GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

55F in the garage overnight. and interesting, the pack was fully charged up to 83V but only to 93% capacity because of the cold!
20131024_072943.jpg

it wasn't nearly as cold the morning before but i'd noticed that the full charge only put it to 98%. so good to know the adaptto is calculating true capacity, not just a voltage based level.

unless of course something's wrong! :mrgreen:

in case you're not following the raptor thread, moonshine came over yesterday to borrow tools and i got to test it at 3/10 throttle response (but it still needs more!)
[youtube]CkiyV6L-Rl4[/youtube]

and early yesterday on the inbound commute, there were more cops than you could shake a stick at!:
[youtube]rJZJxcfAu0M[/youtube]

i'm on it greg. i'm gonna try "balanced" mode and see what upping the motor current will do...just bought a cromo v3 and a 19"x1.85 prowheel

http://www.prowheelracing.com/big-bike-rear-rim-1-85-x-19-blue/ GOT IT FOR $35 on ebay!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

...i first used torque but top speed is less as it stop pulling @ max amp and @top speed the amps dicreased...speed : your throttle position give the speed and the controller try to maintain balanced was the best for me : torque and speed signal with throttle, mak a lot of difference...try put 150A into it :D (you can adjut the zero/max range throttle too, usefull to have a bigger 0 zone and not having to fully twist your wrist :wink:

moonshine said:
i'm on it greg. i'm gonna try "balanced" mode and see what upping the motor current will do...just bought a cromo v3 and a 19"x1.85 prowheel

http://www.prowheelracing.com/big-bike-rear-rim-1-85-x-19-blue/ GOT IT FOR $35 on ebay!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

If that doesn't work, use Zombiess throttle tamer. That thing is like magic in a box and works exactly as advertised. Once you get it dialed in, you won't have anymore problems. I have a throttle tamer on my bike and I can't imagine riding my bike without it anymore. It takes some getting used to but it's so worth it.

[youtube][/youtube]
moonshine said:
just bought a cromo v3 and a 19"x1.85 prowheel
blue, huh? hmm. i'm probably going to for the black for $75... . :mrgreen:

same old, same old here
[youtube]dqPfoNJJlBg[/youtube]

nippy this morning:
20131026_071222.jpg

i'd charged it up like normal, and while the voltage reached 83V, the capacity is only at 81%!:
20131026_071100.jpg

i know the display shows 51F, that's why i showed the outdoor temp...

so anyway, my guess is that the adatto measures the amps in, and now that the cells are cold, the batts accept only 81% of the amps. sound right?

i've always experienced decreased capacity in the winter, greater voltage sag, etc, but had no idea by how much. now i do!

here are my total stats, fwiw:
20131026_071118.jpg

148 cycles, but only 63 full. interesting.. still not sure what full means. 60% or more?

almost 1k miles. when did i start riding it? july, right before WI i think, so about 3 mo.

something tells me the zippies are not going to last long... not the way i ride...
[youtube]sGkJjGMtcWM[/youtube]

capacity plummeting! yesterday, after morning commute, i could charge it only up 71%:
20131028_175825.jpg

and 'fully charged' this morning, only 67%:
20131029_151215.jpg

and tonight, fully charged at only 59%!:
20131029_205747.jpg

it can't just be the cold. the temp readings are higher than ambient because the controller is on an working..

the pack IR has risen quite a bit, shown here over a trip (not too fast either):
20131029_085344.jpg

charged, the cells seem balanced, here after sitting for some hours, but normally at 0.020V delta..:
20131028_150905.jpg

i'll have to check under load obviously...

andrey, if you have any ideas, please email me! :mrgreen:

here's total stats after full charge:
20131029_085357.jpg

Bill Nye the science guy said:
passing a cop, lol , that is balls man!

they really need to get this controller on the market. looks amazing.

I think ****** is expecting his any day now... don't think it's officially released in the USA but velomastera.ru finally marked it as in stock. I want mine...! And a Cromotor.

It looks like you can reset it to Full Charge via reset statistics menu.
should help.

btw some controllers are going to US right now,
for those who want it ASAP please contact me in PM.

andreym said:
It looks like you can reset it to Full Charge via reset statistics menu.
should help.
Even if the pack has reached full charge voltage (83v)? I'll try it now. I meant to ask you when I should use that... Always? or occasionally?

in other news, i'm not sure why i keep doing these...
[youtube]i0W3cZuurjE[/youtube]

i keep wanting to stop... lol

It's so odd to see the flow from the rear. We're so programmed to never look back. Make your move and keep going. :twisted:

melodious said:
It's so odd to see the flow from the rear. We're so programmed to never look back. Make your move and keep going. :twisted:
never look back? not sure what you mean... is this better?
[youtube]XzCJk__NbFE[/youtube]
:p

Awesome Videos Greg. I've just spent the last couple of days reading your entire thread. Fantastic man :)

What kind of temps are you getting with the 3540 with that new controller setup?

crezzy2k1 said:
I've just spent the last couple of days reading your entire thread. Fantastic man :)
that's cool. thanks!

crezzy2k1 said:
What kind of temps are you getting with the 3540 with that new controller setup?
memories getting fuzzy now, but i think the motor heating is much the same as w/ infineon controller.

heat is just something that has to be managed.... certainly the weakest link in my setup.

recently i think i commented how much cooler the 9C ran for similar power levels.

riding trails heats it up fast. i think i recently mentioned that on one trail ride, the motor was at 200F. i decided to go up a steep hill pedaling in low gear but in 10 seconds, the motor temp quickly rose to 300F, at which point the controller saved it by killing power to the motor.

i can cruise on a flat for a long time at high speed, with the air sliding through the motor vents, cooling it, but up steep hills, the temp rises...

just heard that my 4080 is shipping out soon. just bought a 19x1.85 pro wheel too. after failing to get a reply from volt riders after 3 attempts, (and to save myself from having to measure the dish, lol) i guess i'll lace it...

GCinDC said:
riding trails heats it up fast. i think i recently mentioned that on one trail ride, the motor was at 200F. i decided to go up a steep hill pedaling in low gear but in 10 seconds, the motor temp quickly rose to 300F, at which point the controller saved it by killing power to the motor.

i can cruise on a flat for a long time at high speed, with the air sliding through the motor vents, cooling it, but up steep hills, the temp rises...

just heard that my 4080 is shipping out soon. just bought a 19x1.85 pro wheel too. after failing to get a reply from volt riders after 3 attempts, (and to save myself from having to measure the dish, lol) i guess i'll lace it...

Greg i was fed up with the "heating problem " Now i have i little bottle with me, pouring little water inside the motor i do few meters with the controller off(to avoid sort the hall sensors),temp goes down really fast, and then WOT again!!

P.S i have painted the motor and move the temp sensor in the stator

sardini said:
pouring little water inside the motor i do few meters with the controller off(to avoid sort the hall sensors)
my only concern is that the hall legs will corrode and eventually break. i used to seal my halls in jb weld if i'm going to expose the inside of the motor to water, but now think permatex sealant is best - certainly if they need to be replaced again!

just posted this in the torque raptor thread:
moonshine was downtown and gave me a call at quitting time. so we met up and rode a bit, before i had to drop off:
[youtube]PWi1gUSlhF4[/youtube]
his raptor's looking great and can leave me in the dust!

That's an awesome video man. That raptor looks pretty sick in black. Do you(or moonshine) think it's worth the price?

You guys picked some good weather to go riding in. A bit scary because of how warm it is in November, though :shock: . I was sweating in my jacket all the way up in Rochester. Strange, the mornings are pretty brutal and misleading to what the day will turn out to be.

I'm liking the balancer solution though. Do you have a link for them?

Back