Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

yeah laughing one, beguin when supermario appear, and coudn't stop when birds fly... :D
my rule is if you don't fall it means that you don't progress (cause you did not pass your limits, as a child...) I thought running concentrated throw birds was a child game :lol: =) but I like the way every e-riders seams to be a grand-child =) overthere, teaching lessons to the noobs and awaring them too :wink:

dan974 said:
yeah laughing one, beguin when supermario appear, and coudn't stop when birds fly... :D
my rule is if you don't fall it means that you don't progress (cause you did not pass your limits, as a child...) I thought running concentrated throw birds was a child game :lol: =) but I like the way every e-riders seams to be a grand-child =) overthere, teaching lessons to the noobs and awaring them too :wink:

I'd like to see if i got the gist of it....

"hyena funny, i started laughing at your moustache and continued to at your interactions with seagulls.
My rule is if you don't crash you aren't riding hard enough because you didn't learn the hard way as a kid.

I used to think "chasing birds"e.t.c. was a kids game but all you Australian ebikers embracing the inner child and being taught and awarded(?) and helping the beginners...awesome"

Hobbit said:
the gist of it....

"hyena funny, i started laughing at your moustache and continued to at your interactions with seagulls
My rule is if you don't crash you aren't riding hard enough because you learn by pushing your limits ...it's the way to get better skills...

I used to think "chasing birds"e.t.c. was a kids game, ...I think there's an inner child in every ebiker, and I love the way the old child people "teach" to others (knowledge / security ) on the forums.

I don't wanna make any trouble :D Just a mad french writing english :lol:

So t3sla is up from melbourne and i ducked out for a rather extended lunch break to go for a ride along the waterfront of botany bay near my work. As I sit here stranded on the side of the road i just want to say I the record that t3sla is never riding my fighter again! :p

Hyena said:
So t3sla is up from melbourne and i ducked out for a rather extended lunch break to go for a ride along the waterfront of botany bay near my work. As I sit here stranded on the side of the road i just want to say I the record that t3sla is never riding my fighter again! :p
Did he run off with it OR did he busted it? :mrgreen:

Technically all three answers are correct. He got a flat and I found this retardedly spikey thorned nut in the tyre that looks like it was engineered by nature specifically for puncturing bike tubes! T3sla left over half an hour ago for a bike shop just 500m up the road to patch the tube, which we already removes, so should have been a 5 min job. So yes, I conclude that he's run off with my front wheel and until he returns I will trash his name here on ES. :lol:

Also, its after 4pm now, I think my lunch break is weeeell over!

You better tell him to get his ass in gear.
Hope you know how to do a multiple block wheelie to get back to work. Could you get that on video? :D

haha I actually joked with him about that "I know you think I like doing wheelies, but I'm not *quite* good enough to make it the 4km back to work :lol:

We did however get on video a unicycle with rediculously huge wheel. 36" I think the guy said! :shock:

t3sla has redeemed himself, I'm writing this now from the airconditioned comfort of my office. 4:40, walk into the office and announce "boy what a day, I felt like I've barely had time to sit down at my desk today, good thing it's nearly home time huh ?" :mrgreen:

Lies, all lies.

What really happen is you stole my pedelec and while in persuit with your abandoned fighter I got thumb tacks thrown at me...

lol, thanks for the laugh guys.. i just killed a couple lipo(again!) so yeah life goes on and ebikes are worth it in the long run, most definately! btw how does one dispose of ballooned lipo?

also Jay, or anyone, i have somehow burnt out some pins on a parallel conector but not by series and parallel at the same time, any ideas how? very conserning... 2 plugs are ok 1 plug has a 3 of 7 pins melted.. mayby plug in battery with charger not turned on(bc168)?

pendragon8000 said:
lol, thanks for the laugh guys.. i just killed a couple lipo(again!) so yeah life goes on and ebikes are worth it in the long run, most definately! btw how does one dispose of ballooned lipo?

also Jay, or anyone, i have somehow burnt out some pins on a parallel conector but not by series and parallel at the same time, any ideas how? very conserning... 2 plugs are ok 1 plug has a 3 of 7 pins melted.. mayby plug in battery with charger not turned on(bc168)?

First step is to take voltage readings, of the overall pack and of the individual cells.
So hook up a battery medic and see what they read at.

Idea method of deposing involves removing all the energy from the cells, in LiFe you can 0V it and then short it.
Not sure on LiPo.
If you are worried about the magic smoke throw them into kitty litter and have a tray of bicarb soda.
What ever you do, DO NOT SEAL THEM WITHOUT VENTILATION.

The gas that escapes needs to ventilate as it can build and cause an explosion.

This is where the well ventilated area thing comes into affect, sure it's not good to breath it in. But you are far more likely to have a bigger issue gas builds up and something igniting it, ask A123 (they had that happen)

t3sla said:

This is where the well ventilated area thing comes into affect, sure it's not good to breath it in. But you are far more likely to have a bigger issue gas builds up and something igniting it, ask A123 (they had that happen)

no sh!t.. ok ill keep that in mind, yeah i was riding home and a beeper warned me of low voltage, but i had that happen now and then at the end of my run with the sag and though meh.. so i went another minuete or two and flicked it to 200w mode and pedeled home but then when i got home it was 0.8v :( so i bulk charged it to try and bring it back but then i noticed the voltage wasnt really going up and then after i disconected the bulk charger the voltage was DROPPING, i ripped open the tape and put the batteries on the porch and then had to go out so i put them spaced apart by a few meters in the backyard where fire isnt an issue... how hard is it to do lipo surgery?

i have 4 packs with a dead cell in each is it imposibly dificult to make 2 good packs?

pendragon8000 said:
t3sla said:

no sh!t.. ok ill keep that in mind, yeah i was riding home and a beeper warned me of low voltage, but i had that happen now and then at the end of my run with the sag and though meh.. so i went another minuete or two and flicked it to 200w mode and pedeled home but then when i got home it was 0.8v :( so i bulk charged it to try and bring it back but then i noticed the voltage wasnt really going up and then after i disconected the bulk charger the voltage was DROPPING, i ripped open the tape and put the batteries on the porch and then had to go out so i put them spaced apart by a few meters in the backyard where fire isnt an issue... how hard is it to do lipo surgery?

i have 4 packs with a dead cell in each is it imposibly dificult to make 2 good packs?

I've done surgery on zippy and nano-techs.
I'm not sure if I will ever do it again (that should some it up)

Each cells is stuck together with double sided thin tape, there is an art to separating the cells without mishandling the out foil.
The tape used on the zippy cells was stronger than that of the nanotech, i think this was because of the larger mass size.

Some of the packs require silver flux (reg flux doesn't help bond) to weld the top tabs (you need a decent watt iron with a large flat tip)
You can find that once you have re-wired the main terminal lead that the tab shears off, that is a BAAAAAAAAAAD place to be in.
Random conductive plate wiggling freely in a pack.

From now on I spray all my batteries with plastic dip, it helps to minimize this top arc issue.
sealed.jpg

My advice is this, if you're having these kind of issues with your pack you might want to spend more energy looking at what is causing the problem rather than rebuilding only to have it happen again. Maybe a DB25 connector that has a few break outs to cheap cell monitors so you can really keep an eye on what's going.

Remember, you are riding blind with no BMS or cell feedback. Something could easily rub or pierce a cell, this is very common when you remove packs to charge as I found with my skateboard. Consider going to clark rubber and getting something to line the cells.

awsome reply thanks.. yeah i made a db25 pin and have some beepers/ cell/all volt meeter from hyena. i have to hook up db25 and yeah i work full time and am fine tuning my first build and building second so ill just buy new packs. just cant work out wtf happened with the pins melting.. any way thanks again
HAPPY FRIDAY

I guess you should have test the balance with the BC168 before bulkcharging...

when riding and with the Bulk charge/monthly balance charging setup, I would recommand the cellmeter 8
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15516__Hobbyking_Cell_Meter_8_Lipoly_Battery_Checker.html
as it 's warnings for Too Low cell voltage When any cell is 3.20v or under , Too High cell Voltage when any cell is higher than 4.20v & unbalanced when any individual cell is 0.8v higher or lower than other cells. which that as soon as it doesn't buzz , no need to check the balance more than ...but an unbalanced @ 0.8V is already quite a lot I think and it's 15 $ !!! let's masters tel us...

sorry to handle this here I thought I was on pendragon8000 thread

Hyena said:
haha I actually joked with him about that "I know you think I like doing wheelies, but I'm not *quite* good enough to make it the 4km back to work :lol:

Here's how we do wheelies along the waterfront in Adelaide:

[youtube]8bZSyQV9vmA[/youtube]

:lol:

Bummer about the lipo Ken. This is another important lipo lesson - don't ignore the LVC warning buzzers!
That first step off the lipo cliff is a doozie, once a cell his 3.0v it can be mere seconds under load before it sags right down to 2v, and then death as you unfortunately found.
If you really must discharge the battery all the way down the only way to do it is to get off the power as soon as you hear a beep, then if it was just due to sag you can ease the throttle back on a little and continue a little longer while pulling minimal current. If it goes off straight away again it's game over. Once you start to hear the odd warning under full throttle launches you're not far from the end.

Architectonic said:
Here's how we do wheelies along the waterfront in Adelaide:
hahaha did anyone NOT see that coming ? :lol:

t3sla said:
Edit: Don't forget to http://www.hyena-industries.com/ click things on here :wink:
haha and speaking of our sponsor :p I just updated my blog again with a new vid
http://www.hyena-industries.com/2013/02/the-return-of-old-favourite-spewcamtm.html

But echoing what I posted there, the spew cam is back :mrgreen:
You're in for a treat at 0:50 :twisted:
This is just a teaser of things to come, I'll edit a full video later.
Interestingly the footage from this mount doesn't bother me at all but a number of people I've shown it to say it makes them feel sick or dizzy. heh

[youtube]pWfs0jcIqCk[/youtube]

JAY!! frickin awesome, Love the camspew view!

Back