Link's first ebike. (Now: The S-Go)

Link said:
I think I bruised a bone in my finger or something, though. It hurts to bend it and it's swollen kinda bad. Oh well.
Betcha a dollar ya cracked it... :twisted:

TylerDurden said:
Link said:
I think I bruised a bone in my finger or something, though. It hurts to bend it and it's swollen kinda bad. Oh well.
Betcha a dollar ya cracked it... :twisted:

Betcha I didn't and it's healed well enough by Sunday. 8)

Johnbear said:
Hey Link, is that rim double walled?

The front? I don't think so. It's the stock one that came with the bike. The rear is double walled aluminum alloy; left over from the BD36. :wink:

Anyway, I'm sick of having to deal with the backpack thing. I'm thinking of a better way to do this.

1. Cut off the ends of the plastic part to make it flat.
2. Make a durable plastic case for the battery.
3. Stick them together.
4. Slide it onto the metal support when I want to use it and use a wing nut to hold it in place.
5. ???
6. Profit.

The thing will be covered in black canvas to disguise it as a regular pack of whatnot. I also want to make another special connector block so that the pack and the bike can connect through the open end of the square metal tube that makes up the structural part of the seatpost rack. :D

So, anyway, I ordered some ABS plastic off eBay today, along with a heat gun and some 4ga wire for a future build 8). A coupon that eBay sent me saved me like $30 ($10 off shipping for next three purchases). :D

I took another look at the wheel, and, unfortunately, it won't do just to bend it back. The seam where the rim was joined has split, and is just being held together by the tire and spokes. :(

So, I'll have to find a new wheel. Oh well. Least they're fairly cheap.

EDIT: I've been having probs posting vids lately. TEST.

[youtube]ED_pU2oDnug[/youtube]

Huh. Works now. That vid is LOL worthy, BTW.

Whoa, that was fast. Heat gun and 4ga showed up already. Still have to wait on the ABS. Any tips on bending the stuff? I was gonna just put rig up a simple thing involving a vice and some straight peices of...erm...wood or metal or something.

Also: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&item=250261054008

is half of the 4ga I got. Unfortunately, it turns out that it's actually copper clad aluminum. Yet this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&item=330246856626

stuff (no difference on packaging except for part no.) is solid copper. WTF? :?

Oh well. It was cheap.

EDIT: Also: Any suggestions for a new kickstand? The one I have now doesn't support the bike when the batteries are on the rack. :(

Dude . . . that video was fncked-up i gotta admit.

I like it.

I think . .

not sure.

but LOL worthy indeed *when drnuk*, he he!

cheers! 8)
J

Heh. Yeah. The vid's title ("Maccaron Chaccaron - Best Song Ever") isn't lying. :p

Anyway!

The ABS came in today. Unfortunately, I was at work, so I didn't get the chance to do anything with it.

I got six 12" x 12" x 1/8" sheets for $27 shipped. No idea if that's a good deal or not, but here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=&item=280237930368

This stuff is actually made for car audio systems, so it's got a grid and some circular/ovoid patterns on the back. Might come in handy. Also came with a free 350W set of tweeters. Prolly could sell them to recoup a little cost, but I'm too much of a pack-rat. :mrgreen:

A pic:

DSCN0220.jpg

Tomorrow I'll work out a cutting jig for them. I don't have a table/band/scroll saw. :? Then I have to work out how to bend it without screwing it up. Luckily, I made sure I had more than enough. :D

Might actually make up a proper bending jig using some toaster/space heater/hairdryer element if this turns out to be useful, which I have a feeling it might (custom battery boxes? I think so). I could vary the temp of it with one of my spare brushed controllers and some batts. :wink:

Kay, I got around to bending some of the plastic. It's really easy to do, even though I don't have a proper bending jig (the kind that's basically just a flat heating element).

DSCN0222.jpg

↑ Basically, all I did was sandwich the ABS sheet between a pair of wooden boards. 2x4s would be better because they wouldn't flex so much when clamped, but these work okay, and they have a pretty sharp edge to them. As you can see, I'd already made a successful bend after I took this, though I did burn a bit of the plastic on the inside.

DSCN0223.jpg

↑ The one on the left was a practice piece to see what sort of radius the plastic wanted to bend at. I got it very close to being a perfect fit, but it was just a little bit too small (by about ¼"). I'll cut it up into pieces I can bend and attach all the parts of the box together with. The second one is pretty much perfect, though one flap is more like 80° than 90. It'll look right once everything is fit together.

DSCN0224.jpg

↑ This is basically what I'm going for. I still have to add sides and some strips of plastic to hold it together. I'll see how much I can get done today.

The controller will be affixed inside to the inside of it next to the batteries, and I should have room left over for a gutted charger and a BMS.

I had to take a break because they're making me paint some dumb trellis. :x

On another note: Since working out my own relay-based balancing system for 72V 8) is going to take a while and I want to be able to ride this thing a lot, what's the deal with ebikes.ca's BMSs? It says that it's for a lithium pack, but it's only 13 cells. So it must be for lipo rather than LiFe?

Anywhere to get a good 16-cell LiFePO4 BMS? Preferably one with the LVC done on the cell level, as I'm still worried that a tab on one of the individual cells has broken off and I can't see it. :?

Okay, I only had time to bend one more U-shaped channel, and it was a little too small again, but I didn't get extra for nothing. I'll have to find a supplier for this stuff locally; this is easy and I probably will be doing a lot more of it in the future. :D

I rolled up into Hombre I mean Home Depot to get some nuts, bolts, and washers, and also ended up walking out with a benchtop drill press. WTF?

DSCN0227.jpg

Two complaints: The table's locking mechanism (akin to the kind used on a bike's seatpost) doesn't really have a long enough handle, so it's pretty hard to get it stuck in place. I'll probably fix that by cutting it off and working some steel rod in its place.

Second, it has a laser system. My problem isn't the lasers, it's the fact that they run on AA batteries. Bullcrap. This is just cheapness on Ryobi's part; all they had to do was splice a tiny 3V 10mA transformer into the main power line. But, oh well. I can do it myself.

It's definitely not a quality piece of equipment (there are a few much more minor things), but it's worth it for the price. 1/2" chuck, 2-1/2" stroke, 5" throat, 5 speeds, $100. I've been kinda wanting one, so I just broke down and bought it while I was there. I had a hard time resisting the band saw and the scroll saw while I was at it.

Link said:
The controller will be affixed inside to the inside of it next to the batteries, and I should have room left over for a gutted charger and a BMS.

You sure that's a good idea. Won't the extra heat from the controller age the cells quicker? It's not like you gotta worry about cold batts in 'what's-winter-land'.

Sweet bends BTW.

flip_normal said:
Link said:

You sure that's a good idea. Won't the extra heat from the controller age the cells quicker? It's not like you gotta worry about cold batts in 'what's-winter-land'.

Sweet bends BTW.

I'm gonna put a brushless fan like the kind you find in PSUs on it that'll turn on when riding and charging. It's not like I expect these to last forever, anyway; just long enough that the price of lithium has dropped to a more reasonable price level next time I buy a pack. Assuming it's not a car I crash into next time, anyway. :shock:

Plus, this is a stupid amount of capacity for me. I will probably never use up more than 5Ah of the thing. I can get by with a LOT of capacity degradation and still have it go as far as I need.

Thanks. Though if I ever work out a good heating jig, I'll probably get a larger piece of plastic and redo the thing in one piece.

I spazzed out today and bent two more U channels. For some reason, I thought I needed another one that fit over the batteries perfectly, but I don't. Now all that's left to do is cut some miscellaneous shapes out of the scrap plastic, do a little more bending, and bolt everything together. Unfortunately, the only thing (and I mean, really, the ONLY thing) I have that can cut this stuff decently is a freakin' spiral drill bit for my Dremel. I'm probably not going to enjoy this part. :?

Eh, despite my best efforts </lie>, it's pretty much turning out ugly as sin. The fact that I'm having to cut the stuff with a spiral saw doesn't help. At all. Oh, also I was doing that with the drill press, because my Dremel seems to be partially fried. For some reason, it only has three speeds now; it's supposed to have like 8. It goes from off, to 20,000, to 27,500, to 35,000. Lame. :?

Good thing that I planned on putting this in a bag from the beginning. It's not pretty, and at this point I think I probably will cut a few corners, literally and figuratively, and leave the ends partially open. Good for airflow, at least.

Long term solution: Get paycheck. Order 2' x 4' sheet from Tap Plastics. Go buy bandsaw (or possibly scroll saw). Do it RIGHT next time. :roll:

This hobby will bankrupt me yet. -_-

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

WTF is this? Ikea?
DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0333.jpg

*checks wallet*

:cry:

Anyway, I got pair of Voltphreaks individual cell chargers (same day as some giant 350A Andersons from magudaman ;)), and am waiting on a massive relay board to come in. Other than that, I have pretty much everything I need to finish this bike up.

'Cept I'm thinking about finding a dead toaster and making a proper plastic heating jig. Shouldn't be too hard. Just a heating element in a recessed ceramic channel. What to vary the temperature with, though? A normal light dimmer doesn't have enough current capability for this, does it?

Still need to order a proper sheet of ABS...

Nice saw, Link! Dimmers and most toasters/heaters go 15 amps. Harborfreight as one in a pretty box for brushed motors (most tools and resistance heaters) that is 20 bucks. Good luck with the project. U can cut plastic on a table saw! I have used a regular blade reversed (backward teeth) and if U go slow it works fine! Styrene and ABS best welded with MEK or methyl chloride. Be sure to work outdoors with these chemicals!
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Nice saw, Link! Dimmers and most toasters/heaters go 15 amps.

Yeah, that would make sense, since most normal sockets are on a 15A breaker. Can a regular light dimmer do that continuously, though? That's the equivalent of about 18 100W lightbulbs. :eek:

Also: Relay board got here. It's smaller than I thought it would be, so that's good.

DSCN0345.jpg

PS2 memory card for reference. :wink:

Link said:
Can a regular light dimmer do that continuously, though? That's the equivalent of about 18 100W lightbulbs.
Like otherDoc say, get the router speed control from HF:
43060.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

:mrgreen:

Hmm, I might. I'm running out of room in the garage. As it is, I have to use the table saw to make shelves to make room for the table saw. :lol:

Anyway, minor update: I got in two pairs of 14mm threadless pegs. One for each bike. Dunno why. :?

I could pull some epic wheelies without even touching the pedals on the the BMX, though. 8)

DSCN0382.jpg

Also: Does anybody know where I could get some extension cord that's springy? Like a telephone cord, only bigger? I don't know what you would call it, but it would be excellent for the PackCycle.

Link said:
Also: Does anybody know where I could get some extension cord that's springy? Like a telephone cord, only bigger? I don't know what you would call it, but it would be excellent for the PackCycle.

The SC4, if you parallel 1 each of the 14 with one each of the 18 will net somewhere between 10 and 12 gauge effective area if memory serves correctly. http://www.dedenbear.com/ACCESS_cat.htm Then again, what do I know?

I just remembered another option, back in the day when we needed a little stretch in some wiring like say a headlight on a chopper fork we would just roll our own. Take some relatively stiff wire, some that will retain its shape after forming, and coil it around a broomstick, screwdriver or ratchet wrench handle. Pull out the item the wire is wrapped around and it remains a stretchy coil. Not as robust as the real thing but a serviceable substitute in the right application.

Nah, I want it to connect to the backpack, so it has to be proper stretchy wire. Thanks for that link, though. That stuff looks almost perfect, only I wish I could find some similar to the SC4, but with 3 smaller gauge wires in it.

You'll probably have to go with 2 cords. Best selection of pre made I know of is here .....

http://cablescience.net/electronic-coils.php?osCsid=27777dbd428cde7c64dc215fa8ed0b99

just about all the standard stuff has multiple same gauge wires in the sleeve.

Hmm, looks like those are about the best I'm going to get. I don't wanna have to mount the controller in the frame, but it looks like that's the only way I can make good use of that wire.

Oh well. I do have an extra controller lying around. Perhaps I'll do something crazy like cut it in half, rework all the connections, and slip it down the seat tube. Yeah, that sounds pretty good. 8)

Me and my damn aesthetics...

Back