Landyachtz TopSpeed 90mm 10S4P DualRearDrive

@whitepony

What is the measurements of your risers?
I'm going with caliber 184mm, fly 83mm, and rayne avenger.
I'm very uncertain as to what size risers to choose, i would love to get your take on it :D

its angled (6 degree, changes the caliber 44 to 50 again, height at the thick end is 1/2") and another 1/8" ontop of that. its BOTH rubber pads though - bolzen has those really thick rubber shockpads - usually risers of such height are made from stiff plastic. the first post should show the trucks with the pads!

received my replacement ESCs today and went 50kph a few times. actually wore a helmet for the very first time and looked for some old torn pants so I wouldnt ruin anything of my still intact ones :lol:

the power of these motors is absolutely scary - if you are used to the smoothed out evolve, then its REALLY difficult to handle these double 63mm enertion bees. I really need to tweak accessibility a LOT - right now the board is very difficult to handle. one presses forward and it feels like the nunchuck->wiiceiver combo is ramping in acceleration - basically the boards starts off nicely and then it keep going harder and harder AND HARDER und you pretty much fall off unless you really really lean forward by a lot. its just downright scary what the setup can do, even when you are already beyond 40kph.

what I currently enjoy the most is the cruise control button on the nunchuck. accelerate to a speed you want to drive, hold C and just stay there. for small adjustments you keep holding C and push the lever up or down - the board will smoothly increase or decrease speed. the 2nd best part is the near drag free neutral driving - I often felt like just accelerating and letting it run free for a while.

problematic right now is braking - when I pull the nunchuck back, nothing happens for a very long time. then at the very end of the lever range, it decelerates with some sort of constant braking that I think I set in the ESCs. so far so good BUT: seemingly in a random pattern, the ESCs want to drive backwards. like every 5th time I pull the nunchuck, the board is braking superhard and wants to go backwards, the other 4 out of 5 Im just smoothly braking. its horrible, cause youll always prepare for the worst (reverse). does anyone have these issues? its probably an ESC setting, but I kind of heatshrinked everything on the GFK plate for now, so I cannot access the setting right away (stupid, I know - but it was good enough to just enjoy the board for a while - most of the time Im just carving at constant speed anyway). will fiddle with it later :)

very happy overall - the power is scary and 50kph is sooo fast on a board!! the top speed is pretty stable, didnt have any indication of speed wobbles. at 50kph, I couldnt really carve anymore though - so overall Ill probably rather go 30-35kph like I do on my evolve .. which kind of works very good with the motors. you can tell they arent really under much load at all at that speed, the bee hum is also really low at that speed and the motors were just a little warm after my quick tour. whats still to be done: finalize the case, shorten motor and ESC cables and improve the handling with the nunchuck, most of all braking but also accelerating which is really difficult unless you hold C and press nunchuck forward/backward for small step increases/decreases of speed.

done.jpg

done2.jpg

The board looks amazing need much more pictures ;).

Great job!

this is a gem. ideal setup on an ideal board. What is making me smile by reading your post is that it feels scary on a topspeed landy... I will run that on a 12S... Vanguard ! this is gonna be lots of fun.

whitepony said:
received my replacement ESCs today and went 50kph a few times. actually wore a helmet for the very first time and looked for some old torn pants so I wouldnt ruin anything of my still intact ones :lol:

the power of these motors is absolutely scary - if you are used to the smoothed out evolve, then its REALLY difficult to handle these double 63mm enertion bees. I really need to tweak accessibility a LOT - right now the board is very difficult to handle. one presses forward and it feels like the nunchuck->wiiceiver combo is ramping in acceleration - basically the boards starts off nicely and then it keep going harder and harder AND HARDER und you pretty much fall off unless you really really lean forward by a lot. its just downright scary what the setup can do, even when you are already beyond 40kph.

what I currently enjoy the most is the cruise control button on the nunchuck. accelerate to a speed you want to drive, hold C and just stay there. for small adjustments you keep holding C and push the lever up or down - the board will smoothly increase or decrease speed. the 2nd best part is the near drag free neutral driving - I often felt like just accelerating and letting it run free for a while.

problematic right now is braking - when I pull the nunchuck back, nothing happens for a very long time. then at the very end of the lever range, it decelerates with some sort of constant braking that I think I set in the ESCs. so far so good BUT: seemingly in a random pattern, the ESCs want to drive backwards. like every 5th time I pull the nunchuck, the board is braking superhard and wants to go backwards, the other 4 out of 5 Im just smoothly braking. its horrible, cause youll always prepare for the worst (reverse). does anyone have these issues? its probably an ESC setting, but I kind of heatshrinked everything on the GFK plate for now, so I cannot access the setting right away (stupid, I know - but it was good enough to just enjoy the board for a while - most of the time Im just carving at constant speed anyway). will fiddle with it later :)

very happy overall - the power is scary and 50kph is sooo fast on a board!! the top speed is pretty stable, didnt have any indication of speed wobbles. at 50kph, I couldnt really carve anymore though - so overall Ill probably rather go 30-35kph like I do on my evolve .. which kind of works very good with the motors. you can tell they arent really under much load at all at that speed, the bee hum is also really low at that speed and the motors were just a little warm after my quick tour. whats still to be done: finalize the case, shorten motor and ESC cables and improve the handling with the nunchuck, most of all braking but also accelerating which is really difficult unless you hold C and press nunchuck forward/backward for small step increases/decreases of speed.

done.jpg

done2.jpg

Awesome board! Maybe you should do a tutorial on making 18650 packs! You seem great at it!

had 2 building threads now with lots of battery infos - dont think its possible to release more infos about "how to" from my side. check my evolve and first page of this thread, should be more than enough infos about customizing layout, estimating average and peak consumption, choosing the right cell for the packsize and finally about the "how to build" with tons of pictures. so far, there slways has been pro advice in these threads too that changed my mind about details!

@subcreative: i nearly bought earthwing muirderer/NLS40, but I really like designs where the tires are start and endpoint of a board. best noseguard and I just like the looks of it :p

im not using VESCs, ordered the 12S dual ESCs from diyelectricskateboard and pretty happy about them after my last tour 5min ago. managed to set them up much better now (with a good base setting of torqueboards) - I really had them in the mode forw/brake/reverse which kind of resulted in weird stuff - now they are just in forw/brake and reverse does not happen anymore. fiddled with a few other settings and overall its much better, even though the acceleration is still crazy and fairly hard to control.

braking is nice now, zero drag neutral position and then braking comes in quickly up after neutral position up to the point where 2 rear wheels just lock at fully backwards nunchuck (happens below 5km/h and depending on pavement). I can ride much more aggressive now and brake very late. racetrack feeling :D

tonight I went out with my phone to collect some GPS maxspeed data and its really kinda funny:

here is my spreadsheet that shows theoretical max velocity - made that beforehand to tune the numbers such as KV, gearing, voltage, wheel diameter:
theoreticalmaxspeed.tiff

and here are my results from tonight, no wind, flat terrain:
maxspeed1.jpg

maxspeed2.jpg

48.4km/h or 30.2mph - it pretty much matches 100%!! :D

Awesome results whitepony, have you got any idea of the weight of the board?

if you have some tips for torqueboards ESC setting (i will run dual 6S for my setup) it will be great to share, my order is just shiped today :D

sorry vulthor, I dont have a weighting machine. :?

its not a very light board, the topspeed with the 90mm abecs alone was already pretty heavy, the 1.1kg engines with mount & battery wont help either. at least my enclosure is really lightweight. will replace the gfk plate some day with an even thinner carbon plate now that I realized how well this kind of enclosure works. I really love it, its light, minimalistic and still good looking, gives PERFECT shock dampening thanks to the 6 rubber cylinders and its nearly full waterproof thanks to heat shrink tube. and most of all, its one of the, if not THE simplest enclosure that even a craftsman-noob like me can build!
I also finally shortened the ESC->motor connecting cables - they have a proper length now and arent really visible anymore from the outside. looks very clean finallly :)

Im a little worried though, the board was pretty twitchy on my last 50kph attempts, so I always felt a little (understatement!) shaky getting there. back then I tuned the calibers without electric boost on my first 2 nights of bare board cruising and went for the riptide 87A krank barrels. that setup was kinda tuned at and for 20-30kph, so decided to tighten the kingpin nut a quite a bit more to increase the bushing stiffness earlier and uhm, Im feeling dangerously comfortable at 50kph now. but shhh, dont tell my mum! :(

@vulthor:

this is my current ESC setup - keep in mind this is for dual enertion 190KV with a 10S battery setup - might be different for you:

Motor Timing: Normal (torque uses very high, but that seems to hurt the efficiency and my motors work nicely on normal anyway)
Acceleration: Medium (torque uses very high, I can barely handle the crazy "medium" acceleration)
Running Mode: Forward/Brake
Brake Force: 80% (this is really a very strong maximum brake - if I pull back the nunchuck full, it makes the wheels lock at low speed even - much harder brakes than boosted dual+)
Drag Brake: 0%
Cut-Off Voltage: 3.0v/cell
Max Forward Force: 100%
Max Reverse Force: 20% (not using reverse anyway)
Motor Rotation: Normal, Reverse (use this or exchange 2 of the 3 cables from esc to motor)
Neutral Range: 3%
Battery Type: LiPo

chaka said:
You are going to ruin it for yourself! Haha, 30kph will never feel the same. You will always be wanting more speed now!

yea, feels just like that! bushing setup made all the difference as usual, ill most likely play around 30kph anyway for the endless wave surfing. what i like about eskateboards is not the cheap (and now also pretty fast) commute, but the carving. :)

really happy how the top speed feels, the awesome krank formula really just works, its so versatile! the increased stiffness helped 30kph carving too - got less of a turny, but more precision feel now! concave at the flares is a little bit too high for long distance cruising though. at the same time i love the locked in feel when i carve deep. bit torn about this feature at the moment, its my first board with such flares! :)

I think your components mounting methods is one of the simplest and most "achievable" options for mounting beneath the deck.

This is a concept enclosure I'd drafted a few months ago.. Was going to make some but never got around to it

[youtube]HdZmRjFfWuU[/youtube]

P.S. I would like to know your avg amp draw. Do you have a watt meter?

Also I think 10s4p is a great 18650 size. What is your range?

haha, nice! was thinking about putting in these "walls" between the aluminum cylinders that I had in mind at my first attempt. but then I realized that even a downhill board is somewhat flexy and stiff cylinders are simply not working then (nor walls between those cylinders) - they will bend and/or tear out the inserted threads. thats when I used the screw shock dampers in 2cm height, 1cm width and Im really happy with how that turned out.

there was a build in here, where someone made an enclosure from GFK plates similar to your idea (but with a base plate) and he attached the whole enclosure with screw shock dampers on the board - if you decouple it that way, the board can still flex and the case will be unaffected!

range should be something between 40 and 50km, I expect to draw 300-400watts on average with my typical 25-40km/h cruising speeds. sadly I dont have a wattmeter though, but maybe Ill buy one for scientific purposes ... Im curious myself! the drag of this board is really minimal, I can roll forever if I put the nunchuck to neutral. :)

Back