New build. Full carbon 29er weight weenie Super Commuter.

DIY_turbo said:
Hi Kepler,

More than year ago this thread gave me the inspiration for my build. Now with friends we are trying to bring it to the next level! Thanks Kepler, you were the source of inspiration, you`re the one who change my way of looking at ebikes!

You can check the build here :

https://vimeo.com/107295225
Yeah Kepler, you're an inspirational builder. When I first saw your bomber I just couldn't believe it. And the super commuter... I often imagine the moment you pulled away from the Lycra after he complained about ebikes to you at the lights . Thats a cool story.

Thanks PD, much appreciated. I am glad the stuff I am doing here is of interest to some and at the same time helps grow the ebike movement. Was quite chuffed to see one of my friction drive designs turn up in a commercial venture the other day. 8)

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63542

More than year ago Kepler, your thread "New build. Full carbon 29er weight weenie Super Commuter" gave me the inspiration for my build. Now with friends, we are trying to bring it to the next level. If you go through your thread you will notice that many ideas come from here .

The idea of making it a cyclocross single speed ebike came from JennyB’s post
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47139&p=744343&hilit=cyclocross#p744343

I wanted to build an all-season ebike that is good enough for cold weather countries, like Canada, Finland and Minnesota. This bike should still be light and fast. That’s why cyclocross geometry is ideal for the wheel clearance it offers and rider position. They’re great bikes for winter biking, and adding a Gates carbon belt drive, is also great because of its debris shedding design. As for the seat tube, it is from a track bike, to give it some style and flair.

The idea of using a high quality 9 spline interface bottom bracket with torque sensor came from your dissatisfaction with Thun torque sensors -
“Firstly, the Thun has been removed from the bike. :cry: Unfortunately the plastic bearing housings have developed some slop and although still operating fine, the associated ring gear runout just is not acceptable for a high spec bike.”
That you can read in this post.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47139&p=807056&hilit=thun#p806825
I succeeded to find an alternative to be produced by Continental’s ebike division. A bottom bracket with an ISIS interfac with external cups and torque sensor, that is better in quality than the Thun. Thanks to its external cups, the crankset is stiff and very responsive, absolutely no creaking. I got a pre-production sample for my build, and hopefully it will make it to the production model.

Without the help of the ES community, this bike would have not been possible. Schwibsi, another ES member, provided the integrated battery pack made of Sony VTC 4. Many ideas for the electronics originated from ES threads. The goal was to make an ideal all-weather E-bike, good enough for cold weather use. The batteries are thermally regulated and monitored. Discussions on these forums certainly had an influence on the final design.

For the motor, I met Sunny He, chief engineer and founder of Bafang, at last year’s Eurobike and he offered me a pre-production model of the little rear hub motor with CST. And during development I was able to get later revisions of that motor. He really liked our vision of an Electric Hybrid for the North.

Then I succeeded to convince Uli, our Embedded Systems Engineer to join our team and he fine tuned the controller for best response and developed more electronics for the bike.

Last week-end, I just released a video of my build “Boréal Electric Hybrid. In 3 days, we got 600 views and over 60 shares, and the views are just going up, probably exceeding the 1K mark by tomorrow. We started with a relatively small circle of contacts. No PR campaign. The level of engagement is high. Every 4th viewer is engaging (liking, commenting and sharing) and every 8th viewer is sharing the video. I have yet to find a negative comment. It’s very encouraging. Already, we have received interest from retailers and distributors from Europe and the U.S and suppliers that want to help us out. After 4 days. I would have never imagined.

As you know, as an Endless Spherer we spend lots on time on this passion we have for bikes and technology, and most of our success is due to the patience and understanding of our better halves. I’m a big fan of Adam Vollmer’s work, the Faraday bike. My girlfriend really likes the Faraday bike too, so I got away with spending lots of time in the workshop by convincing her that I was building something much better than the Faraday.

After a year working on my build, when I showed her the final result, she told me she still preferred the Faraday.
The great thing about this is that I got to share this story last month with Adam Vollmer himself at Eurobike 2014.

He was very generous with his comments and advice and seemed to be genuinely impressed and gave it a very emthusiastic thumbs up. I would say that my meeting with Adam, is certainly one of the highlights of the project.

https://www.facebook.com/borealbikes/photos/a.399887083483407.1073741832.396952650443517/415613728577409/?type=1

I really appreciate the support we are getting from the ES community, and I have realized that the ES community goes beyond these threads and forums and that's wonderful. I’m getting PMs from members rooting for us. Hopefully, we’ll be able to bring it to the next level. I believe, we are still at the beginning of the journey, and right now, I'm quite happy with the path we have chosen. I hope one day I will be contribute to ES the same way you have, Kepler. Thank you Kepler! If I can do anything for you please don't hesitate and PM me.

Let's keep on driving the future.. 2 wheels at a time.

Kepler/Guys,

Please can you post up a link to the correct Bafang Rear hub to use in order to replicate this kind of lightweight commuter? Im new to the whole E-Bike scene so any and all help would be gratefully received. :D

skylinefeb75 said:
Kepler/Guys,

Please can you post up a link to the correct Bafang Rear hub to use in order to replicate this kind of lightweight commuter? Im new to the whole E-Bike scene so any and all help would be gratefully received. :D

Hi Skyline - we are working now on our own drive solution - with a German partner. The Bafang hub had some problems and we working with a pre-production that was lightweight and unreliable. In fact, they never brought it to production.

Best

Back