Just got my ebike kit from yescomusa what battery?

Greentime controller is great especially for $50, plenty of features most I don't even use. It has regen make sure when you order you specify the low voltage cutoff otherwise regen won't work. Shunt mod is easy just open up the controller the shunt is a upside down u. Just add solder to it and you will get more amps.

My greentime controller puts out 36 amps stock, by adding a ton of solder to the shunts I got it up to 48.99 amps (CA limited)

teslanv said:
Are you running stock phase wires on the Yescomusa motor or have you upgraded those? And how about cooling?

Still running stock phase wires, but since I'm switching to a crystalyte motor soon that one is going to have thick wires and huge cooling holes. On my yescomusa motor just have vented cooling holes.

evolutiongts said:
Greentime controller is great especially for $50, plenty of features most I don't even use. It has regen make sure when you order you specify the low voltage cutoff otherwise regen won't work. Shunt mod is easy just open up the controller the shunt is a upside down u. Just add solder to it and you will get more amps.

My greentime controller puts out 36 amps stock, by adding a ton of solder to the shunts I got it up to 48.99 amps (CA limited)
cool thanks. Is there a specific type of solder to use for maximum efficiency? or is regular rosin core solder ok?

Don't use acid core. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31643
Controller
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-72V-1500W-45Amax-BLDC-motor-speed-controller-15FET-4410-s-Electric-Bicycle-Controller/499889986.html

wesnewell said:
Don't use acid core. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31643
Controller
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-72V-1500W-45Amax-BLDC-motor-speed-controller-15FET-4410-s-Electric-Bicycle-Controller/499889986.html

Thanks, Wesnewell.

Ever try this controller?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...oller-sensor-sensorless/313864_522263950.html

Is it the beast it appears to be? Can these controllers be user-programmed with an appropriate cable?

I don't think any of the cheap controllers come with programming cables wired in. You can add them if you want and then find software to program them, but in the end, you won't get much more from them than their default porgramming to make much of a difference, other than maybe to burn them up. I have no need or desire for an 80A controller to put 8kw into my little 1000W motor. The 4kw I can put into it now would burn it up fast enough if I ran wot too long.

Hey bud, I have a question for you. I just bought the same 1000w kit from yescomusa and I want to also purchase the same battery you first purchased, the 48v 15ah battery. My question is how did you connect the controller with the battery? The controller uses regular bullet connectors and the battery uses Anderson's. Did you get some kind of adapter or did you strip and rewire your controller with Anderson's? Or did you do it some other way??

I ended up rewiring the connectors on the controller to andersons

evolutiongts said:
I ended up rewiring the connectors on the controller to andersons
Thanks bud, I just noticed that the seller gives a spare set of bare end Anderson's with the battery..

What was your top speed with the yescom kit and the 48v 15ah battery??

Is this the one your getting?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Bicycle-ebike-48V-15AH-Lithium-Li-ion-Battery-and-charger-US-seller-/331037670108?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1361fadc

I gave that battery to my girlfriend and shes now using it on her bike. :p
On the yescomusa kit I was topping out at 30mph, voltage range was 44-54v but would sag like crazy under load.

Currently I'am using lipo 74-83v 10AH now topping out at 44mph

Yes that is the battery that I am getting.. That is kind of my frame of mind.. I plan on getting that battery to break the ice and get used to riding an e-bike and then when I'm comfortable I can build my girl a bike with that battery and get HK Lipo for myself..

I would just go right to lipo but I'm a bit unsure of charging and connecting them in series and parallel... I kind of get how to connect them, but charging I feel could be a pain in the butt and dangerous..

For now I just want something that I can ride around 20-25mph hit 30mph every once in a while and have a little fun with it and be able to leave on the charger overnight.

What tires and tubes did you end up getting?? Are you still using the stock rim?? I just ordered that 48v 15ah battery and really want to upgrade the extremely narrow tires now.. Right now I'm leaning towards the CST Cyclops with thick DH inner tubes.. Id really like to hear your opinion on which tires you bought and if you like them before I make my purchase

Currently running a CST cyclops 26x2.4 up front with thick tube and Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x2.0 with tire liner and thick tube in the rear. The stock rim is very narrow, the largest tire I was able to fit on the stock rim is 26x2.1, I would personally swap the CST cyclops to the rear, because there is more weight in the rear.

I like having a narrower tire up front to have quicker steering. I actually have a schwalbe big apple coming in this week and will have that in the rear.

I've been running CST Cyclops for a couple of years now on both front and back using DH39 rims (32mm inside, 39mm outside width) and would never go back to narrower rims.

evolutiongts said:
Currently running a CST cyclops 26x2.4 up front with thick tube and Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x2.0 with tire liner and thick tube in the rear. The stock rim is very narrow, the largest tire I was able to fit on the stock rim is 26x2.1, I would personally swap the CST cyclops to the rear, because there is more weight in the rear.

I like having a narrower tire up front to have quicker steering. I actually have a schwalbe big apple coming in this week and will have that in the rear.

That's what I was afraid of.. I'm glad I asked what tire you have on the stock rim.. It really is super narrow, I would love to get a new wider rim but I just don't have the cash for it at the moment.. That will be one of my first upgrades in the future though. So it looks like in stuck with a somewhat narrow tire in back.

Edit: I have the same yescom kit incase u didn't know

The stock rim was 24mm inside, 32mm outside. I ran 2.4" Cyclops on it until changing the rim. Only problem I had was I had to add spacer the the rim brake pads to keep them from rubbing the wide tire. But the ride is much more stable on the wider rim.

wesnewell said:
The stock rim was 24mm inside, 32mm outside. I ran 2.4" Cyclops on it until changing the rim. Only problem I had was I had to add spacer the the rim brake pads to keep them from rubbing the wide tire. But the ride is much more stable on the wider rim.

You were able to fit the 26x2.4" cyclops tire one the stock rim?? Did you have any difficulty mounting it? What kind of inner tube did you use?? You had the rim that is black and says High Power on it correct??

I haven't yet ordered the tires, If I can mount the cyclops on the stock rim without difficulty and it is a decent ride quality that is what I would like to do. I just want to be totally sure before I order. Also I use disk brakes so up wouldn't have a problem with needing spacers.

I apologize for asking questions in this thread

The rim I got was a Champion silver rim. Just measured it again. It's 25mm inside and 31mm outside width, but that was after many miles using Cyclops tires at 65psi. I think original width was 24mm inside, but I don't know as I never measured it with calipers before. Could be when I first measured it with a ruler I was just off 1mm. But I also ran the Cyclops on the original bike front wheel which was certainly no more than 24mm. One of the reasons I went with the DH39 rims to begin with was for easier tire/tube installation. After riding on them, the bike handles a lot better and I'd never go back to narrower rims. I spent about $80 changing the rims and it was well worth it. Bought 2 front wheels with them on it and stripped one rim off for the motor. But yes, I ran the cyclops on the narrow rims for at least a year.

babyhughie said:
I haven't yet ordered the tires, If I can mount the cyclops on the stock rim without difficulty and it is a decent ride quality that is what I would like to do.

Any 26" MTB sized rim (ISO 559) will accommodate the CST Cyclops tire. The narrower the rim, the higher the pressure must be in the tire to keep it laterally stable. Some rims are tighter than others, but the Cyclops is not a tight-fitting tire and should mount easily on any of them.

There is no reason to use pressure as high as 65psi (the Cyclops's maximum rating) in a tire the size of the Cyclops. At that pressure, you might as well use a 1.5" tire and enjoy less weight and better ride quality. Where a wide tire like that comes into its own is at low pressure (like 30-35 psi), where it it can give the benefit of smooth ride and improved traction without a disproportionate increase in rolling resistance.

I should point out that the single most common tire and rim combination on Austin's hundreds of pedicab trikes is CST Cyclops tires on Alex DM24 rims. Those trikes can easily distribute 800 pounds or more among their three wheels.

I'm also looking at putting the Cyclops on my newly arrived Yescomusa kit. Do I want to order the Cyclops Pro with the steel bead or the non-Pro without? Price is remarkably similar. I will be using one tire on the narrow kit rim while I source and build up wider rims.

The steel bead may help prevent rolling the tire off of the narrow rim but it may be a real pain for fixing flats.

Any experience around this?

Thanks (and sorry for keeping this thread slightly off topic)!

Get the Pros. Pro tires have 60 tpi casing and a lightweight puncture-resistant layer between the tread and the rubber casing. The non pro doesn't. The pros also wear better.

Back