New build. Full carbon 29er weight weenie Super Commuter.

From memory I think I averaged about 28kph so not particularly fast. Not sure how long the ride was as I stopped for breakfast at the bottom of the mountain.

The actual motor / battery / controller combo is no more efficient than any other small geared hub motor setup but the difference is that with the bike being quite light (for an Ebike), it allows you pedal the bike at a decent speed with very little assist. I typically adjust the assist level to suit speed I want to travel at and the distance I plan to travel. Most of this ride was done with about 150W of assist but even at this level I was quicker then most of Lycra's encountered on the ride.

Ohh ok 150w average that sounds very low, that would explain why the consumption is so low. It would be interesting to see what your full throttle no load current and hence power is with the wheel off the ground and how that compares.

The average speed is still quite good for so little average power 150w. Have you ever tested in this 500w mode NON PAS over a long distance of road rideing to see what the average speed and WH/km you get with no peddling or ghost peddling ? If you ever get a chance to do that, then it would show how efficient the bike and motor is and take out the peddling variable.

Kepler said:
Small update to the bike's config. Gone from 18S to 20s LiPo with an end charge voltage of 83.5V. Battery config is 3 x 6S 5ah plus an extra 1 x 2S 5ah added to the series. I am using my older packs out of the Fighter which are 300 odd cycles old and quite tired. They still have reasonable capacity and hold good balance, just a bit saggy underload. However, they are fine for a low powered setup as on this bike. Watt limit has been kept the same @ 800W max so the bike feels similar in relation to acceleration but it does feel a little more crisp. Added a couple of clicks to the top speed of the bike also.

The Little SWXH seems happy so far with a few rides to work now completed.

So I thought I would give it a bit of shakedown this morning with blast up the local hill climb known as the one in twenty. http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/mt-dandenong/the-1-in-20/ This is a well used time trial climb that is very popular with the lycra set both comp and recreational. An A grade comp rider strives for sub 14 minutes but a time under 20 minutes is considered reasonable. My PB on my road bike is 18.35 so not too bad for an old bloke.

Anyway, enough background preamble. Time to see what the Super Commuter could do. After a 12km warmup ride to the base of the climb, I stopped and set a 500W PAS profile to be a little conservative with the motor. Sat there for a few minutes with about 20 riders going past me and none of the them giving me a second look.

View attachment 4

Took off and quickly settled into a fairly consistent speed of 32kph. The CA showing 500W and me pedaling at a consistent level probably contributing around 250W to the mix. Wasn't long before I started passing rider after rider typically 10 to 15kph faster then what they we doing. The SWXH is very quite under these loads and certainly wasn't giving anything away. However I have no doubt I was kidding no one that it was just me pushing the bike up this climb.

Hit a section half way up that flattens off a bit with my speed now getting up to 45kph. At this speed some of the corners were getting a bit dicy but I didn't want to backoff. Was kind of happy as it started to get a bit steeper again so I wasn't traveling quite so quickly.

I could now see the final straight and pushed hard to finish it off. Cross the line and hit the stop on the timer. 12 minutes 45 seconds. The little overvolted Bafang performed flawlessly and I had a ball pretending I was some kind of super athlete. :mrgreen:

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

Continued up the mountain and then back down and home. 53km and a total of 273 Whrs. Not to bad considering close to half of that capacity was used to race up the hill.

View attachment 1

I have enjoyed reading about your build, you have done a great job to a very high standard.
I am about to buy batteries for the first time for the same motor set up that you have run, I took your advice and purchased all the parts from Ben in Melbourne.
Unfortunately I am struggling with the decision on which batteries and charger to buy and could use some advice please.
I can see that with the Turnagey's there are different cell number combinations to get to 72 volts but I am unsure about which "c" rating and which charger to go for.
Any advice for a newbie?

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad the build has been helpful to you.

In relation to batteries my favourite type at the moment are the 5.8ah Zippy compacts. Good value for money, lighter and more compact than most of the other cells out there. I am finding 5ah usable quite achievable with these packs. Only thing I don't like, especially for the newbie are the bullet connectors and the possibility of mistakenly dead shorting a battery when series connecting them up.

Have a look at how a set up a customer bike recently who was a newbie also. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55225

Building a harness as shown makes it impossible to connect the packs incorrectly and avoid suffering an embarrassing case of KFF :)

In relation to chargers, Get yourself a 400W plus RC charger from HobbyKing and and parallel charging board so you can balance charge all 3 packs together. You will also need to find yourself a 40A 12V power supply.

The alternative is bulk charging. A 75V 400W charger can be bought from BMS Battery at more economical price however I don't recommend this method for people new to LiPo. However, if you believe you have done enough research and follow all the LiPo charging safety rules, then this is another option.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Kepler,
Sorry to hear about your accident, boy that looks really painful! I hate injuring my fingers, I'm a mechanic.
Should I be looking at fitting fuses into my wiring loom? Would four of those 5.8ah Zippy compacts be ok?
Was this the sort of charger I should be looking at?http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20613__Turnigy_MEGA_400Wx2_Battery_Charger_Discharger_800W_.html
Sorry to ask so many questions :)

All healed now. As good as new. :)

I wouldn't worry about using fuses in the loom. Although fuses are alway good practice, I have always prefered to keep it simple.

Stick with 15S to 18S so 3 x 5S or 3 6S. 20S (4 x 5S packs) will be on the edge of max voltage for the controller you got from Ben.

That charger looks fine. Dont forget you need a 240V to 12V power supply to go with it. 40A @ 12V min for that charger as those chargers need a fair bit of headroom

Hi Kepler,
I could use some help set up my controller with the right parameters if you would be so kind :)
It's a Lyen 6 fet 4110 , EB312, 20 Cell's 72volt.
Regards
Listerjag

Kepler said:
file.php

Would it be sacrilegious to suggest a kickstand? lol

Yes, this is the 29er weight weenie super commuter we are talking about. Kickstands weigh something and with a machine like this, its all about the bare essentials. :mrgreen: However, I would be willing to bet dollars against pesos that if someone made an affordable carbon fiber kick stand, Kep would consider it, not saying he would go with it, just consider it :wink: Hell, I don't know for sure, whats up Kep?

Definitely no stand, not even a carbon one :) :lol:

This bike is still the workhorse of my fleet. Does about 150 km a week. The carbon frame is holding up great and the rear dropouts as still perfect. Motor is getting a bit growly under load now though. 80V and 800W will do that to a little motor suppose :twisted: . No sign of it breaking though no matter how hard I try :mrgreen:

Kepler said:
No problems. What battery chemistry are you using? Also I presume it is EB306 not EB312. What programing too are you using? Parameter Designer or XPD?
Lippo Zippy Compact 18v 5800mah, EB312, not sure what programing tool, just tried downloading an ASV file and it goes but not very fast:-(
Listerjag

Hi Kepler,
I think the problem could be in how I am setting up the CA3. If I disconnect it I have full power. Any help or advice?

how long have you been using the motor? I think at this level of power it won't last as long as wished.

At 80V35A my BPM died after 3 months of daily use with dead clutch. My Mac died after 1 year.

No doubt 35A at 83V would kill the motor in short time.

I am typically at 250W most of the time, going to 500W when in a hurry and and bursting to 800W only occasionally. So my motor spends most of its time at 3 or 4amps. Quite an easy life for this motor. It hardly even gets warm :) .

Kepler said:
No doubt 35A at 83V would kill the motor in short time.

I am typically at 250W most of the time, going to 500W when in a hurry and and bursting to 800W only occasionally. So my motor spends most of its time at 3 or 4amps. Quite an easy life for this motor. It hardly even gets warm :) .

Yep, that aint hurting anything. So you are running 3-4 amps on 20s?

how come at 80V your SWX motor doesn't saturate?

I tried my Q100H and it becomes highly inefficient over 50V. Is the motor much better designed or something?

Kep,
How do you still find your Bafang SWXH to be silent?
I use MAC 8T on a 37V system, 1300W of power. This gives me ~40km/h in a 26"
All god except that damn noise!

Do you think I can run your little motor at about 1000-1300Watts without melting down? I would probaly nead to have a faster windin with my 37Volts to get to 35-40km/h

This bike was sold a few months ago so I can't tell you how it is now.

However I can tell you it was never silent. At up to 500W the noise was low enough to be inconspicuous but you could still clearly hear it. At 800W it got a bit of growl to it that was no longer inconspicuous.

I would not go any higher than 800W on one of these motors. If you want quiet even at 1000W, go with a BBS02 750W.

Hi Kepler,

More than year ago this thread gave me the inspiration for my build. Now with friends we are trying to bring it to the next level! Thanks Kepler, you were the source of inspiration, you`re the one who change my way of looking at ebikes!

You can check the build here :

https://vimeo.com/107295225

Back