high throttle power cutoff

Dracis

1 mW
I'm running into a problem. I recently got a XB-504 model e-bike and found it did not climb hills very well. I tried the shunt bypass mod and fried my controller so got a 12 FET 3077 Mark II Extreme Modder LYEN Edition Controller (with HALL sensor) as a replacement.

I had already done a lot of searching for suitable upgrade replacement controllers so figured I would need to do some testing to figure out the phase connections and it took me a bit of testing to find a workable pattern for the phase wires but every configuration where it will spin has a high throttle cutoff.

The throttle dose have 4 wires (on original controller red, green, black, yellow...though on the throttle end they were pink, green, grey, blue where pink=red, green=green, grey=black, and blue=yellow) but it seems to work with just the 3 matching the pattern of the new controller (red, green, black) though it still sounds a bit rough at lower speeds to me and, while I don't have much to go on to be sure how its suppose to sound, it dose not sound as smooth as the test video Lyen made of it and I don't think it sounds as smooth as when I first got it, the smoothest sound i got from it was it going in reverse with 2 of the HALL wires swapped, which I don't think it's suppose to do, but since the X-Tream e-bike manufacturer dose not show or give any info on type or manufacturer of motor or any other part so I cant be sure I have the correct phase or HALL connections either.

Dose anyone have any idea what might be causing the throttle cutoff or any idea where I might find the info?

The Throttle cutoff happens at about two thirds or three quarters of the throttle and power dose not reengage until throttle is reduced to zero and turned back up but dose not need any kind of power off or reset of the battery or controller to get it going again. I tested it under load (holding brakes without using the break power cutoff) and got a large spike in power use but the throttle cutoff seems to happen at the same point whether under load or not so i'm relatively sure its not battery or LVC issues.

Dose this have anything to do with the 4th wire on my throttle? Is this a product of having the phase connections out of place? Is there something i'm missing?

The original controller had the normal Green, Yellow, Blue phase connector wires and connected to the motor in pattern of Green to Green, Yellow to Yellow, Blue to Blue, HALL connector was same with all wire colors matching on both sides. With this configuration on the new controller the motor run's a bit rough in reverse, swapping the phase wires to Blue to Yellow, Green to Green, Yellow to Blue gets it moving forward again but still sounds rough, nearly every other configuration I have tried gets nothing or motor lock sounds, the only other working one involved swapping 2 of the HALL sensor wires and that was also in reverse.

motor is 48v 500w that came with the XB-504, throttle and battery pack are also stock that came with the XB-504, Controller is 12 FET 3077 Mark II Extreme Modder LYEN Edition Controller (with HALL sensor), controller should be set to 48v 1000w, though it might be 750w as my request to Lyen about custom settings was to keep the 48v but give a 50% to 100% boost in torque for hill climbing (nothing is burning out so I don't think wattage is the issue but the program provided to change the internal settings dose not come with the exact settings profile Lyen created and used for my controller so i don't want to try changing the programming if I don't have too).

I am sending an email request for help to Lyen but id like to know if anyone else knows whats going on or how to fix it.

Any info on the phase wire connections or info or motor manufacturer so I can find them on Lyen's or someone's existing list of how its phase and HALL are suppose to connect would be appreciated as well.

it sounds like you have not found the correct wire combo for the phase and halls and even that the wheel is spinning with a combo that you have found ,, its not the correct one. The only real way to make sure you have the correct combo is measuring the no load current at WOT and it should be no more than 2A. the problem would be nothing to do with the 4th wire on the throttle as this is normally just to measure the battery voltage and power the leds on the throttle.. you need to go though all posible phase and hall wire combos and get wot no load current to move forward and help diagnose to see if there is a underline problem with the controller

thanks gwhy, Lyen had the same idea and sent me a sheet to work from during my testing, found the right set and all motor and throttle issues fixed, now if i can just figure out which wires are used for the e-brake cutoff since the only wires not in use on the controller end are the blue wire that use to be part of the throttle and an orange wire that i thought was part of the currently not working speedometer.

Since I found the correct phase and hall wiring combo and everything seems to be working. In case anyone needs the wiring combo, presuming the manufacturers aren't idiots and they don't randomly have different motors with different phase and hall wires.

X-Tream E-Bike XB-504 stock 48v 500w motor with the 12 FET 3077 Mark II Extreme Modder LYEN Edition Controller

Hall sensor
controller-----motor
yellow /green
blue /yellow
green /blue

Phase Connectors
controller-----motor
yellow /blue
blue /green
green /yellow

Dracis said:
In case anyone needs the wiring combo, presuming the manufacturers aren't idiots and they don't randomly have different motors with different phase and hall wires.
Unfortunately both motors and controllers may have randomly different color patterns, even within the same model and batch. :/

I have a controller here that has all green hall and phase wires....and it also appears to ignore the hall wires completely, running the same with and without them, or with them in any order at all. :(

View attachment Lyen's_Brushless_Motor_Phase_Wiring_Possible_Combination_Worksheet_v2.pdf

Ya, amberwolf, i can see that could be a problem. You might be able to treat it as a sensorless model to get around that, but labeling the wires with tags for the y,g,b colors and testing might let you find a pattern, even if they are all green without the labels. Here, i'l add an attachment with Lyen's worksheet, it might help if your having issues with the phase and hall wire patterns.

Back