My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

I've replaced my throttle after similar observations of jerky behaviour. They're not that expensive, but i can't see any other reason why it would behave like this. The wires that go to the throttle are pretty thin and can easily get an internal break that sometimes makes contact.

Seems as if my throttle wiring short is in the bundled harness wiring. When I press where the arrows are I can get throttle to work temporarily. I fear this is going to be a major headache to fix. I am guessing FREY will send me a new harness and I'll be on the hook for labor to install. Has anyone gotten FREY to cover labor on warranty related issues? I cannot seem to find specifics anywhere on warranty.

1594880469625-png.59061

Hello everyone! I'm a new member on this forum and just ordered my first AM1000. Loads of information on this thread! Fully read through every page and I now have a solid idea of what to expect.

But one of the most important questions that I haven't been able to answer...
What color frame should I get?! Opinions? :lol:

landlord said:
Hello everyone! I'm a new member on this forum and just ordered my first AM1000. Loads of information on this thread! Fully read through every page and I now have a solid idea of what to expect.

But one of the most important questions that I haven't been able to answer...
What color frame should I get?! Opinions? :lol:

Grey...love the grey. I ordered mine in May - figuring out what color my wife would want was harder than anticipated.

What "extras" are you going to order?

Jeff

jeffdkeyes said:
Grey...love the grey. I ordered mine in May - figuring out what color my wife would want was harder than anticipated.

What "extras" are you going to order?

Jeff

Yeah I saw a photo of the grey somewhere, looked pretty nice!
So far nothing too extreme with the extras or upgrades.

XL frame, upgraded to 29" wheels w/ Maxxis tires
Sram EX1 Groupset - seems expensive but the extra strength would be nice.
Gear sensor/lights

I'm sure I'll be upgrading much more once I receive it.

Thanks, that's an interesting point. I have a Canondale 29'er MTB, a Giant Full-e (27.5), and a Frey M600 (27.5). The latter suffers from horrendous pedal strike problems. I didn't consider that perhaps clearance would improve by a move to 29" rims, as I assumed the frame geometry on the M600 would not allow for it. Ironically I just bought a second set of 27.5 rims for the Frey for studded winter tires.

tsellers said:
Thanks, that's an interesting point. I have a Canondale 29'er MTB, a Giant Full-e (27.5), and a Frey M600 (27.5). The latter suffers from horrendous pedal strike problems. I didn't consider that perhaps clearance would improve by a move to 29" rims, as I assumed the frame geometry on the M600 would not allow for it. Ironically I just bought a second set of 27.5 rims for the Frey for studded winter tires.

I've been reading about the pedal strike issues on the AM1000 (sounds similar for the M600 then). Seems like a recommended upgrade is switching to shorter cranks (150mm) which I will most likely change once received. I wasn't sure if it could be an option for them to switch to 29" wheel for this frame however when I asked, they had an option available.

Tonight I was pondering the frame on my M600 and it 'seemed' like there may be room for a 29. I would also like to change my crank arms, but I get the impression from the folks here that are tackling it, it seems to be quite an undertaking.

It looks like I could buy a Bafang 500W hub motor kit laced into a 29" rim for about $300.00 with no battery, so it's something I'm considering to convert my Canondale 29'er

landlord said:
tsellers said:

I've been reading about the pedal strike issues on the AM1000 (sounds similar for the M600 then). Seems like a recommended upgrade is switching to shorter cranks (150mm) which I will most likely change once received. I wasn't sure if it could be an option for them to switch to 29" wheel for this frame however when I asked, they had an option available.
I just had a horrible pedal strike with 152mm miranda crancks :mrgreen:, pedal and crack bend.

jeron said:
landlord said:
tsellers said:

I just had a horrible pedal strike with 152mm miranda crancks :mrgreen:, pedal and crack bend.

10 days until they ship. Just upgraded to the 29" rims. Frey has been really acomodating to all of my changes even that one very last minute in the process.

I wish my order was shipping that soon! I just started the whole process. I'm probably 3 months out until I even see it. How long was their production process for your order?

landlord said:
I wish my order was shipping that soon! I just started the whole process. I'm probably 3 months out until I even see it. How long was their production process for your order?

My target build time was 65 days after initial payment and planning on roughly 4 weeks of shipping. While that is a long time, it did give me time to make a bunch of changes. I'm completely new to ebikes and mountain bikes.... Thus as I've learned more, I've asked for changes. Both Cecilia and Ivy have helped make many updates with great communication.

Bottom line for me is that so far so good in the process. I'm really happy about it even though it's a long road. For the wait, I get exactly what i want for a fraction of the price.

tsellers said:
We sent the initial deposit to Frey for 4 builds on March 19. They are due to arrive in Vancouver via sea on July 28. Approx 19 weeks.

oh wow! I live in the Seattle area - thinking my "4 weeks shipping" notion may be flawed.

Of the 19 weeks, according to our Bill of Lading, 2 weeks represent shipping time, and 17 was the build time. Shipping times are not only dependent on how long it takes the ship to cross the Pacific, they are also subject to waiting on how long it takes the freight forwarder to fill a container and then surrender it to the ship. They are not going to load a half full container as they would then lose money. Your estimate of 4 weeks for shipping is about right. I've had cars arrive from Japan in as little as 11 days.

Hello all, longtime lurker. Been watching this thread ever since I ordered my am1000 around May 25. Just received a message the other day that my bike frame has been assembled and adjusted. I do not know where that really puts in the process, but I hope I'm being put into the shipment with you guys. I ordered the bike in black so the battery doesn't stick out so much from the frame. (Maybe get into some trails that might not look kindly on electric.)
Also got the gear sensors. Figure all other modifications I'll do myself. Didn't want hardwired lights drawing from the battery.

tsellers said:
...I've had cars arrive from Japan in as little as 11 days.

Cars from Japan? Have you imported a Nissan GT-R or something? Haha.

Durtdemon said:
...I ordered the bike in black so the battery doesn't stick out so much from the frame. (Maybe get into some trails that might not look kindly on electric.)

I didn't really think about the ebike restriction until after I ordered mine. I'm curious if I will get any negative reactions. So far I'm also locked in with a black frame but knowing me, I'll probably change the color a few more times before shipment.

Didn't want hardwired lights drawing from the battery.

On the Frey M600 with the stock Shimano LED headlight/tail light combo, and the controller display backlight on, the current draw from a 52V battery is .11 amps when all 3 Led's and tail light are turned on. For that particular battery (which is 10Ah), that draws 1.1% of my total capacity. With the headlight switched off, the tail light draws .01 amps, or .01% of the capacity of that particular battery.

tsellers said:
Didn't want hardwired lights drawing from the battery.

On the Frey M600 with the stock Shimano LED headlight/tail light combo, and the controller display backlight on, the current draw from a 52V battery is .11 amps when all 3 Led's and tail light are turned on. For that particular battery (which is 10Ah), that draws 1.1% of my total capacity. With the headlight switched off, the tail light draws .01 amps, or .01% of the capacity of that particular battery.

Would rather use detachable battery powered. Don't always need them and also use head lamp with head light on trails at night. No need to waste bike power.

Back