My kick scooter project

Iam geared at 11-54 giving around 4.9 final so I could gear down slightly but iam overvokting a 36v to 50v so dont want to strain it iam enjoying the go anywhere grunt I'll pop a video up soon to show brushed ain't dead just yet they still good for a tight budget, I only spent £250 for the price its heck of an acheivment.

Ianhill said:
Iam geared at 11-54 giving around 4.9 final so I could gear down slightly but iam overvokting a 36v to 50v so dont want to strain it iam enjoying the go anywhere grunt I'll pop a video up soon to show brushed ain't dead just yet they still good for a tight budget, I only spent £250 for the price its heck of an acheivment.

Brushed isn't dead, but for a decent EV, they are not so wonderful. I think a top notch brushed motor is only good for 65% efficiency, while a BLDC can be 80-95% efficient and you get more torque for the same amount of energy consumed. I want as much of my wattage budget turning my wheels as possible. Look into getting an 80-100 outrunner at lunacycles. They are pretty strong motors. For about the same mass and size of your current motor you will get a LOT more torque for $150. I totally understand being on a budget! Over volting a brushed motor is just going to kill the brushes and stators faster. I bet if you looked at the motor under load the sparks coming off the brushes are significant. Basically use it until the motor is destroyed and then go brushless. I would plan ahead and start researching your next power plant solution now. Keep in mind that just about all motor controllers for BLDC that are designed for EVs need hall sensors. You get better performance out of a BLDC with halls in an EV than you do without them. You can use an R/C motor controller, but they are almost always over rated for the current they can supposedly handle. If I was going to use an R/C controller for an EV, and I found one that handled the cell count I wanted, I would then go for one that is triple the current handling of what I need. I'm running at 72 volts and 40 amps typically. That would mean the R/C controller would have to be rated for at least 120 amps at 72 volts before I would even think about using one. Look at the size of the heat sinks on an R/C controller vs one for an EV controller of the same amperage. Just the lack of heat sink material alone should tell you the R/C controller is way over rated. I like Kelly controllers, they are relatively simple to set up and use. There are a couple of things that they lack in the small EV realm...field weakening and phase current control are the two big ones. You can only set the controller current which is fine for protecting the batteries, but without phase current limiting you cant protect the motor or controller. Field weakening gets you an RPM bump with a very small loss of efficiency. Just about all better controllers have both of these.

just a couple of comparisons between BLCD and brushed motors...
1. BLDC motors for R/C or EV uses always use neo magnets. They are usually N50 strength. Brushed motors commonly use ceramic magnets that are N25 or weaker. This equates to significantly less torque for the same amount of current draw in a brushed motor. Rotation in a motor is all about interacting magnetic fields. Weak magnetic fields equals low torque. To make up for it, brushed motors tend to spin much faster than a BLDC.
2. BLDC losses are heat, winding resistance and magnetic flux losses. Brushed motor losses are 80% in the brushes and stator, heat, winding resistance and flux losses. Brushless motors completely eliminate the big loser in a brushed motor.
3. BLDC's come in two main "flavors"...inrunners and outrunners. An inrunner has the armature which holds the neo magnets inside the field windings. An outrunner has the armature outside the field windings. in either case the windings are fixed and the magnets rotate. A brushed motor has the windings and iron core on the armature and the magnets are fixed. This means the mass of the motor which is in the iron core and windings has to spin up to create torque. In a BLDC, there is significantly less mass in magnets and armature since there isn't all that iron and copper moving. This effectively makes a BLDC more responsive to spinning up and it has so much less mass of its own to move around.
4. A BLDC motor has no electro-mechanical failure points in it. This alone makes a BLDC much less likely to fail than a brushed motor. In a car alternator, which is effectively a brushed motor used as a generator, the primary failure point (70%) is the brushes. The other 30% of failures are regulators, diodes, windings and bearings. I don't know why car manufacturers don't use BLDC motors as generators. They are so much more reliable and less complex.
5. A BLDC motor is fairly immune to pollution (water and dirt). I don't recommend it, but you could run a BLDC in muddy water. A brushed motor will quickly destroy its stator and brushes since they slide past each other with no lubrication or way to keep the contact surfaces clean and smooth. As the brushes and stator wear unevenly, the contact resistance between them rises and more heat is generated which scorches the contact area more which causes more resistance. All the wires in a BLDC are insulated and enclosed so water is unlikely to cause a short. In a brushed motor the stator and brushes are exposed and shorts are more probable as a result.
6. I have a blower on my inrunner to keep it cool. I don't worry about a little dust or moisture getting into the motor and the bearings are sealed so I'm pretty much OK in whatever conditions I find myself. I would do everything in my power to protect a brushed motor from outside pollution including some kind of enclosed blower.

Love the in depth knowledge on display sharing is key for us all, I had three brushed motors and loads of spare bits so it made sence to throw around a 1/3rd of my capacity away as heat did think of it like that though but more efficent than a gas engine and i still get 15miles without going below the magic 80% discharge on lipos, I use 15khz pwm to drive my motor I think it may of helped slow brush wear at low power levels but at my level of power I think it wont help a bit most of the heat is at start up and stress loads and like you say when you stare in the back of an old drill you see the sparks flying of the commentator were most the heat is created and losses occur i have a few qualifications with electrical principals so i have a bit of knowledge of how an ac 3 phase induction motor works in princable the same as the bldc and all the differnent types of pmdc motors i know a bit about emf and on a brushed motor its key to keeping it alive but i couldnt and can not and it would be silly to argue any different to your point your build is superior in all aspect compared to brushed.
I know most of the basics on how different losses occur such as hysteresis windage eddy currents heat but im by far no expert. Id like my next project to be a 100 size can bldc on a 24s pack dual front wheeled scooter with multilink suspension drive shafts from the motor mounted in a small box chassis in the centre which extends back into the footplate with double wishbone suspension and a single rear wheel all on gas adjustable MTB rear shocks and this will be my off road beast I feel rwd on the scooter to be mental with low end torque a fwd would eliminate flips and make high speed riding more predictable.

Ianhill said:
Love the in depth knowledge on display sharing is key for us all, I had three brushed motors and loads of spare bits so it made sence to throw around a 1/3rd of my capacity away as heat did think of it like that though but more efficent than a gas engine and i still get 15miles without going below the magic 80% discharge on lipos, I use 15khz pwm to drive my motor I think it may of helped slow brush wear at low power levels but at my level of power I think it wont help a bit most of the heat is at start up and stress loads and like you say when you stare in the back of an old drill you see the sparks flying of the commentator were most the heat is created and losses occur i have a few qualifications with electrical principals so i have a bit of knowledge of how an ac 3 phase induction motor works in princable the same as the bldc and all the differnent types of pmdc motors i know a bit about emf and on a brushed motor its key to keeping it alive but i couldnt and can not and it would be silly to argue any different to your point your build is superior in all aspect compared to brushed.
I know most of the basics on how different losses occur such as hysteresis windage eddy currents heat but im by far no expert. Id like my next project to be a 100 size can bldc on a 24s pack dual front wheeled scooter with multilink suspension drive shafts from the motor mounted in a small box chassis in the centre which extends back into the footplate with double wishbone suspension and a single rear wheel all on gas adjustable MTB rear shocks and this will be my off road beast I feel rwd on the scooter to be mental with low end torque a fwd would eliminate flips and make high speed riding more predictable.

Sounds interesting! I have one comment keep it simple. You would probably do better to have 4 motors...one per wheel than to have gearing like a transfer case and differentials to connect one motor to multiple wheels. Think of all that "stuff" as efficiency losses in friction, weight and added mechanical complexity. I personally would do 4 80-100s...one per wheel and gear them all identically. The torque you would have would tow a truck! You could go with smaller outrunners and still have a power house. an 80-100 can do 3000 watts and they are the diameter of a drinking glass. 4 of those bad boys would be very powerful even using them well less than their capacity.

100 size can bldc? Are you talking about an outrunner or inrunner?

For cheap batteries look here. I'm running off of some LIPOs and a load of used laptop batteries. I have about $250 all said and done into battery holders and batteries and have a little less than 52000 Ah. :):):):):)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=76013&p=1163025#p1163025

That's some crazy Ah you have there what a lucky man. i have around 120 1.7ah +18650 doing nothing from old projects at the moment but a razor e300 battery box is so small it was a challenge getting 12s lipo in there with all my controls and getting the lid to shut. i was thinking a three wheeler one at rear two at front like the cycleboard fairly stable and then fwd too so u can launch like a mad man i dont want hub motors i was thinking outrunners as there a decent supplier here in UK, maybe a motor for each wheel could make things more simple but would the outer wheel spin at a different speed when i turn or would it shudder and wouldn't i need pairing the ESC of each motor to go in a straight line ?, at the front i want some decent adjustable longtravel suspension repurposing parts will be key but its still really early days in design at moment just sketching different designs and feeling the good and bad of each only yesterday I started designing so lots to think of cheers for your input.

Ianhill said:
That's some crazy Ah you have there what a lucky man. i have around 120 1.7ah +18650 doing nothing from old projects at the moment but a razor e300 battery box is so small it was a challenge getting 12s lipo in there with all my controls and getting the lid to shut. i was thinking a three wheeler one at rear two at front like the cycleboard fairly stable and then fwd too so u can launch like a mad man i dont want hub motors i was thinking outrunners as there a decent supplier here in UK, maybe a motor for each wheel could make things more simple but would the outer wheel spin at a different speed when i turn or would it shudder and wouldn't i need pairing the ESC of each motor to go in a straight line ?, at the front i want some decent adjustable longtravel suspension repurposing parts will be key but its still really early days in design at moment just sketching different designs and feeling the good and bad of each only yesterday I started designing so lots to think of cheers for your input.

I'm not a fan of hub motors. The KV is too low in my opinion and you can't gear them easily for speed or power. To me motor and wheel sprockets to attain the best gearing ratio is the best way to go. Outrunners and inrunners are a good solution for just about everything EV. IMHO, the only advantage a hub motor has is that it is in the wheel so mounting it somewhere isn't a problem.

Getting your motors in sync is pretty easy. Put the EV up on blocks so the wheels can spin freely with no load or drag on them. You will have only one throttle, but the signal goes to all of your motor controllers. IE: Every controller gets the exact same throttle signal. Get controllers that have adjustments for throttle position. Power everything up and set the throttle to barely run one motor. Probably one of the motors will start first. Adjust the throttle position on the other motor controller so it engages a little sooner and try it again, until all the motors start up at the same time. A lot of controllers have throttle ramping and power curve settings. Set all of that stuff exactly the same everywhere. Now that you have a starting throttle position, use a tachometer on one of the motors at 50% throttle and compare it with the other motors. Do it again at 100% throttle. If you are using the same controllers, settings, motors and gearing everywhere and there is nothing loading a wheel, the RPMs between the motors should be pretty close to the same at all throttle positions. If they aren't close, check that the controllers are set up the same. You might have to adjust the throttle ramping or power curve a little to get them in sync at all RPMs. After that, they should stay in sync. I would probably check it again if I noticed one of my motors was hotter than the other or a controller was hotter than the other. That possibly indicates that one motor is pulling harder than the other. If you are running a closed track all the time, well I would deliberately set the controller on the outside wheel to pull harder, but for every thing else setting them the same is the best. When you turn a corner, momentarily the inside wheel will be turning slower than the outside wheel, but that will be for a few seconds so it doesn't matter.

Batteries and your e-razor...You could do like I did and build a box somewhere to hold more battery capacity. Also, scrounge tons of laptop batteries. You don't care if they are new or used or nearly dead. What you will find is that a lot of used laptop batteries will have several weak cells and several reasonably good cells. The C rating on laptop cells is usually low (1C typically) so you will need to run quite a few in parallel to get the current delivery you need. I'm running 20S14P off of laptop cells. I did buy a couple of new laptop batteries just to fill out the last pack, but 90% of my 18650s came from used laptop batteries and literally cost no money. I have 280 cells currently in the scooter and a small cardboard box with 20 or 30 more in it. I have a 2 port R/C charger so I can charge one pack and discharge another at the same time. I built two 6 cell battery holders for 18650s complete with balance cables. If you look at my battery thread you can see the holders I used. I then used both channels on the charger to charge 12 cells at a time and discharge 12 cells at a time. I ran my charger for a week straight going through laptop cells. The charger will tell you the mah for the entire pack, but also weak cells will charge/discharge faster than stronger cells. My charger shows the voltages for each cell so it's easy to see which ones are running down the fastest on a discharge cycle...those are the weak cells. Using this method I am able to cull the good cells from the rest. Keep in mind "good" is relative". A brand new samsung cell designed for 5C discharge and 3100mah is going to out perform anything in a new laptop battery which are typically 2600mah and 1C. Since I'm running almost 100% from used laptop cells, I'm looking for better than 1500mah per cell as my cut line. I label every cell with what it's Ah was when I tested it so that as I find cells in better condition, I can replace the weaker ones. The cells less than 1500mah get used for flashlights and whatnot.

The decks on those things are pretty small, Consider building a larger battery box and hack together the front end and rear end onto the new box. Welding is an easy skill to learn. You can watch a few videos on youtube to learn the basics and then start building your own skills after that. A basic arc welder wont make the best welds there is, but you can grind off the ugly parts and do it again and a decent arc welder can be picked up for $100 used. It's harder to use and more technical, but TIG welding is the best and your welds look superb and are the strongest when done. The downside is even a used TIG welder is still going to cost you some significant coin. If you take drawings to a local machine shop, they can cut and weld up whatever you want for a few hundred dollars and you don't have to learn anything about metal working.

Some good reading there on syncing a pair of ESCs I had my exhaust arc welded plenty of splatter but strong enough but I have a machine shop close by thats very helpful and would appreciate the final product and help along the way, I really wanted just one power unit with huge power 10kw matched single ESC designed for EV an the required amount of a123 prismatic cells so it will rocket along and be more reliable i like the diff idea because harder it maybe to design the end result would pull striaight as an arrow the frictional losses will be a bit higher but all the unsprung weight can be centred for good balance i can still use sprockets with a diff the hyabusa smart car has a similar set up just lose the gears and shrink it with in board disk brakes and maybe push rod suspension on mtb gas rear shocks with a reverse trike design like mentioned it would be very versitile. I used to work making industrial power distribution units we would fabricate large metal enclosures from scratch in a metal shop then fit the control gear switch units and interlocks then fit out all the copper busbars in the back it was all done in house but our steel industry has taken knock after knock and employment is tough around south wales at the moment so I want to use my skills more for greater of good than go crazy, and if I get it spot on i could produce a couple a low volume units if I get enough response with a prototype.

Ianhill said:
Some good reading there on syncing a pair of ESCs I had my exhaust arc welded plenty of splatter but strong enough but I have a machine shop close by thats very helpful and would appreciate the final product and help along the way, I really wanted just one power unit with huge power 10kw matched single ESC designed for EV an the required amount of a123 prismatic cells so it will rocket along and be more reliable i like the diff idea because harder it maybe to design the end result would pull striaight as an arrow the frictional losses will be a bit higher but all the unsprung weight can be centred for good balance i can still use sprockets with a diff the hyabusa smart car has a similar set up just lose the gears and shrink it with in board disk brakes and maybe push rod suspension on mtb gas rear shocks with a reverse trike design like mentioned it would be very versitile. I used to work making industrial power distribution units we would fabricate large metal enclosures from scratch in a metal shop then fit the control gear switch units and interlocks then fit out all the copper busbars in the back it was all done in house but our steel industry has taken knock after knock and employment is tough around south wales at the moment so I want to use my skills more for greater of good than go crazy, and if I get it spot on i could produce a couple a low volume units if I get enough response with a prototype.

I don't care for LIFE cells. They are safer than LION and LIPO, but LION are uber plentiful and cheap and virtually impossible to catch on fire. I willing to lose a little "safety" for less cost and more capacity. And honestly, I've never had a battery fire, despite abusing batteries quite badly at times.

The only time I would do a central drive train in an EV would be if I was building a car. Even Tesla abandoned a transmission they were going to implement in the S. Friction and weight are your enemies in EVs, eliminate them ruthlessly! You may think you are losing only a little with centralized gearing and drive train, but it's actually much more than you realize and the benefits gained are not worth it for a small project like 10Kw. Also, a central drive train is just adding complexity in all the wrong places. If you want to center your masses, put your motors and batteries in the center of the EV and run shafts out to the wheels, but I wouldn't bother with even that. If you don't believe me about the frictional losses, then do a simple experiment with your car. Jack one of your drive wheels off the ground, put the transmission in neutral and the brakes off. Turn the tire with your hands. Notice how much resistance to rolling the tire has. A large portion of that resistance is the fact that there are still gears and bearings and jack shafts, and oil viscosity and...to overcome to make the wheel turn at it's lowest possible rolling resistance. You will have the same issues with a centralized drive train in an EV.

BTW...a differential doesn't pull straight. A differential actually pulls exactly opposite of dead straight. Differentials are designed to apply power to the wheel that is spinning the fastest. In the case of a car going around a curve, that would be the outside wheel. Going in a straight line, that's kind of a balancing back and forth action between the driven wheels since they are rolling at nearly the same speed. Honestly, a diffy is weight, friction and added complexity where you don't need it. If I were to convert a small car like a Fiat to EV, I would use at least 2 motors (one for each front wheel) and two motor controllers. I probably would start there and later go with motors an all 4 wheels. Either way I would eliminate all the transmission and differential nonsense that you absolutely must have with a gas engine. It would also leave lots of free room for more batteries! Think of a tiny little fiat with 4-5 Kw on each of the 4 wheels. 0-60 in 3 seconds might be doable. AND it would pull dead straight since all 4 wheels would be driven exactly the same.

Oh yeah...forgot one thing...
Changing direction of torque = losses of torque. A chain or belt drive doesn't suffer from this loss since the rotation of the motor and wheel are in the same direction. A differential or other forms of drive splitting including transmissions and transfer cases, change the direction of force either 90 or 180 degrees several times before the left over torque gets to the wheels.

I do like the idea of a reverse trike. I would do disk brakes on each wheel and a motor on each wheel and balance them out. Any interconnection between wheels would be purely electrical. I was thinking about how to simulate a differential electronically. It would be pretty easy to pull off. The action you are looking for is the outside wheel pulls more strongly than the inside wheel on curves.

It would require 2 hall sensors and a magnet. When you turn the wheel or handlebars the magnet rotates nearer to one hall sensor and further away from the other. The halls work together with a small comparitor circuit to add or subtract a little throttle signal to each motor controller. In straight driving, the hall sensors would be equidistant from the magnet and have no effect on throttle signal. The outside wheel in a turn would always get a little more throttle signal than the inside wheel. The harder you turn the wheel the stronger the throttle signal would be to the outside wheel and weaker to the inside wheel. The throttle signal baseline would always be whatever the main throttle was set at and then a little is added or subtracted from it for each motor controller. The result would be virtually the same action in a couple of ounces of electronics as 15 pounds of gears and frictional losses.

I don't want no gears it will be a centre shaft with a small diff in the middle and a sprocket bracket welded off centre on the bar so I can fit the motor just behind in a transverse fashion with outer bearings in the shaft then a cv joint on outer and small shafts out to the wheels everything would spin the sameway no rotational torque losses just frictional so the diff can do its job as u mention of allowing a safe turning operation and no worry that if a motor failure occurs i could suddenly turn in that direction.

What you talk of electronical connected you could create a limited slip differential yaw control all sort make a 3wd with the electronic stability of an mitsubishi evo, all you need is magnetic suspension and it would be ultra stable but i have a bit of electrical knowledge even though I do like a bit of mechanical art.

Ianhill said:
I don't want no gears it will be a centre shaft with a small diff in the middle and a sprocket bracket welded off centre on the bar so I can fit the motor just behind in a transverse fashion with outer bearings in the shaft then a cv joint on outer and small shafts out to the wheels everything would spin the sameway no rotational torque losses just frictional so the diff can do its job as u mention of allowing a safe turning operation and no worry that if a motor failure occurs i could suddenly turn in that direction.

Do you have a front wheel drive car? Do you suddenly pull one way or the other as the differential applies power to one wheel or the other? The obvious answer is "I can't tell which wheel is getting power 95% of the time and the car drives straight no matter what." 2 wheels driven by separate motors would feel very similar to a front wheel drive car does. A motor or controller failure on one side would feel like less overall torque, but it wouldn't suddenly make the EV pull radically to one side or the other. Also, consider eliminating regenerative braking which gives you maybe 10-20% additional run time and use free wheels on the driven wheels. When the motors aren't driving, the free wheel pawls disengage and the wheel spins freely. When the motor is driving the wheel the free wheels pawls engage and the wheel is driven again. All bicycles use free wheels in the back wheel. I have one on my scooter back wheel. I forget exactly where (Page 2?) I have pictures of mine all torn apart and then put back together again. A free wheel will 100% eliminate any possibility of a motor freeze up causing a sudden wheel lock situation. They weigh mere ounces and add no additional losses to the system.

There's a good question on a car as the power becomes more aggressive a mechanical diff will pull the car to one side and that's because one shaft is longer than the other as the gearbox is off centred on all fwd cars check out torque steer but all that can be fixed with a simple balanced set up i will get a cad drawing together soon get some more input cheers for brain storming.

I have a freewheel on my scooter defiantly better than regen in my area, I will look into integrating a solution for this to have the same effect.

Ianhill said:
There's a good question on a car as the power becomes more aggressive a mechanical diff will pull the car to one side and that's because one shaft is longer than the other as the gearbox is off centred on all fwd cars check out torque steer but all that can be fixed with a simple balanced set up i will get a cad drawing together soon get some more input cheers for brain storming.

I have a freewheel on my scooter defiantly better than regen in my area, I will look into integrating a solution for this to have the same effect.

Are you sure about that? I thought torque steer was due to the fact that the outside wheel was getting the drive force and so it pushes you into the turn. I don't think the fact that the diffy is or isn't centered or the shaft lengths are different matter to torque steer. I think if the overall weight over both front wheels was the same that an imbalance created by shaft lengths and diffy positioning would be mute.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/what-the-heck-is-torque-steer-abcs-of-car-tech/
Nice little read up on torque steer by there, as long as I use equal length shafts it will be eliminated so a centered small diff with a freewheel attached to its outer would work be a pain to swap the sprocket it be in the very heart of all the front but i see no reason why not could also mount a disk brake either side of said shaft too.

Ianhill said:
http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/what-the-heck-is-torque-steer-abcs-of-car-tech/
Nice little read up on torque steer by there, as long as I use equal length shafts it will be eliminated so a centered small diff with a freewheel attached to its outer would work be a pain to swap the sprocket it be in the very heart of all the front but i see no reason why not could also mount a disk brake either side of said shaft too.

cool...OK....guess I didn't understand torque steer. I still don't think its worth a diffy though. Talk to Luke (liveforphysics) on ES. He's a bit of a legend in the EV world. I'm pretty sure he will tell you to not do a differential.

I had a big think about it and it would need a tilt deck or I'll turn right at high speed and it will throw me to the left I could stop that using a tilting deck system that tilts into a corner like a bullet train but then the drive shaft wouldn't work I don't think with the weird angles so it would have to be hub drive :(

Ianhill said:
I had a big think about it and it would need a tilt deck or I'll turn right at high speed and it will throw me to the left I could stop that using a tilting deck system that tilts into a corner like a bullet train but then the drive shaft wouldn't work I don't think with the weird angles so it would have to be hub drive :(

LOL...more complicated setup, but universal or CV joints would solve the angle issues on your half shafts. Hub motors...ugg! Well worst case you can always learn to rewind your motors for a higher KV if you can't get enough speed out of commercially available hub motors. Of course upping your voltage works too! A lot of people get tons of use out of the MXUS 3000W and over watt them by 30-60% with no problem. One in each wheel pulling 5000 watts each would be a beastly thing to ride!

On rewinding motors...that's something to seriously consider. Its not overly hard to do and most motors are wound with many small strands of wire rather than a few large strands which is more efficient and reliable. I'm a noob at it, but I'm learning.

I nw urgh i don't like hubs really as all the weight would be sprung weight the best motor I know of is a wound rotor motor its rotors resistance can be altered for huge start up torque or high rpm but they are only used industrially 3 phase ac for massive loads that build up to spin fast the resistance is changed to suit load and speed for really good efficiency, but I nw theres squirrel cage rotor motors at 72v fairly compact with a 350amp sevcom flux vectoring control unit 90% efficiency and the power output would be bad ass seen a few gokarts on the net with setup and its 80mph + fast they use the seperate forklift control unit to control the esc for ultimate set up of parameters and usability.

Ianhill said:
I nw urgh i don't like hubs really as all the weight would be sprung weight the best motor I know of is a wound rotor motor its rotors resistance can be altered for huge start up torque or high rpm but they are only used industrially 3 phase ac for massive loads that build up to spin fast the resistance is changed to suit load and speed for really good efficiency, but I nw theres squirrel cage rotor motors at 72v fairly compact with a 350amp sevcom flux vectoring control unit 90% efficiency and the power output would be bad ass seen a few gokarts on the net with setup and its 80mph + fast they use the seperate forklift control unit to control the esc for ultimate set up of parameters and usability.

BLDC motors can be quite large. I've seen a few custom built monster outrunners that need special built motor controllers since no one makes one that can deliver the current they can handle. 500 phase amps is pretty stout! I think that would run whatever you have in mind. It just comes down to larger magnets and larger windings. Anyway efficiency can be quite good at large outrunner sizes too.

Sorry for hijacking your thread and talking dribble on it but one serious question did you run your 48v 1600w motor at 60v 2000w if so what were the results thanks I'll talk your scooter nw as it not fair destroying your thread.

Ianhill said:
Sorry for hijacking your thread and talking dribble on it but one serious question did you run your 48v 1600w motor at 60v 2000w if so what were the results thanks I'll talk your scooter nw as it not fair destroying your thread.

Ha! Not a problem!

It ran, but got hot pretty quick on my scooter. I went from 48 volts to 72 volts and never tried 60 volts. My current 2000 watt motor runs better at 72 volts than the 1500 watt one did, but still I'll cook it without active cooling. I think the motor could run continuous without cooling, but I'm pulling 40 amps at 72 volts or approximately 3000 watts enclosed inside a metal can with minimal surface area and poor ventilation all the time. I peak at 60 amps because that's what I have the motor controller set to and that's 4300 watts. The voltage isn't the issue, it's the current draw. I can run the motor all day long at 5 amps and it will barely get warm. Just consider your uses and loads on the motor and run it appropriately. I know I'm pushing a cheap chinese motor that is poorly wound and can't breath on it's own. You should see the windings inside these things. They have several strands wound together over each tooth and they aren't very tightly wound. I think there is 20 strands per field so there is a good bit off loss due to many layers of insulation. I have 2 1500 watt motors. I have purchased some 14 awg wire and intend to rewind one. I think once that's done, 4000 watts continuous will be doable for the 1500 watt motor and the 2000 watt motor will do 5000 watts. Of course that will still require active cooling. These motors have holes in the ends, but there is minimal air flow through them. I want to cut away a lot of the end caps so they get better air flow passivly. I'll also drill out the tail end of the motor shaft and mount a smaller auxilliary shaft to it so I can attach a fan to the motor directly. I think scavenging a fan from an old PC fan will work.

From my learning the stranded cable is much better at eddy losses than solid core, I notice it uses the same casing as my brushed motor if I knocked the magnets off and refaced it the brushless inners may retro fit I hope I'll check dimensions I would only do this because I can not see any brushless motor casings local with a mounting bracket they are all same as yours mount at end caps rather than its belly they are only in hypertoys USA that come with bracket and direct fit on for a razor with a bit of cutting but it cost to much to import.
Won't the 14awg windind up the current flowing capability of the motor without producing as much heat but then run at a higher kV rating and then overvolt wont you have a 15000rpm+ rotor ? you may have to add more turns in the stator to lower the kV back down ? It will run like a tank i think you may not need cooling with a good rewind do a motor calc and hats off to you it will fly.
What I was thinking is the 48v may handle a litlle increase on voltage and current but only slightly so 60v 40a or 2400w peak a 60v 2500w controller I guess only way is try it for myself I think but from my understanding bldc motors don't overvolt as well as direct DC motors as well as your windings are stationary so naturally harder to flow air through them but try not to flow the air to fast there's a perfect range for carrying heat away but not creating a lot of windage losses ive read a lot of post of people sctraching they head with unexplainable unfathomable rewinds but I hope u crack it, because i want to follow suit in time lol :).

Back