Mongoose CX 450 Builds

Here is a quick video I made today scooting through the neighborhood, hit 28 MPH. I zip tied an old digital camera to the handlebars so it is tilted a little to the right, GhettoPro! I will try to get something better later.

[youtube]Vi0NflYuZUQ[/youtube]

EvoBikeShop said:
Wonder how far it will go at that speed?

That is a very good question, I read about someone burning one up after running flat out for 4 miles... "Fortunately" we have a lot of stop signs in the area, so most runs between signs are only a couple blocks. If I ride up to Target or downtown I have a stretch of open road about 1.5 miles. So far the longest I have gone between charges is 5 miles, and that is mostly full throttle for short bursts and was still a little over 34.5 volts, so figure maybe 5 more? That is with 0 pedaling.

When I get more distance data I will update the thread. I have a bike computer that has a speedo and odometer that I can put on to keep track of the distance between charges.

I got my $6.50 eBay voltmeter in today, so broke out the dremel and installed it. I put the positive lead on my switch, so it only comes on when the controller is turned on.

Voltmeter_small.jpg

It is pretty bright, but not bright enough to withstand full sunlight...
Voltmeter_shade_small.jpg

Assuming my cells are evenly balanced, my lipo buzzers are set to go off at 3.3V, or 29.7V at 9s. So I figure when my voltmeter hits 32, I had better be getting close to home!

From my experience with my high speed gearing (13t motor sprocket 16t freewheel) and doing some light trail riding, it seems like the motor is more prone to overheat with more stop and go rather then cruising along. Might you be interested in my cx? Btw you will greatly increase your range by pedaling a bit. Thats why I installed the 44t crank sprocket.

EBS

Yeah, I think the concern with long distance overvolted runs was arcing from the brushes and not the heat... But it was just something I read. I agree that stops/starts on these little motors seems pretty hard on them, especially since I am lazy and do not pedal, LOL. If I were concerned with range I would, but as it is the longest distance I need to ride for errands is 5 miles, most of my trips are closer to 2.

Thanks for the offer of your CX, but I think my next build is going to either be a hub motor build or a 4 stroke gasser, not quite sure yet. I am liking electrics right now, so probably the hub motor build...

Yea, I really like my cx but I love my carbon bamboo bike. Will be hopefully doing a conversion to 2wd soon with dual high speed 24v cute motors (328rpm) ran on 36v. Should end up being a 30mph+ screamer on 700c wheels.

If anyone else is interested in my cx, im selling it for $350 with the lifepo4's and 5a 28v fast charger.

EBS

Just did a top speed run with the 13t motor sprocket for the heck of it. 22mph. Im going to put together a 36v pack together just to see what it will do. Should be around 40-41v hot off the charger.

EBS

EvoBikeShop said:
Just did a top speed run with the 13t motor sprocket for the heck of it. 22mph. Im going to put together a 36v pack together just to see what it will do. Should be around 40-41v hot off the charger.

Awesome, good luck! At 40V, she is going to scream. With long enough runway you should clear 30 pretty easily.

LOL, doesn't it? I was holding my phone in my left hand yesterday to check out the real time speed (I usually just leave it in my pocket and check out the average and max speed afterward), so was trying to stop using only the rear brakes... yeah... those little stock rubber pads got hot and useless pretty quick ;)

I am definitely thinking of upgrading the front disc and caliper soon.

I cannot wait to hear your impression with the 13t front sprocket and 16T rear!

I plan on updrading both the shock and forks, if i dont sell the bike.

Wired it up to 52v, no responce, so it looks like it probably has a 50v max controller stock. Did some tweaking to the wiring, going for a second test. Got 39.4v this time.

EBS

EvoBikeShop said:
Ive entered the 30mph club! Motor is a bit hot. But still moving.

EBS

GRATS!!! How does the torque feel between the 13T and what was stock, 9T?

I was trying reeeeally hard to hit 30 yesterday, tucking down as flat as I could... only hit 29 once, usually topped out at 28. I am really contemplating adding a second motor to the bike using one of the Currie eZip mount plates...

yhst-92821211804676_2255_1355

Or just go with a hub motor when I smoke the stock one, not quite sure yet ;)

Ok so my test pack consist of 2 sla 12v 7.5 ah wired in paralell, and two 12v 10ah lifepo4 packs. The two paralell sla packs are ran in series with the lifepo4 packs. Now recharging the sla packs to 28v (paralell) and will recharge the lifepo4 packs when they are finished. So it will give me 42v hot off the charger, then will test run again. Btw the bike felt really composed at 30mph.

EBS

Honestly if your not less then 170lbs, i wouldnt suggest running the 13t cause the motor kinda strains with no pedaling. Hmm not sure what would be the best way to add a second motor. Why not just add a 250w geared hub (328rpm) in the front?

EBS

EvoBikeShop said:
Honestly if your not less then 170lbs, i wouldnt suggest running the 13t cause the motor kinda strains with no pedaling. Hmm not sure what would be the best way to add a second motor. Why not just add a 250w geared hub (328rpm) in the front?

EBS

Yeah, I am 200 lbs, hoping to get to 185 soon, but still... LOL. When planning for more speed and durability, I was just thinking of adding the second brushed motor (and controller) just for the cool factor ;) Ths visual impact and twin gear whines would be pretty cool. If I was adding a hub motor I would just add a big one and ditch the little brushed motor.

Back