Keyne's DH Comp Build - now with liquid cooled HX35! :)

shweeet 8)

D

The 9c is the one in there now. I think I'll try out the x5305 next weekend. May be a couple of weeks before I have the HT3525 going.

Nice photography. Your bikes going sweet. I am currently building the dropout adapters for the giants, but allready got my head in a more advanced build that might make the project a bit redundant. I figure, you have proven the DD motor, better take it to the next level. Also helping Cicada with his Greybourg. He intends to pay you a visit on his journey around NZ.

One thing I love about the bike is how it opens up new riding areas - most of the sandy section from 0:41 - 1:00 requires full power and concentration on a normal mtb to get through! I only get into trouble on the ebike if I try to turn too sharply :D

Nice job. Love the video, it is good to see some shots of the bike, and not just from the bike.

Clay

I tried out my old X5305 today... Wished I hadn't in the end. I had big problems getting the disc not to rub, I mixed up the wiring and had to go through lots of combinations :( The worst thing is the extra unsprung weight really made my suspension feel bad!

Here's a brief list of my impressions compared to a 9C

Pros:
A bit quieter
A bit more torque
Takes a bit longer to heat up

Cons:
Much more difficult to mount in standard bike frames
Definitely takes longer to cool down...
Extra unsprung mass! :(

I went for a long ride, I filmed some of it (mainly because I had to wait for the motor to cool down repeatedly)

It is a 30 km loop 12km from my house, heads along the lake, up a ski field access road (steep) to a mtb/walking track in some high tussock land, then winds its way back to the lake road. There's a locked gate at the bottom of the ski field road which makes it tough going on a normal mtb as you can't skip the horrible uphill by using two cars.

[youtube]1FL8L1SYSCk[/youtube]

The video paints a rosy picture - I actually ran out of battery and had to do most of the best section without the motor (and in the increasing darkness)

I guess the most important thing I learned from the experience is that the X5 motor is too heavy for standard DH bike suspension (for me at least) - no wonder the bomber uses a moto rear shock! I'll be putting the 9C back on the bike tomorrow (maybe with some drilled side panels? :shock: :wink: )

I can't wait to try out my HT3525 - I just need my machinist friend to come back from holiday so I can get my mods finished! I definitely think water cooling will solve the over heating issues!

nice, you really have some beautiful landscape out there Kenye, the bike looks great too, x5 too much for the bike as far as weight is concerned, vent that 9c ;)

D

I'm so jealous keyne.. is the bike really as fun to ride as it looks like in the videos you post? It might just be me but it seems like on your 9c you are more comfortable going quicker because you're not as worried about bumps like you were with the x5 which is so heavy.

iovaykind said:
I'm so jealous keyne.. is the bike really as fun to ride as it looks like in the videos you post? It might just be me but it seems like on your 9c you are more comfortable going quicker because you're not as worried about bumps like you were with the x5 which is so heavy.

The bike definately is fun to ride :) I was holding back with the x5 a bit because of the suspension, but also because the x5 takes so long to cool down, I was less inclined to heat it up ;)

It looks EXTREMELY fun in your videos. Maybe its just cause I haven't experience full suspension with an electric bike yet, I'm looking forward to doing what you do, riding wherever I want at whatever speed the bike can handle. Looks so fun I can't wait!

deecanio said:
you really have some beautiful landscape out there Kenye
New Zealand is awesome! Friendly people, unreal scenery and enough adventures to fill a lifetime.

I travelled there with the bike a few years back, done a couple of rides around where keyne lives, also in Wanaka and Queenstown, where I met up with a friend to do a 4-day bike tour from Queenstown to Milford Sound. To 'acclimatise' we decided to go for a XC ride the night before, asked at a LBS for a good track and ended up doing the Ben Lomonds trail. That is one of the best tracks I've ever ridden - cut into a bank of a canyon with river crossings at the end. We agreed that a track like that would be banned in Aus, 'cause it's 'too dangerous' :roll:

BTW there's a great DVD came out recently called "follow me" with the last segment filmed in Queenstown. There's a behind the scenes on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2L2gZ5DyMA just to give an idea.

I just took apart my 9C to drill the side panels - I might need to buy another one ;) It's been pretty toasty in there! It looks (and smells) completely different. The windings are very dark, all the string has basically been toasted, the side panels are coated on the inside with a yellow powder (from the shalak?) I'm kind of amazed it still works! I'm a little scared to keep using it incase it fries my controller!

I think I'll drill the panels and buy a new one as well, then I can swap out the panels as I see fit - although given what I've done to this one I'd be silly not to implement some form of cooling on the next one.

iovaykind said:
It looks EXTREMELY fun in your videos. Maybe its just cause I haven't experience full suspension with an electric bike yet, I'm looking forward to doing what you do, riding wherever I want at whatever speed the bike can handle. Looks so fun I can't wait!

I had a play with a full suspension cross country bike before I started working on the Giant. It was quite disappointing because the light weight frame and suspension couldn't properly handle the extra weight. I think the key to a good off-road DIY e-bike is to start with a full-on hefty DH bike from the get go.

full-throttle said:
New Zealand is awesome! Friendly people, unreal scenery and enough adventures to fill a lifetime.

I travelled there with the bike a few years back, done a couple of rides around where keyne lives, also in Wanaka and Queenstown, where I met up with a friend to do a 4-day bike tour from Queenstown to Milford Sound. To 'acclimatise' we decided to go for a XC ride the night before, asked at a LBS for a good track and ended up doing the Ben Lomonds trail. That is one of the best tracks I've ever ridden - cut into a bank of a canyon with river crossings at the end. We agreed that a track like that would be banned in Aus, 'cause it's 'too dangerous' :roll:

There are still lots of trails around here that could well be banned in other countries :D

full-throttle said:
BTW there's a great DVD came out recently called "follow me" with the last segment filmed in Queenstown. There's a behind the scenes on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2L2gZ5DyMA just to give an idea.

Cool vid, nice to see some familiar trails (just done a bit quicker to what I'm used to) ;)

Hi,

I have a NC 2808 with a cracked disk side cover. Cracked it tring to get the cover off. Its brand new. You could put the stator into your wheel. If your interested PM me.

I have finished designing the drop out adapters for the giant. No drilling or cutting nessasry. Bolt in place. Fits 150mm dropouts and centers the motor, includes new disk mount point and derallier mount to accomodate for 25mm drop in axel height.

Giant-Dropout-adapters-2.jpg

Giant-Dropout-adapters-1.jpg

Giant-Dropout-adapters-3.jpg

Giant-Dropout-adapters-4.jpg

Will get 3 sets made next week, one for client, one for me and one for someone who wants it.
The DH Comp I bought was pretty rough, cheap but need to change forks, new bushes, rebuild wheels.
I was going to make a fancy sheet metal case for the batteries, but now thinking more simply to get the project finished as I want to build a frame from scratch with a mid mount NC or HS motor driving Nuvinci hub. Have 2 nuvinci hub builds coming up for other people, so will piggyback of that work.

Kiwi - PM sent re stator

Great work on the non invasive dropout conversion! I like what you've done with the derailleur hanger area - mine is too fat there so that I can't get the derailleur to the largest cog - effectively only 8 gears accessible on my 9 speed freewheel. Yours should be fine though.

Are you having them made on a CNC?

Kiwi - do your drop outs clamp onto the axel like mine do? That is certainly the best feature of my drop-outs. It inspires a lot of confidence :D

Kiwi - do your drop outs clamp onto the axel like mine do? That is certainly the best feature of my drop-outs. It inspires a lot of confidence :D

Hey Kiwi, I totally agree with Keyne on that point mine don’t exactly clamp but enclose the axel so it can’t move around which is a bloody good thing as in my heist to get the bike working I hadn't loc-tighted the axle nuts and I was amazed how fast they came undone if it hadn't of been for the axel being trapped in like it is things could have gone very badly wrong. Lesson learnt though I now have loc-tight on the threads and next time I go past the nut and bolt shop I’ll get a couple of M12 nylocks.
Right dropout and clamp.jpg

What are you going to make the dropouts adaptors from? I guess its got to be aluminium as that much steel would add a fair old bit of weight.

Are you going to start your own thread for your giant? it would be good to see some more pics of the build.

Richie,

don't waste money on M12, the hs/ht axel nuts are imperial 1/2" NF (20 TPI), i have nylocs for mine, couple of quid on ebay or any hardware store.
BTW do you have any pics/diagrams of your pack setup, mines the same and i'd love to "see your guts" so i can get a better idea how to cable them up ;)
Also +1 for having the torque arms pinned to reassure against loose nuts.

D

RichiePA said:

Hey Kiwi, I totally agree with Keyne on that point mine don’t exactly clamp but enclose the axel so it can’t move around which is a bloody good thing as in my heist to get the bike working I hadn't loc-tighted the axle nuts and I was amazed how fast they came undone if it hadn't of been for the axel being trapped in like it is things could have gone very badly wrong. Lesson learnt though I now have loc-tight on the threads and next time I go past the nut and bolt shop I’ll get a couple of M12 nylocks.

What are you going to make the dropouts adaptors from? I guess its got to be aluminium as that much steel would add a fair old bit of weight.

Are you going to start your own thread for your giant? it would be good to see some more pics of the build.

Its interesting to hear this is normal... I was having to tighten my nuts after every second ride or so, I thought it was because of my 'homebrew' drop-outs not lining up perfectly. Going to have to try some locknuts or some threadlock. And yea, having torque plates that enclose/clamp the axle can be a life saver, I was riding around for a while wondering what the tinkling sound was coming from my bike was before realising both my axle nuts were loose!

Your vids make me want to lug my bike over to NZ... I lived in wanaka for a snow season a few years back and now I want to go back for a summer of XC riding!! Easily the most beautiful place I've ever lived.

A few things of interest - I drilled 9 20mm holes on each side of the 9C up by the windings - definitely an improvement, but I still end up over heating it, just takes a little longer and cools down a bit quicker. If I ride reasonably flat terrain it stays within sensible temperature limits.

I played with the 120% speed mode on the infineon controller yesterday just to see how fast I could go. I took it out to my "private speed test circuit" (a long section of flat canal road with is official closed) and my average of my two speed runs was 77.6km/hr, so pretty quick for a bike that was never designed for speed. I'll put it back to max speed of about 60 because I never really want to go that quick. I find it hard to pedal much over 55 anyway and on my dirt tracks I don't often go over 50.

I've also found a ride I definitely want to make a video of - it'll blow you guys away! :D

Awesome build! I love the fiberglass/carbon side covers. It's all so clean. This is more or less what I want to accomplish with my bike, except I can't fit my batteries in the frame so they'll be hanging on both sides, between the handlebars and my knees in the fuel-tank location on motorcycles.

With regards to ebike wheelies, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think the issue is our throttle. Because we're controlling voltage and not current with our throttles, it is difficult to moderate the torque/acceleration from the motor. There's a few throttle interfaces that adjust the throttle signal to basically give us current control. Not sure if there's anything reliable out there yet, but it's something I'll be working on eventually.

Back