My latest off-road build

MikeFairbanks

100 kW
Well, I finally "finished" my latest build. I took apart my kit that was on the Trek Pure (comfort cruiser) and restored the Pure to its original form (so I can ride with the kids and relax. My family doesn't like me using an e-bike on our rides...fair enough).

So I put it (the kit) on my old Schwinn Ranger that, at one time, was destined for the trash heap (I had to put it back together with various parts). The bike is junk, so when I say I'm "finished" it simply means until I do two things: 1. Get a different bike, preferably single-speed and perhaps with rear suspension. 2. A better battery (one based on the current century's technology rather than the one that was invented in the century before the last century).

That said, I was able to shave five minutes and exactly (literally, exactly) one mile off my commute.

I timed my commute yesterday and got it to about 14 minutes. It was actually timed right at 15 minutes, but that involved one wrong turn on the way home and a steep decent down a steep bank covered in four-foot tall grasses and briars. I then had to push the bike through mud and standing water, along with briars and thorns that reached my chest and sliced up my hands pretty good (blood everywhere...superficial wounds...but lots of blood). Even with that delay I came in at exactly fifteen minutes (and that was on the way back and with a battery that wasn't performing as well as the trip there).

My original commute (paved bike path) was 4.01 miles (seen in yellow). The new commute is about 75% offroad and is literally 3 miles on the nose.

So you might be thinking: "Wouldn't paved be faster, even with the extra mile?" And the answer is no because it involves a lot of stop and go, whereas the offroad commute is much straighter (as shown by the picture...new commute in red).

Plus, the new commute is more fun (and will be even better when the ground is dry and after someone gets out there and kills some wild grass and weeds). When I first moved here 7 years ago the entire area had perfectly clear dirt roads with hard-pack dirt/clay. The utility company had done all that, as many of these paths follow the powerlines. Also, developers were all over this are before the recession, carving out their little roads and making clearings so that their engineers could access the spots. Today it's neglected and some areas are impassible. If they clear it again I'll have an even faster commute. My goal is to eventually get it down to ten minutes (with a dual-sport motorcycle I could easily accomplish this...probably in 7-8 minutes).

The bike is junk, but it held up. The rear derailer was thrashed around (I don't shift gears on this bike...they're shot and I don't care). I ride it as a single speed anyway, but had to tweak it back into position a couple times because of the tall grasses, briars, branches, etc.

The front wheel is heavy (steel suspension forks, big heavy tire, hub motor) and I didn't have any spinouts. That was cool because the front wheel had traction and I could put some leg energy into the back wheel when the going got rough in a couple spots.

Eventually this bike will end up in the trash heap, but for now it'll do until I can buy a proper bike (and a better battery). Right now the battery is a 48-volt SLA with 9ah, so the six miles (round trip) took almost all the power out of it. The building is closed this week. Normally I can charge at work, so the battery has plenty of juice for each leg of the trip.

The kit comes from the good folks at EbikeKits.com. I bought two kits from them and have zero complaints. Great company/great products.

Newest-Build-M.jpg

Here's the map below. That "road" that appears straight and clear? Well, it is until it shows the turn-off. Seven years ago it was so clear I could take it straight as fast as I could pedal, but now that second section is about chest-high grasses, thorns, and trolls.

Offroad-Commute-L.jpg

That's a long commute time-wise. My record time for a roundtrip to the grocery store including the shopping and checkout stands at 17 minutes, and it's 2.5 miles away. 8)

Your latest looks like a nice little offroad commuter. I still need to build an offroad ebike.

That's looking good Mike! It's cool to install on different bikes and learn the nuances involved. It all adds up to better understand what's important for an ultimate Über eBike someday down the road...

Back