Luke's commuter bicycle. What Non-hub is all about.

gor. said:
liveforphysics said:
gor. said:
Luke, what A & V you run Golden? to catch-up with Agni you need roughly 190/170/150v at 220/250/300a
please, tell what you and Cedric do - it's important to everybody who runs bldc
View attachment 5
We have 680 phase amps available. We are using 500 something right now. 100v
...geezzz - torque - insane for this little motor
now i see why you been so excited (now i'm excited too)
file.php

just to see what kind of torque 40+ ft-lbs at low rpm on your bicycle:

continuous power rated, industrial engines - 750cc, 45ft-lbs/2500 rpm
peak power: harley 1500 cc 78 ft-lbs /2800 rpm;
... and sports bikes, peak torque low ( 10-15 ft-lbs/250cc, 25-45ft-lbs/600cc), but at 10k+ rpm (thus 100+ hp)

p.s. with such torkys - either wheel spins on the bike, or bike spins around the wheel...

Attachments

• FX751V_25hp56kg.power_curve.png
    FX751V_25hp56kg.power_curve.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 2,182
  • cv745_torque.jpg
    cv745_torque.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,182
  • honda.cbr600cc11ss_hon.jpg
    honda.cbr600cc11ss_hon.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,182
  • harley_rocker_c2.1584cc.jpg
    harley_rocker_c2.1584cc.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,182
flathill said:
The agni is nice maybe for a servo but moving magnet always wins for force per magnetotal
you mean rpm control at redline? tandem: dc motor - brute force 1kA ,etc., and bldc - just enough torque to hold it at borderline?

Luke, need dyno - badly
dyno +controller data, without which its all - just excitement and bs, and we can't mention it anywhere without being declared officially insane : )

liveforphysics said:
BUT!!! Despite it costing me a tire each dyno session, I will still try to make a video for you Doc. :) I don't know if it will be before the weekend though, as I'm really busy with projects at work right now.

AllRight!!.. Well count on you!.. that video will be terrific!!! :twisted:

Doc

liveforphysics said:
because you're going 60mph in 3.3sec, and 80mph in under 5 seconds, and by then, you're feeling pretty ready to stop accelerating and just cruise at those speeds rather than keeping the hammer down.

Any chance of finding someone crazy enough to pilot this thing down a quarter mile? Obviously you'd get to a point where you wouldn't want to keep twisting the throttle but would be interested to see how quick it'd be.

jingles98 said:
liveforphysics said:
because you're going 60mph in 3.3sec, and 80mph in under 5 seconds, and by then, you're feeling pretty ready to stop accelerating and just cruise at those speeds rather than keeping the hammer down.

Any chance of finding someone crazy enough to pilot this thing down a quarter mile? Obviously you'd get to a point where you wouldn't want to keep twisting the throttle but would be interested to see how quick it'd be.
Ill ride it! I promise to keep it clamped to the lights! 8)

jingles98 said:
liveforphysics said:

It is in the plans. :)

WOw!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So glad you got that controller dialed in, we have some amazing people in this community!

Just don't burn it up before you get a chance to spank Opti-Bike at the Peak! :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

liveforphysics said:
Bazaki said:
Very very nice ! I love these extreme projects !!
Can you share the specs with us ??

Sure, it's a simple parts list.

Scratch built cro-mo frame
Hey Luke, in the es-spirit of Open Source sharing info...

Please give us more details about your cromoly frame...

1) Wheelbase length is?

2) Bottom Bracket to Rear Axle (center to center) length is?

3) What cromoly tubing sizes, diameter/width & thickness, did you use for square & round? Would you change any of these sizes for a better city street design?

4) Would you change the frame geometry or anything else relating to the frame for a city street bike to make more improvements this bike does not already have? Not for any high speed improvements but just for city cruising & humping around anything. Frame geometry specs are?

5) What about rear suspension for curbs, pot hole smashing & survival, & Greg (of DC) general commuting w/trails & play-jump frame-workouts? How would you do that vs this frame you have now?

As you know there is a lot of interest to have an excellent DIY ebike frame that does not exist yet, so any design input you could provide would be greatly appreciated by many of us here on ES including myself. Thanks :!: 8)

Your commuter bike acceleration is sick-piss fassst... :twisted: :shock: I don't think it needs any improvement regarding acceleration for 99.9% of ES members. :shock:

Where is the "Add to Cart" button?

swade said:

You would need a pretty damn healthy wallet to buy my favorite 2wheel vehicle away from me, because half of whatever it sold for would be given to Justin for making this forum where I learned how to create the beast a free and pure place for people to learn.

liveforphysics said:
swade said:

You would need a pretty damn healthy wallet to buy my favorite 2wheel vehicle away from me, because half of whatever it sold for would be given to Justin for making this forum where I learned how to create the beast a free and pure place for people to learn.

can i get a hallelujah!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Love to see some on-board vids luke, perhaps one of you dragging off a car? (on a 'closed road' of course!)

liveforphysics said:
swade said:

I was kind of joking, but now you have me thinking! I wouldn't want you to part with your baby. Would something like this scale-could it be mass produced?

I have huge respect for Justin as well. He is a rare bird and this world needs more like him. That ride across Canada was epic.

Hi Luke,

Outstanding!

30 mins ago, we just turned up the power 19%. This was in response to noticing my new very strong rear wheel build wasn't having any of the spokes loosen up after some hard thrashing, the controller staying cool, the batteries staying cool, and the motor temp sensor auto-protection working well.
You just can't resist increasing the power until something breaks or explodes :p :lol:.

just a crazy question, what would you need to get to setup a drive system like this, say if one of us sent you the motor/controller and had you set it up similarly? I would LOVE to build a frame and just be able to slap a drive into it like this!!
One:
You gotta drill a pocket into the back of the motor shaft for the encoder magnet to get glued in. Then just some structure you can afix the encoder package to sit over that magnet.
Two:
Then you need to clock the encoder to be aligned properly, which requires an o-scope tinkering. Then you make sure you've got which is which for sine/cosine sorted out, send that to the sevcon's encoder input,
Three:
and you're ready to begin configuring the sensor to the controller and start dyno tuning....

....Its just too much time. Hundreds in labor to do the machining to mount the sine/cosine, hours of time on the scope and dyno. I couldn't do it cheaply, and the parts cost is high all ready.
Might be worth checking the quantity required for golden motors to sell motors (5kw and 10kw) with the sine/cosine mounted, aligned etc. (one and two above).

Then (assuming there are orders for something like 10 or more) you could charge something like $100-$200 a pop for the config and dyno testing and still do ok.

Did you say this motor is 10 pole? How many stator 'teeth'?

What max motor RPM have you been able to make the Sevcon turn this up to?

MitchJi said:
Hi Luke,

Might be worth checking the quantity required for golden motors to sell motors (5kw and 10kw) with the sine/cosine mounted, aligned etc. (one and two above).

Then (assuming there are orders for something like 10 or more) you could charge something like $100-$200 a pop for the config and dyno testing and still do ok.
I have a feeling the set up of this motor with the sevcon was well over 100 hours of labour! I would think $100-200 will not be enough...
You are looking at a motor that cost what? Maybe $800 in a group buy and a controller worth $1100-1350 plus set up and tuning...
Would be very cool. But I personally don't want to spend a lot to have the same thing Luke does with out a way to tune it. He can have Ryan de-tune ours a bit and up his a bit to ensure a win at any race I show up to.

But putting all that a-side I would like to know if a goop buy would be possible. Im broke now but maybe 6 months down the road.

liveforphysics said:
It's extremely controllable, you can limp forward at 1mph if you want, as gentle as a kitten. It also works pretty well as a pedal-bike, it pedals easier than the hubmotor bikes I've pedaled, and it's quite friendly to ride as a bicycle.

Really nice build Luke, and it looks so fast I'd expect the g-forces would give me a "roller-coaster headache", far more bike than I will ever be able to achieve. :D I appreciate the wide range of utility you built in, from pedal bike to street screamer. You'd have to put a few thousand miles on it before I'd label it a commuter, I hope you do! Any idea how much it weighs?

-JD

oatnet said:
liveforphysics said:
It's extremely controllable, you can limp forward at 1mph if you want, as gentle as a kitten. It also works pretty well as a pedal-bike, it pedals easier than the hubmotor bikes I've pedaled, and it's quite friendly to ride as a bicycle.

Really nice build Luke, and it looks so fast I'd expect the g-forces would give me a "roller-coaster headache", far more bike than I will ever be able to achieve. :D I appreciate the wide range of utility you built in, from pedal bike to street screamer. You'd have to put a few thousand miles on it before I'd label it a commuter, I hope you do! Any idea how much it weighs?

-JD

Thank you kindly Oatnet. You would never need to give yourself a g-force headache unless you twisted the throttle far enough to be asking for one, and then you're also very likely to give yourself an elbow and knee and hip outside few layers of skin removal treatment to accompany your headache. ;)

It really is a pleasure to ride. It's happy as can be doing 20mph on the sidewalk or bike path, or doing 60mph riding with traffic on the highway.

I've got no where near a thousand miles on her, but I do use it for transportation frequently, and really enjoy the experience it offers me. I had a great ride yesterday doing some canyon carving on it with a co-worker on a motorcycle. We hung together very well until the road surface got to a poor condition choppy bumpy section, and the bicycle's lack of rear suspension and bicycle tires just have an inadequacy spotlight shined on them as you struggle to carve at a much reduced speed, and the motorcycle just blazes ahead hardly effected by the rough road conditions.

It made me think about how I will do my rear suspension for my next DIY ebike, but even my suspended front felt very sketchy and loose, so it could require a bit more thinking. I also need to dial in my front suspension settings better, which could improve that feel quite a bit.

just curious ... if you did 20mph on level ground ... what would be the Whr/mi

MitchJi said:

Arlo1 said:
I have a feeling the set up of this motor with the sevcon was well over 100 hours of labour! I would think $100-200 will not be enough...
You are looking at a motor that cost what? Maybe $800 in a group buy and a controller worth $1100-1350 plus set up and tuning...
Would be very cool.

But I personally don't want to spend a lot to have the same thing Luke does with out a way to tune it. He can have Ryan de-tune ours a bit and up his a bit to ensure a win at any race I show up to.
If it was over 100 hours the first time I'd guess he could do it in under 30 the next time.

If not, and addressing your objection to Luke having a monopoly :shock: I bet someone else on ES could do it. You could also check with sevcon or electricmotorsport.com to see what kind of support they'd provide. Maybe you could learn to do-it-yourself and get a free motor/sevcon out of it. Another option that would be good enough for big percent of those who want one would be the motor with Method's controller.

Arlo1 said:
But putting all that a-side I would like to know if a group buy would be possible. I'm broke now but maybe 6 months down the road.
Contact golden motors and ask. If not maybe you could arrange to purchase plain motors and arrange the machining sine/cosine install in North America. Should be a lot less per motor for a quantity.

I want a group buy for the whole package.
I don't mind Luke having a monopoly money wise he is more then fair. Its just if I compete with him....
I don't think I need to go down the seven road I'm overwhelmed with work on my controller project and other things as it is.

swade said:
liveforphysics said:
swade said:

I was kind of joking, but now you have me thinking! I wouldn't want you to part with your baby. Would something like this scale-could it be mass produced?

I have huge respect for Justin as well. He is a rare bird and this world needs more like him. That ride across Canada was epic.

Should sell it. Justin wins, new owner would understand better that every lifetime is finite, and it would force LFP (who appears to be among our members, as having the most access to $$$ resources, access to technical resources, and greatesest capacity) to build an even better rig.

Viva la revolucione

len

Lenk42602 said:
swade said:
liveforphysics said:

Should sell it. Justin wins, new owner would understand better that every lifetime is finite, and it would force LFP (who appears to be among our members, as having the most access to $$$ resources, access to technical resources, and greatesest capacity) to build an even better rig.

Viva la revolucione

len

Your argument convinced me, and my father came to visit me in CA yesterday, rode the bike, and said he was impressed. That was worth more to me than any amount of money.

It's formally for sale as of now.

$15,000usd

Of that, I give $7,500 to Justin as a gift, and give $1,000 to each of the two guys who helped me to build this machine. That leaves $5,500 for me to seed the next build.

Back