Thumbs up: Loaded Cantellated Tesseract

whitepony

10 kW
hey guys,

even though Im a terrible skater I am very sensitive to how gear feels and I really enjoy the endless min/maxing. been trying quite a few decks this year, mostly just buying them, standing on them to feel the 3D mold, imagining how it would feel on my feet while riding them, especially for longer tours. I returned most of the decks, except for my landyachtz topspeed which I used for my first "DIY" electric longboard after my evolve carbon, because I liked the mild middle of the w-concave (and its lack in my favourite stances) and the extremely high wheel flares, which give me a lot of comfort for heavy carving, a great cozy locked in feeling! :)

by now I think that initial flex does not really matter much - if you want it stiffer, you add a layer of epoxy & carbon/fiberglas, if you want more flex you sand a little bit off the board - its not rocket science and its both things anyone can do, no matter what diy skill-level. likewise you can just as easily adapt the wheelbase to your needs ... so in the end it mostly comes down to the perfect mold, the combination of (W-)concave, rocker, wheel flares, whatever modern boards have to offer!

long story short: while I returned most purchases (I tried to be as fair as possible with the shops and never accepted mail refunds or anything), the landyachtz topspeed sticked and so did the loaded cantellated tesseract. its a very interesting board and, even though its quite expensive, it feels REALLY quite unique. spend 2 evenings on it now, doing slight downhill up to 50kph, relaxed and heavy carving, tried some sliding (new kegels are soo grippy ahh) and experimenting with the kick tail (mostly failing on ollies and jumping down sidewalks). I used to do some ollies 20 years ago on small neon colored skateboards --- i didnt manage a single one tonight and it was still really a lot of fun. :p

this board is really inspiring cause so many stances work (good recipe for longer tours) ... in fact the board really invites you to experiment and set your foot nearly anywhere. youll find low concave & rocker positions towards the middle for relaxed long distance cruising and carving (mild W there), heavy rocker positions with stronger radial concave at the wheel flares for more extreme manoeuvres that require some locked in feet, the rear foot has even more to experiment with the tuck positions in the mild W, using the gas pedal like wheel well flares or simply canting in sideways into the flares for the radial concave and a really locked in feel. finally you can rest quite comfortably behind the wheel flares or actually directly on the kick tail and use it as an extra lever to kick your tail out (or do cool tricks if you can :lol: ).

best thing is: NONE of these positions felt extreme or in any way annoying like other boards did - they were all comfortable, unique and they all worked in mysterious ways. think overall its an excellent and very versatile board for DIY electrifications, especially when you keep it lightweight to pay tribute to the boards agility. :)

Loaded Cantellated Tesseract:
+ very versatile stance options
+ no annoying or uncomfortable features for ANY stance
+ board really invites to play around
+ comes with great griptape, its the first board where I dont feel like replacing the original right away
+ 2 wheelbase options per truck
+ wide and fairly flat patch to mount components
+ very solid finish, overall the board looks beautiful and very harmonious

- very expensive
- with 80mm kegels, wheelbite is a problem. i think I would have to use 1/2" risers for caliber 44s

neutral observations:
* the board has a wedging angle of 3.5° ... I set it up with calibers 50 (actually 44s wedged to 50 with a rubber wedged riser, didnt have anything else) and its of course super turny and agile now, probably caliber 44 with normal risers is more of an allround setup for that board, especially for higher speeds. that high agility actually allowed me to pump the board quite well though which I enjoy a lot :D
* the board is stiff, but does not feel completely dead despite the small wheelbase. still stiffer than my sanded down landyachtz topspeed. think mounting a battery would be no problem at all in stock configuration.

really enjoyed my time on that board ... suspecting that I might electrify it someday in a single motor lightweight setup. if anyone is looking for a versatile kick tail board with a medium wheelbase, look no further! :wink:

kegel2.jpg

Nice write up!!!!These decks are beautiful no doubt and asthetically pleasing as anything. For myself, I have trouble laying down such a substantial amout of cash for the deck though. All my decks are no more than 50 euros......and they seem to be working just fine.......sans warping of the 30 euro deck :lol: . I picked up the Madrid board used stateside and found Amano here in Spain (figured i'd buy local)

Sounds like you gents are well versed in boards and skating.....what is the creme de la creme of boards.

Whitepony sounds like you stand behind the Topspeed and Loaded Catellated Tesseract.
OKP I've seen We Funk Stealth Divsion, Loaded Vanguard.....

Any other recomendations out there?

for me the deck is the most important thing, followed by smoothly functioning trucks with a good bushing and soft pivot setup. my favourite deck & bushing combo is not too loose, not too snappy but not too sluggish either - a perfect middle ground of smoothness, agility, rebound and precision. a tiny amount of silicone grease in pivot cup and on the bushings helps a lot with the smoothness of trucks by the way. :)
finally of course the wheels have a really big impact on the overall feel of the ride too - wish i could use full urethane wheels instead of wheels with a core like kegel, flywheels, speed vents, ...

of all these things, the electric setup is just a very small part of the riding experience in my eyes - thats why Im often wondering why noone is discussing suitable decks, bushing setups and wheels in here more. :)

dont think you can ever say "XYZ is the best board" or "XYZ is the best manufacturer". for me its a lot about the 3D geometry and that simply doesnt fit every foot equally good, especially when you look at it from an electric longboard point of view where you often carve over long distances and flex/mounting areas play a role too.

First off - seriously gorgeous setup!

There are a lot of loaded haters. I get it - their decks/wheels/shirts/crap are expensive! I have had a couple loaded decks and i've always been impressed. Are they hands down better -nope. But they are nice.

I have 7 boards and my GF rides my Vanguard 41 because she likes it best.

I've looked at the tesseract and your shorter cantellated tesseract. Love the shape and looks super functional. Definitely needs a motor though!!

GJ WP!

torqueboards said:
I like the board too. I just think w/ the price you can get a CF Deck with a built in enclosure :)

well, I got it as seasons sellout for 160€ ... the only CF deck with a built in enclosure costs at least 100% more and has a very "3D modeling tool" kind of 3D shape (enertion): flat surface with bent edges that emulate some abrupt concave. no rocker, no wheel flares, harder to adjust flex to your liking. im also always sceptical about cavities - they tend to resonate. also wood is a little more musical than carbon from my experience with my evolve (could be the cavity though).

technical aspects aside, wood is just more beautiful to me in a skateboard setting. for the same reason I would never buy a carbon guitar or plexiglas drumset. :)

sl33py said:
Definitely needs a motor though!!

Ive had a few downhill sessions now, but god, walking up the hill really sucks. wonder how much raw board feeling is gone if I go with the lightest possible setup just to get back up the hills. single 63mm motor, loose belt for little drag, high drain 10S3P battery, VESC with regen braking.

anyone with the VESC: is there a setting to run some sort of zero-drag mode, i.e. fire up the motor enough to account for the drag of the belt in order to emulate a most natural raw board feeling when you want it?

Back