Large Removable TS pack - is it possible?

ryan_lirui

10 mW
Question: Would it be difficult to create a 24S pack of Thundersky cells that can be removable from a scooter, to then be recharged indoors separately from the bike? I can't get direct plug-in access where I live to charge a scooter and that's a really big problem for me. Is it possible? How would I do it?

depends on the voltage and Ah... otherwise you are carying a big pack !
for example i have mine seated in the back case. it's a 22S4P 20Ah made out of lipo's
IMG_0061.jpg

What is your original setup for your scooter ? 48 V / 20ah ?

72VDC Nominal / 40Ah

Cell Details: http://www.thunder-sky.com/pdf/TS-LFP40.pdf

I know it's big, but I'm not so much concerned about having to carry lots as I am concerned about the other practicalities such as having to split the pack safely, removing it from the BMS and other components, and charging it properly. I figure if I need to lug 2 or 3 large battery packs into the elevator from the car park every day to charge them at night, I can accept that.

Just buy those cells and a charger and configure it so that it will fit into your scooter. Only make a power connector to your controller to connect the 72V pack
It's now up to yourself how you build this pack. I see no problem making a removable pack.

ryan_lirui said:
Question: Would it be difficult to create a 24S pack of Thundersky cells that can be removable from a scooter, to then be recharged indoors separately from the bike? I can't get direct plug-in access where I live to charge a scooter and that's a really big problem for me. Is it possible? How would I do it?

Possible yes. Would you really want to do it? Not likely!

I have a 21S pack of 60Ah TS cells in my scooter, and have a smaller scooter that has a 20S pack of TS 40Ah cells. The 60Ah cells are strapped into groups of three, while the 40Ah cells are srapped into groups of 4. It takes about two hours of work to disassemble the larger bike enough to get the upper six cells out, and another two hours to get the bottom 15 cells. Getting them back in takes longer. I need to break the pack down to replace a pair of weak cells and I don't want to do that - and it's been just under a year since I tore it down last. There's not a chance that I'd want to lug these things around just to charge! http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8675

Best of luck Ryan, Andy

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Andy, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the entire scooter so I can get a feel for the size of it would you?
Here's the body that I am considering:
heise.jpg

Sure! The bike is an X-treme 5000Li - it's an EFun-D imported by Xtreme Scooters. It has 21S 60Ah TS cells installed in two layers. The bottom layer runs full length from the lower plastic to just ahead of the rear wheel. The upper layer of six cells sits right under the front 1/2 of the seat.

Complete:
View attachment 5000_rf_640.jpg

Part of the lower pack:

Stripped to get the two-layer pack out:
View attachment 1

Back