Mongoose CX 450 Builds

Nice, good to know the stock contoller works. Don't forget to keep an eye on your voltage. The stock contoller doesnt have low voltage cutoff. Glad to hear your having fun!

EBS

On another note I wonder what es members could do with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2MYHT6hgk4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

EvoBikeShop said:
Nice, good to know the stock contoller works. Don't forget to keep an eye on your voltage. The stock contoller doesnt have low voltage cutoff. Glad to hear your having fun!

EBS

On another note I wonder what es members could do with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2MYHT6hgk4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks! I have an eBay LED volt meter on its way from China, and each battery has a lipo buzzer.

That Overlander looks neat, like a power chair mated with a rock crawler ;)

EvoBikeShop said:
I need a professional opinion, what do you guys think?

Do you mean swapping the motor/swingarm from the Mongoose onto the Next? The larger frame will make pedaling easier, but would you try to find a way to make a 26" tire work on the back, or stick with the 20s? And you have to be creative with battery placement.

EvoBikeShop said:
I need a professional opinion, what do you guys think?
hi would help to know why ,as i see it the only real diffrenc is the seat position and looking at it the only benafits (higher seat for longer legs ,could sneak past cops pretending to peddle no obvious battery)

The main reason why I'm thinking about swapping the frames is because of weight. I have not stripped the mongoose down to the frame to see how much the difference is, but with the section I cut off i was supprised in how much it weighed.

The second reason is i could fit an even larger front sproket on it. I want to be able to have my pedaling at speed actually do something.

But thanks for the input. I'm not sure yet of what I'm going to do.

EBS

EvoBikeShop said:
Hey maurtis, i was wondering why you are using both 4s and 5s packs?

EBS

To connect serially to make 9s packs. So with three 4s 5AH pack and three 5s 5AH packs, I can make one 9s3p 15AH pack.

I know 4 of them definitely will fit in the box, I could probably arrange all 6 in there if I tried. I considered using the stock box but really want a way to easily remove the batteries from the bike for charging off-bike, and in case I get a burning sensation down there during a ride...

Being new to lipos, I am still very fearful of them, LOL. When my son inherits the bike, I will convert it to a platform more amenable to abuse.

Built a range extender pack today. I used some of the sla packs that I had from before (7ah). It works well so I will be ordering another set of the bamboo batteries to replace the sla's in the pack. Right now i have a seperate charger for the sla's just to be safe.

On another note, I think im just going to stick with 24v, its fast enough for me the way it is. So I'm just going to upgrade the controller and motor so i will have more amps and low voltage shut off.

EBS

Attachments

• 20130306_180401.jpg
    20130306_180401.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,689
Good idea with the Camelback! I used to carry my motorcycle battery in a backpack for a few months after I changed out my stock tail section for a solo tail with underseat exhaust. Eventually I found a good place for the battery, but my buddies all thought I was crazy for carrying my battery on my back, since in the event of a get-off I would still be tethered to the bike. I figured the fuse holders the battery cables were connected to were plastic and they would give, but good thing I never had to find out.

What motor are you thinking of upgrading to? I may have missed that part of the post. Staying mid-drive, or going hub?

The plug system that im using should release easily in case of an accident, which hopefully i never need to find out either.

This is the motor and controller setup I plan on using:

The motor is rated for 24A rather then the 16A we have stock.
http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=52_55&product_id=57

Here is the controller, it has built in low voltage protection.
http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_73&product_id=160

How are things coming with your battery pack? If you end up not using the battery box orange top covers, can I have them?

EBS

I was considering getting an ammeter/voltmeter combo instead of just a voltmeter, I might do that once I get the battery pack together and everything installed. Where did you find that the stock motor was only 16A? A 50% increase would be great, especially with the smaller rear sprocket! While the stock controller claims to be 35A, I would not be shocked if that were not the case... It is pretty tiny.

I had planned on mounting my voltmeter and keyswitch in the orange covers, but if I end up not using them and want to take them off, I will definitely send them your way.

I have been sick for most of this week, so hope to make some good progress on the battery pack and mounting the 16T freewheel this weekend...

Hope you get better soon, the 16t should make a hell of a difference on 9s.

On a seperate topic I just got off the phone with Martin (nice and helpful guy) at stark power and i may end up ordering 2 of these for inside my battery box and use the bamboo in my extended range pack. They have a built BMS too. They are only 30a max discharge but good enough for our bikes.

http://store.starkpower.com/12V-12Ah-StarkPower-UltraEnergy-LiFePO-Lithium-Energy-Storage-Battery-_p_22.html

EBS

EvoBikeShop said:
On a seperate topic I just got off the phone with Martin (nice and helpful guy) at stark power and i may end up ordering 2 of these for inside my battery box and use the bamboo in my extended range pack. They have a built BMS too. They are only 30a max discharge but good enough for our bikes.

http://store.starkpower.com/12V-12Ah-StarkPower-UltraEnergy-LiFePO-Lithium-Energy-Storage-Battery-_p_22.html

EBS

Nice, if they are the same form factor as the stock 12v 12ah SLAs, then will make a nice and easy swap. Excellent! And if the shipping is not murder, the price it right.

EvoBikeShop said:
Wow! $14 for home delivery shipping through fedex. $252 total, i wish i would have found these before I bought the bamboo batteries. All well, live and learn.

EBS

Excellent, that is about $25 cheaper than a 24V 10AH Ping battery. The Ping does come with a charger, though. I see they offer a 2A "smart" charger for $29. So for about the same price as the Ping, you get an additional 2AH, not bad!

Being based in the US is nice for those of use here since I would assume turn around for replacements would be speedy.

Thanks for the heads-up! That might be what goes into the Mongoose when my son inherits it, 24V with the 16T Southpaw, instead of 36V...

Back