Luke's new race bike build thread.

VERY cool Luke!! That looks like a blast! do they do that more than once a year?? it would be soo fun to build a bike for that! So the motor you used was brush less right? You like the brushed Agni better?? Isn't the brush less motor far more efficient? I would think you would get better range ans such from the brush less motor? Or more fast lap times before the battery startde to sag a bit, or does that not really matter at these power levels? I want to do a monster power commuter bike soon, once I get my off road bike done and something like this would be soo cool! The best part is it seems quite reliable! Does the extra weight of the big motor hinder handling in any way over say a really powerful R/C setup reliability aside?? Did this motor start out as the 10,000 watt version or was it the 5K??

Lenk42602 said:
... Nice history-in-the making. Congrats.Len

I think so also. Even my wifey and youngest daughter was amazed at the video! It blew me away. I think ol' rusty should never be disassembled. It deserves a place in a museum. I think it has more to conquer however.

In that vain, Luke be sure to check the fork over for stress cracks that may start to come up from braking forces. That is the part of ol' rusty that I worry about as you ride her longer and harder. Especially when you head to rougher surfaces. She is going to the top of Pikes Peak, right? ... :mrgreen: !

bigmoose said:
Lenk42602 said:
... Nice history-in-the making. Congrats.Len

I think so also. Even my wifey and youngest daughter was amazed at the video! It blew me away. I think ol' rusty should never be disassembled. It deserves a place in a museum. I think it has more to conquer however.

In that vain, Luke be sure to check the fork over for stress cracks that may start to come up from braking forces. That is the part of ol' rusty that I worry about as you ride her longer and harder. Especially when you head to rougher surfaces. She is going to the top of Pikes Peak, right? ... :mrgreen: !

Thank you Dave. :)

That fork is 4130 CroMo and designed for trials riding, so it should be a pretty stout little guy. It may be damaged though, I brake hard enough to be lifting that back tire up at 80mph, and it's got a lot of weight hanging on a pretty long pivot arm.

Fortunately, it's getting disassembled, and the fork and wheels are going with Ol'Pinky across the pond, so if the fork is fatigued, I will be doing my part to help support the overseas skin graft industry (and hopefully not organ donation...)

Naturally, the new fork-wheels combo will be better than ever before. :)
I think I'm going to move to a standard 17"x3.5" motorcycle rim for front and rear, laced into steel threw-axle trials hubs drilled for motorcycle spokes. This will allow me to run some rubber that is very well suited towards my application, as it opens up the front tire options used by every superbike, GP bike, supermoto bike, etc. It should also be very rigid, and add a lot of safety and durability for the high speeds and corner loads we're putting on the tires.

Tell your daughter if she likes fast ebikes, she can marry me, and with you as my father-in-law we will make some 9sec 150mph bicycles. :)

Tell your Daughter I will marry her.

liveforphysics said:
Tell your daughter if she likes fast ebikes, she can marry me, and with you as my father-in-law we will make some 9sec 150mph bicycles. :)

This is so funny! Since it is your thread, I think I can go off topic. I showed her your track pix, with all of you lined up and said to her: "Here is your future husband. He beat all those motorcycles, but two on this bicycle. The two he didn't beat go 180 mph. This will be an arranged marriage. Luke said he would marry either of you sight unseen...I like Luke"

She laughed, and hit me in the back of the head... that's the last I remember... I need to send her a link to this thread... :mrgreen:

bigmoose said:
liveforphysics said:

This is so funny! Since it is your thread, I think I can go off topic. I showed her your track pix, with all of you lined up and said to her: "Here is your future husband. He beat all those motorcycles, but two on this bicycle. The two he didn't beat go 180 mph. This will be an arranged marriage. Luke said he would marry either of you sight unseen...I like Luke"

She laughed, and hit me in the back of the head... that's the last I remember... I need to send her a link to this thread... :mrgreen:

I love it!

I will wear a helmet with some padding for the back of my head at the wedding. :)

Really.

That is freaking nuts.... you guys are hilarious.

So let me just get this straight ....Bigmoose is offering his daughter to Luke...pressing daughter on Luke actually....like an ebike arranged marriage.

LukE said something about handlebars and wearing a helmet.

This is just classic.

But this thread would be much better with more pictures!!!

GM you are getting it pretty straight. The back of the head story goes back to all our driving vacations. Rachie always sat behind me, and I always drove. We would start clowning around on the long trips and she would whack me in the back of the head... sometimes it got pretty hard. Then one day, actually the middle of the night, about 2 or 3 am I saw a longhorn steer about a foot or so from the white line on the Georgia interstate... she went and whacked me really hard after that near encounter with beef on the hoof!

I sent her a link to this thread... she may show up... she will add some "color" I am sure to my comments. :wink: No one makes me laugh more than her... "poof" "teusch..." < inside joke...

A home built pedal e-bike.
The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.
And a podium finish. Awesome.

Would this be the first bike with pedals to make a lap of that track?

Actually, it very well could be! You should look into it, I bet it is! That would be cool!

Ah crap beat me to it! Lol! I bet its definitely the fastest!

TylerDurden said:
Rider: "I'll try not to run you over when that thing falls apart..."
Luke: "So, you're saying you're gonna be behind me..."

That was epic. I got a good laugh at that one!

mdd0127 said:
TylerDurden said:
Rider: "I'll try not to run you over when that thing falls apart..."
Luke: "So, you're saying you're gonna be behind me..."

That was epic. I got a good laugh at that one!

+ one on this

Wasn't that one of the guys he overtook anyhow.Would have had to eat his words.

This race and home brew bike make me think of that movie. Worlds fastest indian :D

Kurt

You and the Bicycle of Doom will be in the history books!

It will be interesting to see the AC/BLDC (Mission/Brammo) battle play out. I imagine the Mission bike has a copper rotor like the Tesla. The Brammo bike is using a modified Parker motor. I know you hate regen (on bikes), but in general, do BLDC motors have an advantage is this area??

Scary to hear your Kelly malfunctioned and went into regen mode...Was another bike (EMI source) near you when it gitched? I remember reading way back Neal Saiki selected a brushed motor because of he thought the risk of glitches was too great with brushless controllers. Smart guy. Makes me wonder if there is some truth to the Prius acceleration glitch.

semirelated: be careful with MagicPie (Spontaneous acceleration): http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29385&p=423934&hilit=key+battery#p423934

I was debating buying Sevcon vs Kelly...now I'm almost certainly buying the Sevcon (semi-military grade). I wish I could get my hands on some real military grade stuff: http://www.sensitron.com/motorcontrollers.htm (note many are not for export). The 1200V SiC MOSFETs are rolling out now so we'll catch up soon :D Imagine a 100hp controller the size of a pack of cards :twisted:

Tiberius said:
Hey Luke, amazing work well done.

So let me get this right. There were two professional superfast motorbikes, a number of other electric motorbikes, and your bicycle. And only the two superfast guys beat you?

Nick

Well thats the way i read it, and (no offence luke) it didnt really look like Luke was giving it 100% either, he was taking it easy inthe corners for sure. Must have been a bunch of wusses on the zero motorbikes.

You never know, next year with the new front forks, motorcycle tyres and a few more KW's he could be hanging it with the brammo :)

I'm just wondering....at which point is a bicycle a bicycle and not a motorcycle?

At which point is using a bicycle frame with everything else motorcycle rated on it a bicycle? Are you really pushing the "boundary" of bicycles or are you just a nut using a bicycle frame WAY beyond the safe operating limits.With the same analogy a guy can strap a huge motor on a stand up scooter, blast around the track like a mad man and go proclaim "hes beating up on bicycles and motorcycles"

IMO, the electric motorcycles u built def dont look purpose built for the track, and are built for longer range and reliability.

Back in 1907 Harley Davidson's first motorcycle looked a lot like the gasser bicycles of today, so at which point did the HD go from being a bicycle to a motorcycle?
At which point will your "bicycle" go from being a bicycle to a motorcycle?

When he takes the peddles off silly. :wink:

if its gots peddles and they work its a bicycle!

Arlo1 said:
When he takes the peddles off silly. :wink:

if its gots peddles and they work its a bicycle!
150.jpg
No pedals, no sprocket, no chain, no brakes, but still a bicycle.

I also would say weight comes in the equation...to me anything heavier than a stealth bomber (125lbs) even with peddles is a motorcycle.

But the best acid test of motorcycle vs bicycle test came from luke himself.

Something like if you can ride past a cop and not get pulled over then its a bicycle.

Its absolutely key to be able to ride your electric horse around the streets in the grey area known as "bicycle"...so much more fun and freedom than being on something branded as a e-motorcycle wtih all the laws and regulations that come with it. (no riding on golf courses at night, no riding on bike paths, etc)

Speaking of weight;

The reason this bike is so freakin awesome is one thing---- Power to weight ratio. That is what makes a vehicle fast (yes, I know other things come into play like overall design). Once you max out the design and do your R&D it all comes down to reducing weight while retaining power. Luke's bike has only what is absolutely needed for speed (the pedals could go, though).

My hat goes off to you, Man!

Matt

Hey Green, how goes it? I need to call you soon and catch up! :wink:

I agree, just some better traction so he can hang the corners harder, more like the super bikes and he would be MUCH faster! Racing does require very similar speed to beat another vehicle, but very regularly in road racing you can win with a less than fastest vehicle power wise, as long as you can out handle them! If he had similar tires and suspension, with the HUGE weight advantage he has, he should be able to EASILY out corner even the super bikes if its setup properly. That along with a bit more power might just surprise everyone!

Back