• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Intermittent VESC - NYKO

celamb89

100 µW
Hi all,

Im in the process of my first eboard build. I hooked up everything yesterday, setup the VESC for nunchuck configuration. Works like a charm sometimes. I will be ridding and the NYKO will lose communication, this is pretty dangerous as if Im cruising and hit a red light I cant break. I have to reset the controller, i.e. keep the "S" button pressed until it resets and then reconnect.

Anyone had this issue? The receiver is inside a clear acrylic enclosure with the VESC. I removed it from its original receiver casing and soldered directly to a 7pin male JST connector. The length between the receiver and the VESC is under one inch.

Thanks for your input.
I did a quick search and just found posts saying to solder the receiver which it is.

From my experience, the Nyko/wiiceiver combo have unreliable communication/signal between each other. I've never used it with the VESC, but on my first board, it would lose connection in a city environment and then shoot out from under my feet. I found it to be way too risky and unreliable to safely travel.
I decided to swap it out for the 2.4Ghz mini remote. I buy mine off of aliexpress. It gets to me within a week or 2. Haven't had a single connection problem.

celamb89 said:
I decided to swap it out for the 2.4Ghz mini remote. I buy mine off of aliexpress. It

Would this be the one?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32607181070.html#autostay

I found a thread where people where just buying new NYKOs and swapping them. They mentioned that it's hit or miss in the quality. Still doubtful in spending money on something that might work or not, and for how long?

That's the one!
In my opinion, it's significantly more reliable.
But at the end of the day, it's your call.

Just curious... That remote says it has one channel. I see a throttle/brake trigger, so thats one. Whats the other channel?

Back