I want to buy groceries

ebent

10 kW
If I park my etrike in front of the gorcery store I feel like a target for theives. Like most on this forum I have a lot invested in my trike. But I want to be green. Plus I enjoy the ride. So...what do you do?

ebent

I'm not so sure an e-bike is as big a target for theft as a normal bike. A thief is more likely not to know what an e-bike is, and therefore not know if or for how much he/she could sell it and to whom it would sell, whereas a nice road bike is a bit more obvious. I've never had mine stolen, and the weight of its SLA batteries would make it hard to steal without the key. Has anyone here ever had their e-bike stolen?

Your biggest issues when parking your trike in front of a store probably isn't theft.
It is kids or adults thinking it is cool and hopping on. They want to try out how the seat feels or the frame flex or shut their kids up. One of my biggest issues right now is trying to figure out how I can easily disable my future ebike to be safe for someone poking and prodding it. People around here think nothing of just trying out my bike sometimes even when locked.

As far as locking it I use a krypto mini on my recumbent to lock up to the bike rack and it just barely fits which is good because you can't stick anything in there to pry it open. The same lock I use with my merlin when I go to the gym. Most bikes stolen around here are mtb with suspensions and big flashy stickers.

I dislike shopping on my bike when it will be parked in front after 10 am. Earlier than that, all the lowlifes with no job are still sleeping off last nights drugs. Weekdays, the kids are in school most of the year. They are the most likely ones to do random mischeif with the bike. Walmart is ideal, or other stores that open very early or have 24hr operations. Seats are easy to remove on regular bikes.

Your ebike can easily get towed or removed if their is no license plate for security reason since the parking lots are usually private properties. Therefore, you may want to get yourself a scooter sytle ebike with a moped plate at least.

I had my ebike stolen halfway thru January. Wandered out in the morning into the shed and WTF no bike. Searched the section, asked the kids - nope they hadn't fooled with it. Phoned the Police and reported it stolen then had to drive to work.

Some locals in a nearby street found it dumped in a garden and reported this to the Police. The thieves had ridden it around town (about 2.5 km according to the odometer) looking for more booty. I figured they couldn't switch it on as and it was in low/low gear when found - so they ditched it as it was too hard to peddle around.

It was great to have good neighbours who reported the bike promptly to the police. I was extremely grateful to get it back with no real damage. The thieves (bastards) also took our two good spearguns and a diving mask.

Re anti theft of e-Trike outside grocery store.

I went through this exercise recently and the criteria I found relevant was,

The e-Trike should be very very easy to lock up so it doesn't go away, either by parking lot commandant or a thief or joyrider.

The lock up should be really really obvious so no-one inadvertently breaks spokes etc trying to get it away.

The e-Trike should have a parking brake or two so it will not roll unattended.

The electrics should be disabled until unlocked again and that should be obvious too.

The cargo compartment should also be either lockable or covered to deter opportunistic stealing of potatoes. :wink: :) The lockable compartment makes a great place for batteries.

This is what I came up with and it takes a bit of doing but works very well.

A key operated electrical switch is securely mounted prominently on the head stem or handle bars.

A steel handle bar is required preferably as it needs to have a welded modification done to it. The mod could be done in Alum if an alum welder can be found, otherwise it could be done with rivets etc but would lack the same level of security.

The modification makes securing the E-Trike temporarily to a post or bike parking hoop extremely easy and obvious. A flexible cable such as found on cable bicycle locks and some motor cycle locks is inserted into the handle bar and retained at one end by a heavy duty collar or collets welded into one end of the handlebar so that the cable may slide out through the collar or be pushed in easily at will.
Either a swaged loop and padlock is used on the exposed cable end or a fitting that replicates the bicycle cable lock male part is securely attached to the bicycle frame so the key locking part of the cable lock which extends from the handle bar end may be attached to it and locked.

This system allows all the enabling and disabling to be done while seated on the e-Trike, which is the same convenience as sitting in a gas guzzler. It is also really obvious to an observer that there will be no quick get away today unless keys are in hand, same as a gas guzzler.
There is no handling and separate storage issue of the cable, it is at hand whenever needed.

I have found that tricycles are generally welcome on the footpath wherever there is enough room for other footpath users to navigate, and being attached to a bicycle parking hoop is an excellent way to prove a point of acceptance in an area.

Alan

Perhaps my seat comment was misunderstood. Seats often have quick release on the post, making a really nice seat really easy to steal. But the flip side works too. Pop the seat off a bike, take it with you, and few will want to take a seat on it to see how it feels. Of course this only works with a normal bike. I'm not familiar with how it would work with a recumbent bike. If the controller has no key switch, I unplug the battery and tuck the wire back into the toolbox the battery is locked into. This makes in less obvious how to power up the controller and prevents the bike from moving if some kid fools with the throttle. The bike is locked to something of course.

I have key switches on my bikes, and I put them where they're easily seen. Then when locked to something it's as difficult to steal as a motorcycle. I try to make my bikes unique looking too, since there's not much use stealing a bike that's widely known to be ridden by the fat gringo. I'm lucky that e-bikes are extremely rare, so they get a good bit of attention. Plus thank goodness no one has a clue as to the value of the batteries hidden in that duct tape.

I have seen some of these Dutch bikes riding around Seattle with a Ring Lock on the back tire (they appear connected to the seat stay). They look like a quick easy way to lock wheels up so the bike cannot be ridden away, but I would alo use a cable lock or a U lock in addition to attach the bike to something solid.

It looks like you can order these as a separate accessory, but no mounting hardware included.

http://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/_product_81293/Axa_Defender_Ring_Lock

I will try to see how difficult mounting these to a 'regular' bike would be. I use a recumbent with a cable lock, but it is hard to secure both wheels and the frame without at least 2 locks, which is a pain to carry and to use.

BTW, years ago I had a college room-mate who had a nice racing frame that he carefully locked with a good quality U lock. One night we heard a noise outside the apt we shared, didn't worry too much and went back to sleep. In the morning we found the entire bike rack had been unbolted from the concrete and removed 'en mass' with about 10 bikes on it. My roomie was crushed. I suppose nothing can deter a really motivated thief.

Thanks for your thoughts, comments, and good ideas. I would lock the trike. Like previously said, hard to stop a motivated theif. I would also be crushed if my trike was stolen. If I went to the store and locked the trike it is unlikely it would be stolen due to a lot of foot trafic and I'd be back in 10 or 15 minutes. I know it could happen. However, I am more concerned about the add-ons. Like computer analyst, headlight, tailight, a topeak trunk, and other stuff. That stuff is a quick and easy grab. So I've resigned myself to avoid big box stores. At a small store you can either watch it or they might let you bring it in. I know where there are restaurants with outside dining. (No winter problem, I live in Florida). I like the idea of going early as the lowlifes are sleeping, due to their nafarious night time activities. Can't change the world so I'll just take the truck for groceries.

ebent

I use my ebike for everything including groceries. In fact, for "heavy" grocery days, I hook on the Bob trailer. I have a key switch to disable the controller and two cables as needed to lock the bike and trailer. The only bummer I had was one time I didn't lock it to a post (none convenient) and the gorilla at the store rolled the bike with cable through the wheel so he could get his fork lift by on the sidewalk. The cable was all jammed up in the wheel, but fortunately nothing broken. I made a big stink with the store manager (I was the only one in the store at the time) and they bought me a new cable.

Ebike are for using, so just lock 'em up when you go.

I just do the same thing I always did with any bike I have had: lock it up as well as I can afford to for what it is worth, and don't lock it out of sight of the front of the store. Best place for it is nearest the main doors, since so many people pass by it so often it would be difficult for a thief to have time to mess with it without at least being seen. Plus any security cameras the store has are likely to watch that area, and there might be a recording I could use to help the thief get caught and identified.

Also, I try to go when there are more customers going in and out, even though I don't really like busy stores it's safer that way.

Other general safety stuff, too, as has been said.

Back