• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New Build-Work in Progress

psychotiller

10 kW
This has been years in the making for me. In the last 15 years, I've had a gas powered mountainboard and a 35lb E-board. they both got ridden alot, but were never much fun for various reasons. A few months ago I bought the LaGrange setup and really liked how much lighter and lower my board was. Anyway, it inspired me to try a build myself. My objective: Lighter, Faster, Cleaner and hopefully with better range.

Here's what I've come up with so far:
2014-04-03 11.58.13.jpg

Attachments

• finished motor mount.jpg
    finished motor mount.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 8,148
  • finished16mm drive flange.jpg
    finished16mm drive flange.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 8,148
Here's another pic of the motor mount on the board:

Attachments

• 2014-01-28 13.36.56 (2).jpg
    2014-01-28 13.36.56 (2).jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 8,144
  • new mount2 (2).jpg
    new mount2 (2).jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 8,144
torqueboards said:
Looks good nice job! How'd you make your mount CNC Mill?

Nice drive wheel - Can you show more photos? I've been thinking of something like that but for a universal drive wheel adapter.

Thanks!
I don't personally have my own milling equipment though I wish I did. What I ended up doing was designing the parts using E-Machines design software and then just sent them the designs to be cut.

My motor mount bracket showed up in no time, but the wheel hub has taken awhile. Being that I'm not very good at being patient, I went about making a drive pulley myself, using it to make a silicone mold, and then used casting resin to make a similar drive hub with a 32t pulley attached. (all one piece)

It looks a little crude, It's kind of difficult to mix, pour the resin, get out all of the bubbles and make sure the hub centers up before it starts to cure. (you have about 90 seconds once you start mixing) All in all though, While not perfect, it pops out a functional hub and drive pulley.

When the aluminum drive hub shows up I'll be able to drill and attach a pulley the right way.

Attachments

• 2014-02-16 10.14.40 (2).jpg
    2014-02-16 10.14.40 (2).jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 8,041
Jonboy said:
hey looking good lots of innovation :) Just a thought .. I think you have a grub screw to hold the bracket in place, May not be man enough... just my 2 bit.. Keep up the good work tho :D

Thanks! Yeah I used 2 grub screws. It seems secure right now but, I do question how long it will last. We'll see!

Went with 2 4s 5200mah batteries. Also had to order another ESC. (Mamba XL2) I want to try 8s 29.6v. It looks like it would be pretty fast on paper. Real time might be too scary haha! :shock:

Voltage 30
Motor KV 290
Motor RPM 8700
Wheel Size 85
Motor Pulley 18
Wheel Pulley 32
Gear Ratio 1.7777777778
Circumference of wheel 266.9
Distance rolled/one revolution 0.2669
Meters per minute 2322.03
Meters per hour 139.3218
Miles per hour 86.570
MPH TOP SPEED 48.6959209806

I can always just run them parallel for more distance too at 14.8v (24mph)

I like how shallow the battery box can be with these batteries.

Getting ready for the test ride.

Attachments

• 2014-02-16 13.28.05 (2).jpg
    2014-02-16 13.28.05 (2).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 8,010
torqueboards said:
You should try 3s 5000mah at 27mm. They also have a 6s long lipo thats 12" and 26mm in height.

I saw those, wanted to get close to the 30v mark with no more than 2 battery packs. Also wanted to get closer to 8000mah but didnt have the $$$.

Here's another pic. Notice I modified the truck to fit inside the wheel hub.

Attachments

• 2014-02-16 11.47.15 (2).jpg
    2014-02-16 11.47.15 (2).jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 7,951
FLATSTREET ELECTRIC and LaGrange L1 custom small.jpg

Finally got the new esc, switch and batteries wired up. The Switch has three positions. Right = 24mph @ 10400 mah, Center = Off, Left = 45mph @ 5200 mah.

Still working on a better enclosure for the electronics, but as for now everything is in one spot.

uote="torqueboards"]You have two different gearings? What teeth are you using ans voltage?[/quote]

Same gearing. 18/32. The switch changes my battery setup from 4s to 8s (or 14.8v to 29.6v) Here's a diagram of the wiring that I used. Note: I substituted batteries where the diagram shows motors.

got92 said:
psychotiller said:
Test rides were good. the belt was a little loose so today while it rained I made a tensioner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyynlJEVojc

i think this tensioner will kill your belt and the effenciency. Is this a tiny wheel or just a "spike"?

I used to 16mm bearings. So it spins freely. Do you think the pressure will kill the belt?

psychotiller said:
got92 said:
psychotiller said:
Test rides were good. the belt was a little loose so today while it rained I made a tensioner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyynlJEVojc

i think this tensioner will kill your belt and the effenciency. Is this a tiny wheel or just a "spike"?

I used to 16mm bearings. So it spins freely. Do you think the pressure will kill the belt?

there is certainly some friction in that point, and the belt spin very fast. Maybe the consumption of the belt will be negligible if the tensioner can rotate. I will take a belt more for safety. if the belt will consumed only then the problem will be serious :mrgreen:

got92 said:
there is certainly some friction in that point, and the belt spin very fast. Maybe the consumption of the belt will be negligible if the tensioner can rotate. I will take a belt more for safety. if the belt will consumed only then the problem will be serious :mrgreen:

I'll let you know how it goes!

psychotiller said:
got92 said:

I'll let you know how it goes!

Put about 20 miles on it and can see a shiny line appearing on the belt where the tensioner makes contact...Didnt fail but it obviously does heat up. (at 34 mph)
So I took the tensioner off and just made a new motor mount with more center to center distance. This one has an integrated rock guard as well 8)

2014-03-03 18.53.08 resize.jpg

Did you have a source for those stealth bomber wheels? I couldn't find them anywhere on the net. I was going to add them to the sticky. They look like a wheel cog would be easy to make for them.

dirkdiggler said:
Did you have a source for those stealth bomber wheels? I couldn't find them anywhere on the net. I was going to add them to the sticky. They look like a wheel cog would be easy to make for them.

No...I got them on ebay. I'm pretty sure they are the same exact wheel as the k2 wheel that is marketed as the "bonzai board" wheel. (it's clear though) This wheel has a narrow hub though so some axles are too long without an extra spacer. Note also that the center spacer has to be smaller or the wheel will scoot side to side on the bearings.

I messed around with the vacuforming table today and finally got something semi-usable. The quarts heater/oven I made takes forever to get the abs up to temp so I think I'm going to rethink that part of the process. bbq grill? Hahaha

vacuform test run.jpg

Back