• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Motorized Bicycle racing in Tucson Arizona

I'd just love to take on A.J. chopper on chopper around that track.. make him eat some frock motor tire dust. :eek:

But damn that sounds like fun times..... i wonder how many people would show up if i organized something like that around here.. ? hell i'll even supply the bikes for half a dozen people ! lmao..

I finally dropped into the thread - this looks like fun, fun fun! - eating ICE guys would be even better...

30 minutes of run time and 50mph on the straights avg - fastest cart speeds on the straights = 60mph...

Knowing you will be decellerating for the turns helps, you can use eBrake for some regen (and stopping power) to reduce speed as opposed to the disc brake method, since you know you will be breaking a minimum of 4 times per lap for cornering.

Then just factor accelleration load over accelleration time and average sustain currents... once you have it calculated (ignore the regen for now), you know the pack size you will need to compete...

I would think thuds 2 spd transmission combined with an SA3 would be the optimal match... this way you can use the SA3 to compensate for pack voltage as it drops durring discharge (it's strange but it seems to work out perfect for compensating this mechanically) instead of choosing an LVC which corresponds to the minimum speed you want to acheive @ 1:1...

In the end, calculate for max of 60mph minimum down to LVC in high gears across... Then snap out 0-60 in 3-4 seconds with a single (or two shifts) then cruise at the pre-determined highest efficiency speed which should be 60mph... 2:1 takes you to 30 mph for cornering and first accelleration - the SA is just for compensating the discharge curve of the pack.

-Mike

PS: Better to just beat them a little this time out, save the smearing for a year or two down the road...

Ypedal said:
I'd just love to take on A.J. chopper on chopper around that track.. make him eat some frock motor tire dust. :eek:

Itz nice to dream YPedal MaN but try to keep it within the realms of possibility so when reality hitz your not to
shocked, poor poor disillusioned YPedal MaNz :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KiM

If you run out there, you gotta block for me. :) Move out of the path of the line when I go to pass, and then get crazybike2 in it's widest form, and run a wiggly erratic path right along the hot line of the course to block the other guys. :) It doesn't sound like they've got any rules on blocking passes, and crazybike with crazy wolfman riding it would be perfect for the job. :)

amberwolf said:
dogman said:
Now yer talking. Ship to my house and I'll bring it to the race. Or to Amberworlf if he is going.
I'd go just to watch, if nothing else, if I could get down there. ;)

If I could fix the chain alignment problems with CrazyBike2, and had something other than SLA to run it with, I'd probably enter it. Even if I broke it again, it'd be fun--I've never raced anything at all. Well, fun assuming that when I wipe out each time I don't take anybody else with me. :lol:

I'd need to regear it, since it's geared for about 22MPH max at the moment, I think.

Also, what would be useful would be to put a hub motor in the front wheel, too, for extra power or for pulling my way out of turns if I lose traction with the rear. Only use it when it's needed, assuming I could learn fast enough. :)

The Curtis controller on the powerchair motor can do plenty of amps, but I'm not sure what the motor will take or for how long. I think I'd need to ventilate and cool it with filtered air (have to filter since it's right in the front wheel's crap path).

Might need a seatbelt to hold me in that sling chair. :lol:

Just wish to point out if folks get in the hood early that April is Bike Fest for Tucson EVery year... Lots of bike stuff happening all month. For example on the morning of the race, GABA, the Greater Arizona Bicycle Association are holding their annual Bike Swap from 6am to 1pm:
spring_swap_meet_2010_small.jpg

GABA site here with other events listed:
http://www.bikegaba.org/

Have fun!
Lock

Ha!--there's an idea: a build-off / race. Bring whatever power source, motor/etc., you're gonna use with you, but gotta buy your bike at that swap meet and then build it up by race time. :)

liveforphysics said:
If you run out there, you gotta block for me. :) Move out of the path of the line when I go to pass, and then get crazybike2 in it's widest form, and run a wiggly erratic path right along the hot line of the course to block the other guys. :) It doesn't sound like they've got any rules on blocking passes, and crazybike with crazy wolfman riding it would be perfect for the job. :)
Assuming I don't just roll it over and crush people with it. :lol:

AussieJester said:
Crazybike 2 on a race track i would love to see that would be the funniest sight, perhaps double up on the cargo pods Amberwolf so your even wider and harder to get by hehe...
Actually, I'd have to take them off--otherwise I can't corner faster than maybe 15-16MPH without dragging the things in the asphalt! Plus at higher speeds they make for notable drag, I'm sure.

Well, my boss didn't come in today, and always ignores his emails on weekends.

I'm so damn pumped for the race though, I don't give a damn.

I'm going!!!! To hell with work if there is a conflict.

Racing > Money

Racing > Women

Racing > Job

Racing > Life

Does anyone have experience with shaved trials tires like Thud mentioned?

I think tire choice is going to be at least 50% of winning this event.

I run trials tires on my dirtbikes and love how they climb up wet logs and muddy rocks and crap like a bulldozer.

My concern for this event would be the heating. Being a trials tire, I'm sure the compound is made to be extremely sticky when cold, so I don't know how it will respond to getting 10mins of me scrubbing the hell out of the edges of the tire for 10mins. I'm sure they will get reach 150f or more, and I'm not sure what a compound made to perform cold will be acting like at 150F.

I think the 16" shaved scooter tire option might be the best, IF we can find a race compound scooter tire rather than something designed to last for 1,000's of miles...

That's the spirit!

btw to possibly slower contenders, they have two "qualifying heats" before the race, so I think that means the slow ones won't be able to compete in the actual race. I might be wrong about that, though, as I've never raced.

Just got off the phone after 2hrs of scheming with Thud on the phone.

We are going to kick ass.
The rough plan is something like this:

Motorcycle 16" tires on standard 20" BMX rims (or maybe shaved trials tires if we can't find a motorcycle race slick narrow enough)

CR125 front disk brake setup.

Sensored big HXT feeding the 2-spd tranny.

100amp 100v controller for the 2-spd tranny.

Lots of LiPo.

That seems like it should pretty much be a recipe for a winner. :)

too funny :mrgreen: you guys are gonna smoke those gas bikes like they're standin still.

This is on a kart track, right? Well, we have some experience to relate. A kart track is actually ideal for bicycle racing, but its very different from road or off road racing. The corners are everything.

There was such a race at the Tour de Presteigne last year and E-S members came first and second. I don't know of any other electric bike races over here, so does that make me and Matthew (monster) the British National Champion and the Runner-Up?
http://www.re-voltage.eu/presteigne2009.html
http://tourdepresteigne.webs.com/results.htm
Unfortunately they are not running the races this year.
http://www.tourdepresteigne.co.uk/

Here's what I found. I'm sure some of you know this already.
You spend 99% of the time braking for a corner or accelerating out of one. So handling is crucial; the higher you can get the cornering speed the better. I know this sounds obvious but...Weight distribution on the bike and the angle you can lean to are important.
Braking; ordinary caliper rim brakes are ok if they are set up properly. The limit will be set by tyre traction.
Tyres; I used Marathon Supremes, 2" wide. Unless its wet, you don't need tread patterns.
Acceleration is crucial, you may need to assess the course and decide to gear for acceleration rather than top speed. With a motor you can put the acceleration on while the bike is still leant over too far to pedal.
Because of the time spent accelerating, there is a danger of running the motor in its inefficient region. Watch the motor temp.
Regenerative braking. Waste of time.
Suspension. Not needed. Invention of the devil.

Good luck, guys; let us know how it goes. I'd love to see more of this sort of thing going on, and edging in on the ICE bicycle races may well be the way to get it to critical mass.

Nick

Holy chit Nick!

You didn't just win, you destroyed every event! On the hillclimb, 2nd place was 40seconds behind you!

I think you can safely say you'e the UK national champ at E-bike racing.

I was told by spooky there was no elimination heats. 1 and 2, for practice and bragging rights, Heat 3 for the trophy. So save the best battery for the last heat. It's really just a "fun race" so they are going to be blown away when a real racer shows up with megawatts.

Good tires may make the difference more than anything if all bikes can hit 40 mph or so. It's a pretty tight looking track, at least on the hairpins. Not laying it down wins it.

Like the UK race, this looks like the de facto US motorized bike championships.

Nick,
were you eves dropping on Luke & I last night? :p I am not going to say too much about specifics, but we are definatly going to have the tires & brakeing advantage. My thoughts on the speed setup.....we are going to have a MONSTER advantage in acceleration so prolly gear top end in the 50 to 55 mph range. The 2 speed will 1/2 that to give us wheel lifting tourque in the tightest corners. Luke has a much higher power pakage than I have (untill it gets to me) so a real world look at amp draw & A 15 minute test romp in my neighbor hood will be valuble info.

I have a prior commitment today but early tomorrow a new projects starts:

I.C.E CRUSHER 1.0 IS Born!

photos prior to the unveiling will be by PM only to E.S Members......this is a "for fun" event remember :lol: :lol: 8) :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :!:

i can't wait to read in their forum about us cheaters & A) how our victory is shallow & undeserved, B)it serves us right melting down on the track for trying to run a ringer build on them....either way i am pumped.

The ol' guy would be interested also.

God's speed in your endeavor! Too bad there are 6 extra states between us, or I'd be there to take pix...

bigmoose said:
The ol' guy would be interested also.

God's speed in your endeavor! Too bad there are 6 extra states between us, or I'd be there to take pix...

$208 gets you from Columbus to Phoenix at 575mph. :)

How awesome would it be to have you for my crew-chief?

To get a little traditional pre-race smack-talk started, I posted on the spooky-tooth race blog a comment along these lines:

"I'm coming from Seattle for this race to dominate you all on a bike I've never even ridden, powered by an electric motor the size of a teacup."

If the comment moderator approves it, hopefully it will start them smack-talking about how electric motors are crap, and how it would take a giant electric motor and hundreds of pounds of batteries yadda yadda... lol :p :p :p :D

Ypedal said:
AussieJester said:
Thud said:
photos prior to the unveiling will be by PM only to E.S Members......

Put me on the mailing list please buddy :)

KiM

+1

The same. I'll need pre-race photos/video for the documentary. I already have an opening soundtrack in mind.

Are there ES shirts available somewhere? A red sphere on a light blue shirt of some sort? If this is F1/WRC/MotoGP of motorized bikes in the USA we'll need to let the world know ES is the place to come to get on the electric wagon

Epic topic in the making here. 8) I'm so glad somebody fast is coming. Airfare is cheap, be there!

Back