Just got my ebike kit from yescomusa what battery?

I just took off the stock tire that came on the yescom rim, I am a bit concerned that the rim will be too narrow for the 2.4" tire that I ordered. Here's a picture, what do you guys think??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397767790.830468.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397767841.493729.jpg

That's the newer kit. The rim is not as wide as the older one, but you can get a Cyclops on it. That was the size of my front wheel I put one on. That said, if you can find a wider rim, the ride will be smoother, more stable, it will be easier to mount the tire and tube, and you won't have to worry about rim brake calipers rubbing the tire if you have them. Here's the rims I use. They are a lot stronger than standard narrow runs too.
http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/FREESTYLE/DH39.htm
Alex DX32's have almost identical specs and would be a good choice too. And you can find these fairly easy, but more expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/Alex-DX32-26-36H-Black/dp/B001CJX3B6
I ordered a pair of these and stripped the rim off one to use with the motor.
http://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-DH-39-Alloy-Nutted-Black/dp/B000C15EBW/ref=sr_1_19

wesnewell said:
That's the newer kit. The rim is not as wide as the older one, but you can get a Cyclops on it. That was the size of my front wheel I put one on. That said, if you can find a wider rim, the ride will be smoother, more stable, it will be easier to mount the tire and tube, and you won't have to worry about rim brake calipers rubbing the tire if you have them. Here's the rims I use. They are a lot stronger than standard narrow runs too.
http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/FREESTYLE/DH39.htm
Alex DX32's have almost identical specs and would be a good choice too. And you can find these fairly easy, but more expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/Alex-DX32-26-36H-Black/dp/B001CJX3B6
I ordered a pair of these and stripped the rim off one to use with the motor.
http://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-DH-39-Alloy-Nutted-Black/dp/B000C15EBW/ref=sr_1_19

Thank you my friend, upgrading to wider wheels will be on the top of the list in the near future. I will have to first learn how lace the motor in the wheel. But for now I'll have to live with what I got.. I'm going to start a build thread with details of what I have once I get everything in the mail this coming week

That rim looks adequate for the job. In the late '80s and early '90s we used tires that size on rims 19-20mm wide. It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

The optimum rim size for a CST Cyclops 2.4", Maxxis Hookworm 2.5", or Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" (all the same size in the real world) is close to 40mm wide (or more specifically, about 32mm inside width). I have rims 32mm, 35mm, 38mm, and 45mm wide (outside) that all work great with tires in this size range.

Chalo said:
That rim looks adequate for the job. In the late '80s and early '90s we used tires that size on rims 19-20mm wide. It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

The optimum rim size for a CST Cyclops 2.4", Maxxis Hookworm 2.5", or Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" (all the same size in the real world) is close to 40mm wide (or more specifically, about 32mm inside width). I have rims 32mm, 35mm, 38mm, and 45mm wide (outside) that all work great with tires in this size range.

Think these 24x3.0 tires would work with a 32mm wide, 24", Alex Dm24?
(I'd probably be more flexible with the tire choice than the rim choice)

The Stig said:
Chalo said:
The optimum rim size for a CST Cyclops 2.4", Maxxis Hookworm 2.5", or Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" (all the same size in the real world) is close to 40mm wide (or more specifically, about 32mm inside width).

Think these 24x3.0 tires would work with a 32mm wide, 24", Alex Dm24?
(I'd probably be more flexible with the tire choice than the rim choice)

Yes, that should work fine. No, it's not ideal (despite the rim in the picture being about that size).

On a really wide rim-- say, one with 40mm inside width-- you'd be able to use tire pressures as low as 20psi or even lower in a 24x3.0" tire. That yields a cushy ride with outstanding grip on firm surfaces, and great flotation on soft surfaces. On an Alex DM24, you'll probably need closer to 30psi to keep it from squiggling laterally when cornering hard or riding on highly cambered surfaces. But it will work.

I wouldn't use a 24mm rim on a 2.3" tire, much less a 3.0" tire. If you like Alex rims, then get the DX32 for tires over 2.0", up to ~2.7". Anything over that and I'd get an even wider rim. I rode thousands of miles with 2.4" tires on 24mm rims before switching to 32mm rims. And I'll never use another narrow rim on large tires. That 7mm difference doesn't sound like much, but it makes all the difference in the world.

wesnewell said:
I wouldn't use a 24mm rim on a 2.3" tire, much less a 3.0" tire. If you like Alex rims, then get the DX32 for tires over 2.0", up to ~2.7". Anything over that and I'd get an even wider rim. I rode thousands of miles with 2.4" tires on 24mm rims before switching to 32mm rims. And I'll never use another narrow rim on large tires. That 7mm difference doesn't sound like much, but it makes all the difference in the world.

Don't you use high pressure, like 65psi? I don't know how you'd possibly discern the difference between narrower and wider rims at that pressure.

Anyway, it was tough to find rims wider than 32mm outside/24mm inside during the fashion heyday of dowhill bikes with 2.5" to 3.0" wide tires. The single most common rim on such bikes was probably the Sun Rhyno Lite which is 27.5mm wide outside.

I could tell the difference from riding on both. How else would you expect. The other benefits are that the tire gets more rubber on the road. The tire wears more even from that. Rolling resistance is reduced since the front/rear tire footprint is narrower. Stability is increased since the width of the footprint is wider. The tires don't roll as much in a turn. Shock absorption is better since there's more air volume. That's all I can think of right now. It's late. And lately I've only been using 60psi or less. That's one thing bad if you have narrow swingarms where the tire sits. With wider rims the tire is wider. 2.4" cyclops measure ~2.5" at 65psi.

I would like to note that I received my 2.4" Cyclops tire today and I had no problem mounting it on the factory yescom rim. I haven't rode the bike yet but I will check back here and give my opinion and results when I do.

wesnewell said:
Shock absorption is better since there's more air volume. [with a wider rim]

Volume, maybe, but not height off the ground. Measure for yourself and see. Tire height off the rim equals suspension travel for an unsuspended bike.

Also, the wider the rim, the harsher the ride quality at any given pressure. (This phenomenon is offset by the fact that wider rims allow lower pressure to be used.) But it's a simple function of the observation you made earlier about "more rubber on the ground". There isn't actually more rubber on the ground, since that amount is approximately the weight applied to the tire divided by the tire pressure-- but the amount that the contact patch increases in area for any transient increase in load is very closely related to the cross-sectional shape of the tire.

And the wider and flatter a tire's shape is, the less it deflects to pick up an increase in load. That's why I only recommend super wide tires to folks who are willing to consider using lower pressure in them. Otherwise, the ride quality gets worse rather than better.

I never said height was different and that has nothing to do with it. Look at a square, Now open one end. Now move those two ends until they touch and see if the height doesn't change. It will, but that really doesn't matter. Height will be determined by the pressure you put in the tire within the limitations of the tire and the load. In the ned, you end up with better shock absorption. Simple physics. Yes, at the same pressure, the amount of the rubber on the road is the same, but it's a wider footprint, which will give you a more stable ride. I don'tt know what you're trying to prove. If you think is narrower rim is better, just say so.

Boy you guys weren't kidding about the cheap tube and need for rim tape!

I just got done doing a temporary test install on a 36v EVG bike and took the bike out for a quick spin just to check things out (and get that new ebike grin!). Came back less than a mile later - added some air to the rear tire and heard that "PHHFFFFFT..." sound that we all hate to hear!

So less than a mile on the stock tube - is that a new record??

But it sure was a fun ride!!
Ran the kit at 15S1P (on HK lipo) as a test (will be adding more packs soon). Hit 27MPH according to my iPhone - but that felt a little sketchy with only the front brake hooked up and running an offroad knobby on the front.

I may have to dish the wheel to get the rear v-brake brake hooked up. Plus I want to fit a 2.4" Cyclops on there and it looks like the
that will be too tight to leave the wheel off center. Hmm - I just want to ride!

Now that I have a taste for this sort of performance - I want more! My Cyclops are in transit but I'm not sure if I can wait till they arrive so I may fix this flat and ride this weekend.

Oh yeah - couple of points:
I ordered the 1K kit from Yescom's eBay seller and received the silver "Champion" wheel - and it did not come with the disk compatible hub. Not a big deal as my EVG doesn't have a rear disk tab anyway.

But it looks like the other sellers may be sending out the disk compatible version while Yescom is not. But who knows if that is always the case.

Thanks again for all the contributors who have posted info to this thread. I've glommed on and followed your leads.

Martog said:
Boy you guys weren't kidding about the cheap tube and need for rim tape!
Oh yeah - couple of points:
I ordered the 1K kit from Yescom's eBay seller and received the silver "Champion" wheel - and it did not come with the disk compatible hub. Not a big deal as my EVG doesn't have a rear disk tab anyway.

But it looks like the other sellers may be sending out the disk compatible version while Yescom is not. But who knows if that is always the case.
They sell 2 different 48V 1000W kits. The newer one has disc brake mounts. The older one like you bought doesn't. You can add a disc brake flange later if needed.

2.4" cyclops WONT fit the black "High Speed" rim.. I initially thought it was on and mounted but I was wrong it wasn't totally on the rim... Looks like I'm gonna have to get another tire this time smaller... :-(

wesnewell said:
If you think is narrower rim is better, just say so.

Wider rims keep the tire more stable laterally. Narrower rims give better ride quality at the same pressure. I've been putting the widest possible tires on all kinds of rims since the 1980s, and I've had a lot of chances to observe the results.

I prefer wide tires on wide rims, with low pressure. If for some reason I wanted to use high pressure in wide tires, I'd use a relatively narrow rim to yield the best ride.

babyhughie:

Make sure your rim strip is centered and not riding up on either side of the rim anywhere. Then mount your tire and inflate it to volleyball pressure; you'll need to be able to rock the tire back and forth by hand. Work your way around the wheel, massaging the tire into its bead seat. Then hold the wheel by the axle, and spin it while watching the tire at the rim edge. If the tire appears to pop up or sink down on either side, wiggle it around until it's even around the whole circumference. Then inflate to full sidewall pressure (65psi) and check again. If it's still even, let off the pressure to the desired level (start at 35psi and adjust from there to your taste).

Your tire will fit on your rim unless there is something wrong with the rim.

Chalo said:
wesnewell said:
If you think is narrower rim is better, just say so.

Wider rims keep the tire more stable laterally. Narrower rims give better ride quality at the same pressure. I've been putting the widest possible tires on all kinds of rims since the 1980s, and I've had a lot of chances to observe the results.

I prefer wide tires on wide rims, with low pressure. If for some reason I wanted to use high pressure in wide tires, I'd use a relatively narrow rim to yield the best ride.

babyhughie:

Make sure your rim strip is centered and not riding up on either side of the rim anywhere. Then mount your tire and inflate it to volleyball pressure; you'll need to be able to rock the tire back and forth by hand. Work your way around the wheel, massaging the tire into its bead seat. Then hold the wheel by the axle, and spin it while watching the tire at the rim edge. If the tire appears to pop up or sink down on either side, wiggle it around until it's even around the whole circumference. Then inflate to full sidewall pressure (65psi) and check again. If it's still even, let off the pressure to the desired level (start at 35psi and adjust from there to your taste).

Your tire will fit on your rim unless there is something wrong with the rim.

I'm gonna give one last try tomorrow, but I believe the problem is the sidewalls of the rim are to tall.. I can get the tire and tube on but the valve slips back into the rim because their isn't enough room for the wide tube to sit down into the rim while inflated. When I start inflating the tube the valve pulls out of the hole in the rim.

Edit: I just went and tried again and the same thing happened, I got the tire and tube mounted fine, but right after I pulled off the pump the valve slid right back into the rim. Something is wrong though even with the tube fully inflated the tire wasn't snugly fit with the tube. I'm sick of screwing with it, I'm just gonna get a 2.00" tire and tube that I know will fit fine. I really believe it is the rim sidewall height that is the problem.

Make sure the tube isn't twisted and use only enough air pressure to form a shape but not too much that it can't be worked by hands into place. I'd also suggest a little soapy water wiped around the tire bead before working it into place. 2.1-2.5" tubes should work fine.

If the valve stem issue continues maybe post a picture with the tire & tube (slightly inflated) off the rim? I'm not understanding what you're talking about???

If need be, get a valve stem extender. They come in all different lengths. put it on before inflating. Any auto store should have they for next to nothing. Get the shortest you can find. It will be long enough. BTW, I use the XLC tubes also, but the 2.3-2.7" ones.
http://www.amazon.com/XLC-Boxed-Tube-2-75-SCHRADER/dp/B003RUDDLS/ref=sr_1_5?m=A2TE9IQP68MWQU&s=sporting-goods

I suspect the issue is the combination of a double walled aero style rim plus an over sized or thick tube. Together they don't give you a lot of stem to work with - at least until you get some air in the tube.

I just went through this issue this evening myself using one of those silly thick/stiff ultra tubes. After pushing the stem through I didn't have enough height in the stem to easily attach my floor pump. A smart man would have maybe found a nut to fit the threads on the stem and hold it in place in order to give a free hand to hook the pump more securely. I just grabbed some needlenosed pliers and held the stem long enough so I could get a good connection with the pump. Once I got a few strokes of air in, the stem pushed out fully through the rim and all was well. But this is one of those instances where a presta valve would have been handy...

I bet you could get this done with a little more cussing and elbow grease. All in all, replacing my tube/tire, refiling my dropouts, aligning the wheel and adjusting rear brakes was a two beer job. Of course critiquing the work and planning the next steps was another couple of beers...

Thanks for all the support fellas.. You guys are really motivating me to get this to work.. Between you guys, not wanting to wait another week for another tire/tube and money it'll cost I WILL get this to work tomorrow.. When I do I will post a picture :).. Once again fellas thanks for all the help.. It's 4am here, I need some sleep

babyhughie said:
Thanks for all the support fellas.. You guys are really motivating me to get this to work.. Between you guys, not wanting to wait another week for another tire/tube and money it'll cost I WILL get this to work tomorrow.. When I do I will post a picture

Deep rims like yours have spawned a new kind of tube with 48mm long valves. Get that kind of tube, even if it isn't quite fat enough. It should cost about the same as a normal tube with 32mm valve.

Chalo said:
babyhughie said:
Thanks for all the support fellas.. You guys are really motivating me to get this to work.. Between you guys, not wanting to wait another week for another tire/tube and money it'll cost I WILL get this to work tomorrow.. When I do I will post a picture

Deep rims like yours have spawned a new kind of tube with 48mm long valves. Get that kind of tube, even if it isn't quite fat enough. It should cost about the same as a normal tube with 32mm valve.

I didn't even know they sold tubes with larger S/valves. I'm going to still give it 1 more try in a few minutes but if I can't get it to work I'll get the longer valve tube and try that.

What's the word on the tire? I was about to buy one for my yescomusa kit, but then I read this post. Did you manage to get it on the rim?

Back