Need Help Finding E-Bike With Features I want

Looking at the manual, the damaged part is indeed the top of the steering stem. All the F***ers had to do was put a piece of Styrofoam on it, and the impact from above that deformed it wouldn't have done so. The adjustable stem slides/clamps on over it, so would just straightening it out with pliers be a problem?

Attachments

• Damaged_Stem-s.jpg
    Damaged_Stem-s.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 393
LeftieBiker said:
Looking at the manual, the damaged part is indeed the top of the steering stem. All the F***ers had to do was put a piece of Styrofoam on it, and the impact from above that deformed it wouldn't have done so. The adjustable stem slides/clamps on over it, so would just straightening it out with pliers be a problem?

Remove the top cap and the white sleeve that's placed over the top end of the steer tube, and have a close look at the steer tube itself. It may have been more than adequately protected by the top cap. When the handlebar stem pinch bolts are loose, it should slide onto the steer tube without a struggle. If it does, then the damage is probably limited to just the top cap.

The white sleeve isn't part of your bike; it's only packing material.

I was hoping that, but the illustration in the manual seemed to show the thick white tube. Having taken it off tonight, though I see that it is as you said - just a protective sleeve. The actual stem end looks ok, but the way that top cap and plastic tube are bent, it fell just short of being damaged. A piece of styrofoam on top of that would have prevented any visible damage.

Thanks for responding. I'm having a guy from VeloFix assemble the bike on Thursday. I could do it if needed, but I wanted it torque-checked and checked for further damage as well.

I took my first ride on the Metro today. I was blown away, actually. I had been hoping the bike would be "good" for me, but it exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. It isn't perfect, but between the rearranged bar and controls*, and the bike's great power and power handling, the "short shakedown ride" I had planned turned into a 22 mile outing in which I stopped less often to rest, felt less pain and traveled farther than I have in a couple of years. Based on this ride I'd say my effective range will be about 50 miles.

* I'll be starting a topic on compensating for physical mobility issues in the near future.

Sorry you went through all that, but have to admit it was quite interesting to read through. Glad you got it all figured out.

Back