Mongoose CX 450 Builds

Yep that's a Currie motor. Your neighbors were probably wondering if someone was strangling a cat. lol. I'm taking a break from Currie and going back to hub motors for awhile.

I like the gear whine, actually. I do plan on lubing my gears when I replace me freewheel, though. AFAIK this has never been done on my bike.

I noticed you replaced your stock knobbies with smoother street tires. How do you like them? How are the ride improvements? I was thinking of going with a CST Cyclops or Maxxis Hookworms. I am leaning towards the Hookworms since they seem to be very sturdy. I figured that a smoother tire and less rolling resistance would be easier on the little motor and get a little more top end.

maurtis said:
I like the gear whine, actually. I do plan on lubing my gears when I replace me freewheel, though. AFAIK this has never been done on my bike.

I noticed you replaced your stock knobbies with smoother street tires. How do you like them? How are the ride improvements? I was thinking of going with a CST Cyclops or Maxxis Hookworms. I am leaning towards the Hookworms since they seem to be very sturdy. I figured that a smoother tire and less rolling resistance would be easier on the little motor and get a little more top end.

Yea just lubed up my gears the other day. I actually went back to the knobbies because i think the smooth tires where partially the reason I ate it. Here on the westbank of New Orleans there isnt always side walks so my tires get muddy. I didnt get the traction I needed with the smooth tires. So i'm just going to stick with factories for now. When i eventually upgrade to 24" front and rear im going to use these tires.

Front
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=56386&category=182

Rear
http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Shop/Parts/Cruiser/Berm-Master-Tire.aspx

The hookworms look good for street, but not for offoading.

EBS

EvoBikeShop said:
So I'm about to embark on the longest trip I've taken so far. Its 13mi. I hope my extended range pack plays well and allows me to not undervolt lifepo4's. Wish me luck.

EBS

Good luck!

Bike road great today. Have final voltage data, was shocked with the results. Will post data when I have fully charged volt levels. Sorry didnt write them down at the begining of my ride. I averaged about 13mph with moderate pedaling. Will do the same trip tomorrow but only faster to see the difference in battery performance.

EBS

Pics from the ride.

EBS

Attachments

• 20130308_172858.jpg
    20130308_172858.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 20130308_173310.jpg
    20130308_173310.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 20130308_173448.jpg
    20130308_173448.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 20130308_173454.jpg
    20130308_173454.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 20130308_182316.jpg
    20130308_182316.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,614
Ok so I used both packs today, the 24v lifepo4 pack stated out at 28v and dropped to 26.3v. The secondary sla pack ran in parallel started at 26.6 and dropped down to 25.8. The sla pack is rated at 7ah. And the lifepo4 pack is 10ah. Can anybody tell me what this means with the data provided? Btw i rode for 13mi, with an average speed of 13mph.

Well I think i can safely say that the mongoose is going to get parked for awhile. Got my sample carbon bamboo electric today. All that i can say is that I love pedelec! This bike is so smooth and nice to ride (I'm not just saying that because I'm selling them), I think I'm definatly keeping one for myself.

EBS

EvoBikeShop said:
Well I think i can safely say that the mongoose is going to get parked for awhile. Got my sample carbon bamboo electric today. All that i can say is that I love pedelec! This bike is so smooth and nice to ride (I'm not just saying that because I'm selling them), I think I'm definatly keeping one for myself.

EBS

Cool, pedelec looks awesome. The last review I read of a good pedelec system said it felt pretty seamless. Enjoy!

Okay, made a lot of progress this weekend. The short version, mounted the batteries and went for a quick ride (not too long since I am still waiting on my volt gauge). The torque loss with the 16T southpaw was not as bad as I thought, it felt about the same as the 20T on SLAs... You could take off from a standstill without pedaling. I still like to help getting going, though...

GPS reported 27 MPH cruise, 29 MPH on a flat if I tuck down! I was shocked... We will see how the little motor holds up to the abuse.

I mounted my batteries to a piece of 1/4" pegboard that I cut to fit. I figured the holes in the pegboard would be nice for using velcro straps, it worked out great! The board is secured to the bike with 6 velcro straps, the kind that sticks to itself. The batteries are mounted with industrial strength velcro on the back and held down with velcro straps and foam rubber padding, so the straps would not damage the soft packs.

I also used a Durolast battery cutoff switch before the fuse, so if there are any sparks they will be taken by the switch, which is easily replaced. It also lets me turn it off and take the key with me.

Here is the board, after cutting, painting with Plastidip, and running the mounting straps:
Battery_board_velcro_small.jpg

And a picture after mounting the batteries, the 5s on one side, 4s on the other. I still need to attach the lipo buzzers in place...
Battery_board_straps_small.jpg

Left side of the bike after mounting:
Batteries_mounted_left_small.jpg

Right side of the bike:
Batteries_mounted_right_small.jpg

Closer picture, with the key inserted:
Batteries_mounted_right_close_key_small.jpg

So, still waiting on my eBay volt gauge, mount the lipo buzzers, and need to tidy up the wiring and make a pebble guard to cover the batteries. I picked up a black wire mesh trash can from Target for $1, I figure I can cut and shape that to fit over the batteries. Using the velcro straps to mount the battery board worked well since they hold it tight and make it easy to remove for charging. So far, I am pleased with the way it turned out!

I am also thinking about the cooling mods people have done, at least passive cooling with holes in the motor covers. I fear that the motor will not last long at 36V and the 16T rear sprocket. But then again, maybe it will? Most of my trips are, at longest, 3 miles each way. With lots of stops, so not a lot of long distance high speed cruising.

Wow! 29mph! Good job maurtis. My bike isnt doing too good. Either the throttle went or the controller. So im just going to leave it until i can do the 36v conversion. Ive been bitten by the speed bug.

EBS

Just took the pack apart and one of my connections was loose, doh! So got mine running again lol. Can you make a vid maurtis?

You might want to look into installing the largest chainring you can find so you can pedal along with it.

EBS

Glad your issue was just a loose connection! I will try to make a good video once I figure out a good way to mount my phone. I would like to be able to use my phone as a speedo without having to hold it too, so hopefully I will be able to cobble something good together. Or just buy a mount...

EvoBikeShop said:
What kind of phone do you have?

Samsung Galaxy S3. I have a mount that fits in a cup holder, so might just pick up a cheap billet cup holder from Target.

You could get a mount like this and just make a bracket like how i did mine.

http://www.meritline.com/suction-car-mount-holder-for-samsung-galaxy-siii-i9300---p-89363.aspx?source=fghdac&gclid=CK-37KfxhLYCFSGqPAodZywAKw

EBS

Made my battery cover last night. I am not exactly happy with the results, though, so it will be temporary. The goal was to have something that helped keep the wires from being accidentally pulled on while riding and protect the batteries from any flying debris. My new cover does that, it just needs to fit a little better, maybe? I think it is the front bottom edge that bothers me the most, I will work on it more later today...

We started with a $1 trash can:
Battery_cover_before_small.jpg

And after some shaping and adding some rubber door edge molding:
Battery_cover_trimmed_small.jpg

It is held in place by 3 hard drive magnets, so easy to remove in order to plug in the lipo buzzers, or remove the battery pack when it is time to charge.

EvoBikeShop said:
Doesnt look bad maurtis.

Thanks, it is starting to grow on me 8)

Once my volt gauge gets here and I get it wired up, I am going to switch gears and work on my son's Razor Dune Buggy for a while. He wants more speed (of course!), so thinking of going with 36V and a controller and motor upgrade. Tncscooters has a 36V controller with reverse, and swap out the 2650 rpm 350W motor for a 3000 rpm 500W motor, overvolted should get him 4500 rpm. I am hoping that will get him enough speed to be happy with it but still not too fast to flip it easily.

Back