels good, but it's so boring. and the potholes piss me off so bad. the number one reason i prefer riding my ebike is the suspension. and ass comfort. i suppose i could try to find a more comfortable seat for the road bike...

too bad i'm a contractor and not a govvie, i might have time to get some riding in, w/ the shutdown and all.

in still other news, congrats to axel for snagging a dh comp of ebay for next to nothing!

Yes I have to agree when I saw all the recent footage of DC shutdown etc, I was hoping GC was up to something. :lol:

Good to see the full face helmet. I just got one too. Problem is I ride twice as fast now because I feel safer.

Eric

pendragon8000 on youtube said:
haha under stear at the end in the sand. do you love it Greg? stear with the rear man haha :)
you commented before about understeering i think, didn't you. what do you mean?

that was crazy deep sand and i was actually hanging off the back in order to balance going through it. so i guess that's what you meant, but just staying upright it generally my goal with steering.. :mrgreen:

and fyi, i'd tightened up my forks (top knobs anyway) before that lincoln memorial drop, but still bottomed out pretty hard, so guess i gotta tighten them more.

now tonight... to help someone who maybe cooked their 9C a bit and killed the halls...
20131003_064614.jpg

it was a PIA to remove the dead hall sensors because i'd smeared the jbweld in so good, but we used permatex to secure the replacements, so hopefully that'll work well.

oh, doh, i forgot that i found a broken winding wire in there... anyone know what that's gonna do to motor performance?? drop it from 9x7 to 8x7, ie to lose a 1/9th of performance?

GCinDC said:
pendragon8000 on youtube said:
haha under stear at the end in the sand. do you love it Greg? stear with the rear man haha :)
you commented before about understeering i think, didn't you. what do you mean?

that was crazy deep sand and i was actually hanging off the back in order to balance going through it. so i guess that's what you meant, but just staying upright it generally my goal with steering.. :mrgreen:
Under steer is when you steer harder than friction on the front wheels allows and you turn less or sometimes not at all.
Over steer is when the rear swings out while turning (like how you got concussion) and you turn more because of it sometimes 180° spin out etc or high side.
Edit.
Btw nice helmet. I got a whit giro similar.

so i fixed axel's 9C (replaced two halls) and tested it out and thought the phases were blown cause of how much noise it made.... phases tested out fine with the ebike tester, and then i took it for a longer ride and the noise went away above 10 mph or so, and i remembered, that's how it sounded! wow, i'd forgotten.

so this is a major tease vid, since the adaptto's not even available, but since i had the bike, i thought i'd do a little comparison...

both on 20s.

the dh comp w/ hs3540 65A max. the GT with 9C @45A max
[youtube]CBaEBLwLl3o[/youtube]

Thanks Greg to fix the bike !
Guys, I am so lucky to have Greg living 2 miles from me !! and I am learning each time.
Axel :p

[youtube]M22ftxfg0Ag[/youtube]
totally my fault, looking for a way to cross the street when the ped started walking, so i was a bit late. so glad i've got good brakes. i hit the front so hard that the back came off the ground.

Nice reaktion and a good example of how safe ebikes are. I have neever riding a scooter but i guess they stop not so fast :mrgreen:
Glad that you didnt had a 10kg pelicase on your front shock it would made you kiss the pavement :twisted:

my wipe out near the river almost three weeks ago messed up my neck some. definitely had some whiplash, but chiropractic has helped a lot!

sounds a lot louder to me but you can still hear some cracking. enjoy :twisted:
[youtube]_t4Ao80o7xs[/youtube]

GCinDC said:
so i fixed axel's 9C (replaced two halls) and tested it out and thought the phases were blown cause of how much noise it made.... phases tested out fine with the ebike tester, and then i took it for a longer ride and the noise went away above 10 mph or so, and i remembered, that's how it sounded! wow, i'd forgotten.

so this is a major tease vid, since the adaptto's not even available, but since i had the bike, i thought i'd do a little comparison...

both on 20s.

the dh comp w/ hs3540 65A max. the GT with 9C @45A max
[youtube]CBaEBLwLl3o[/youtube]
You're right about the sine wave controller vs the normal controller. That was a very nice tease dude. I think your motor is quieter then a pedal bike now :twisted: . It's great for sneaking up on people. Like that pedestrian :mrgreen: .

Do you notice less traffic in the morning because of the Gov't shutdown?

Trackman417 said:
Do you notice less traffic in the morning because of the Gov't shutdown?
not really. kinda surprised. most feds are super cheap and prolly take metro, unlike the contractors/beltway bandits who drive and park for $24/day..

don't get me started on the shutdown. unbelievable.

on thurs am, i saw it was wet out, but not raining hard so decided to take pedal bike. once in the garage, i saw it was raining harder than i thought. my booties burnt up and wet shoes suck, so i decided to ride the electric to the metro, where i found a nice garage parking spot. i tried to ride really slow but got completely soaked. all from front tire spray. it thoroughly pissed me off.

and i finally witnessed the phenomenon where the water clings to the tire all the way around and then spins off the top. i hadn't really understood until i watched it in action.

anyway, i've been hunting for marzocchi fenders, like this:
MazFender.jpg

but in the meantime, got these for cheap:
sks-adventure-clip-on-bike-fenders-blk-26in-zoom.jpg

and determined to ride in the rain (and mud), i did a quick install with zip ties:
20131012_112434.jpg

this is a preposterous hack but actually works well. gotta live up to my half ass reputation...
20131012_111128.jpg

fwiw, i almost stopped by axel's this morning to snatch the marzocchi fender off the GT and do a mold of it to make one out of glass, but a bit longer in the back. but i had doubts that it fits my 888's and also wanted to get a bit more coverage closer to the tire...

i also got new rain pants and put waterproof spray on my jacket. so all i need are the booties.

and a new waterresistant battery enclosure... :mrgreen:

GCinDC said:
i've been hunting for marzocchi fenders, like this:

They might look cool but I would not recommend it for ebike speeds. I had this same fender on my old electric bike and I still got hit with water. If you ride in mud while mountain biking they are amazing but with just street riding they don't work too well.

This is what happened to me while riding at 25-30 mph:
DSCF0216 with water low res.jpg

yea! that totally happens to me too! I've always wondered if there are any ways to solve it other then to go slower....

GCinDC said:
totally my fault, looking for a way to cross the street when the ped started walking, so i was a bit late. so glad i've got good brakes. i hit the front so hard that the back came off the ground.
I suppose that man's momma never told him to look both ways before stepping off a curb.

had a nice shoot in the woods. used tripod and everything. beautiful and very technical root section, and had a nice fall, tumbling down the mountain, plus other cools shots, all lost. copied to computer but imovie didn't register them, so i deleted and tried another import but they were gone. :(

even wasted $47 on a restore program but the vids came up all black. :cry:

bummer.

going easy on the roads w/ my nobby up front. just a couple scenes from recent rides:
[youtube]UNkzKEnSXrA[/youtube]

Back