• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

new cyclone 3000 w mid-drive kit?

StinkyGoalieGuy said:
Thanks, G. This is definitely the best bang for your buck kit for mid-drive. If my current project doesn't work out, i'll end up going for this or a Tangent kit.

I agree, good luck with the project; come visit more often! :)

G.

Anyone having issues with the motor freewheel?

My kit from Luna came with the 13t, but Cyclone said they've seen the 13t fail and recommended the 14t.
So I bought it, and got about 300mi before the 14t seized completely (oiled every ride, motor only at 2kW, me+bike only 220lb total).

Now I'm back to Cyclone's 13t but am wondering when it's going to fail, and I'd like to find a way to run a regular BMX freewheel.

I found this adapter works for right hand 30mm freewheels:
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=229

But the motor always torques open the freewheel's side cover and spills the bearings. I guess that's why cyclone welds their freewheels closed... (is red loctite strong enough for anyone?)
oiqwOra.jpg

I also found this adapter to try with a left hand 35mm freewheel like the Southpaw (just flip it and mount with allen keys towards motor)
But it would really skew the chainline between the motor and the crank (plus I'm not 100% sure the left threading won't torque open too):
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2141

Here's a right hand version with 35mm threading:
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=2111

Does anyone know if red loctite is enough to hold the freewheel cover closed, or do we have to try to spot weld it like Cyclone?

i see on cyclone web site this motor with battery type kit has 840w with 24v battery, is this real ???.
I prefer 24v as I can make it up easier with the screw together headway cells & then its not too big a battery.
I'd buy the kit without battery now if it was on their web site if this was so.
500w is ok (forgetting controller stuff ups) but 840w is heaps for me & it gives more scope to what one can do in the future
plus as many have said better under power a motor .

@ JoeKickass: You are the first one to report problems in this thread with that freewheel. If I were you, I'd look in to threads of other cyclone models.

In my case and just when my freewheel fail, I'll replace it with something like this http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=223

@ Joe,

I had the freewheel of the crank come undone after only a handful of miles but not the motor freewheel (which btw, was partly my fault for forgetting to install the washer that comes supplied with the kit). I have both the 13T and the 14T motor freewheels and I've running the 14T at 6 kW and hasn't shown any signs of it coming lose. The only way to take a freewheel apart (unscrew it) is to freewheel it, so something must've freewheeled the snot out of it. Was the chain too tight that caused the edge of the freewheel to rub and hence come undone?

Given that my mishap with my freewheel was partly due my installation error I would double check if you've missed something in the installation.

G.

Sorry I meant I had non-cyclone regular bmx freewheel spin loose and open, I mounted it on the SPB adapter and only hand tightened the cover so I can see how the motor torque could be enough.

The cyclone specific freewheels all have a little weld to hold the cover closed permanently.

My 14t cyclone freewheel failed by seizing up (at first I could kick it loose but it got worse) it looked just like this:
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=223
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order-parts.htm
HDEMF.JPG

0kxSWIN.png

My 13t is still working but cyclone themselves said they got multiple failures...

Joe,
Seized? wow, how did it seized? I am running 2000 watt average 5000 peak on my trike and I yet have to see a hint of the freewheel seizing. I am running a 14T... can you tell us about your usage patterns?

G.

(hate to interrupt this love fest with stupid questions, but) ..

can these cyclone motors be ran in reverse for left hand drive??
what might that involve? rewiring, etc..

if so then i may consider this motor for a moped build
left chain drive direct to the rear wheel with no bicycle drive-train parts ..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride,

for changing the direction of the c3000 you will need to switch the 2 Hall wires that are hooked to the outside transitiors and you will need to swap 2 phase wires, neither of which I know the color change to simply tell you. This can be done by trial & error. You will also will likely need to get a motor freewheel that grabs in the other direction and is for the same chain type as the rear wheel chainring. You may need to resize the the rear chain ring to get an ideal one speed setup.

thanks for the tips..
(already planned a huge rear sprocket;)

guessing the cyclone 7.5kW motor could also be modded in a similar fashion for left hand drive?

reference: http://www.turbobikekit.com/cyclone-7500watt-7.5kw-electric-bike-Kit-48v-72-volt-lifepo4-lipo-battery

DingusMcGee said:
for changing the direction of the c3000 you will need to switch the 2 Hall wires that are hooked to the outside transitors and you will need to swap 2 phase wires, neither of which I know the color change to simply tell you. This can be done by trial & error. You will also will likely need to get a motor freewheel that grabs in the other direction and is for the same chain type as the rear wheel chainring. You may need to resize the the rear chain ring to get an ideal one speed setup.

Just a note, several posts have been sequestered for review by the moderation panel, but they have not been deleted. They will be "sifted" to remove "off topic" postings. I don't know how long this process will take (as you can imagine, the admins all have jobs and families).

edit: topic unlocked as of lunchtime on Saturday May 7th. please be civil and discuss the Cyclone 3000W drive, not each other. After an "opinion" has been expressed, trust the readers to see which opinion is more correct, after you have presented your case. Constantly trying to "win" an argument by rapid posting to "have the last word" on a subject will lead to another delete & lock.

I am more than happy for any member to appeal any action of mine to the rest of the moderator panel (any green names, its much like being a "red shirt" on the classic Star Trek). If any action of mine is reversed on appeal, I am way too busy to fight it...so feel free to try. It doesn't hurt to ask.

13 ga out of the motor by my blue point gauge. Or the diameter of core is 0.080". You can figure the cross section area and find some table on the internet to further substantiate the exact gauge.

the Hall wire with thin insulation is 0.038" diameter. Some 26ga wire I have reads .048" diameter with insulation. So may 28 Ga?

For an extension wire from motor to controller the 26 ga will work fine.

Wow, nice clean up of all the nonsense... thanks moderators.

The other day I was in the mood and punched it to see how close I could get my trike Alpha One to 60 mph on a 50% battery charge and this is what came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo2f1BCKO4

The only time I glanced at the speedometer during the run I was doing 54 mph, but when I checked CA max speed it was indeed 57.1 MPH. For the next attempt I'll try have my phone log the entire run on GPS.

G.

Thank you. That's what I'm working on is an extension.
DingusMcGee said:
13 ga out of the motor by my blue point gauge. Or the diameter of core is 0.080". You can figure the cross section area and find some table on the internet to further substantiate the exact gauge.

the Hall wire with thin insulation is 0.038" diameter. Some 26ga wire I have reads .048" diameter with insulation. So may 28 Ga?

For an extension wire from motor to controller the 26 ga will work fine.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

gman1971 said:
Wow, nice clean up of all the nonsense... thanks moderators.

The other day I was in the mood and punched it to see how close I could get my trike Alpha One to 60 mph on a 50% battery charge and this is what came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSo2f1BCKO4

The only time I glanced at the speedometer during the run I was doing 54 mph, but when I checked CA max speed it was indeed 57.1 MPH. For the next attempt I'll try have my phone log the entire run on GPS.

G.

Nice speed...but why bother pedaling if you are going to fast?

I like to move my legs so I am always working on my cadence; I usually concentrate on doing perfect pull/push circles for when I ride unpowered; if you maintain a 120 cadence, even if the pedals aren't doing anything, you still get a good core workout. It really helps improve your cadence, my non-ebike cadence has gone up from mid 80s to 100 RPM over the last year that I've used the eBike and has forced me to pedal at 115 (the trike is around 350 RPM so nothing I can do will ever get there), but still a 15 minute of doing very fast bicycle crunches for my abs and glutes.

G.

If anyone is interested in building a KMX trike with a Cyclone motor this is one way you could attach the motor to the boom so it doesn't flip up when you give it throttle. These CAD renders show how my KMX trike mount is built, along with the sideplate mod that Robocam kindly suggested earlier on this thread. The two red colored plates not only prevent the motor from flipping up but also add enough strength to the motor mount to hold 6 kW without any issues.

13116416_990079701106234_8826801602890925029_o.jpg

13112837_990079691106235_8098294346299378620_o.jpg

13217242_990079694439568_5319564032031336904_o.jpg

G.

Thanks for mentioning me G =) You make really nice drawings. What software do you use?

I finally got my Cycle Analyst V3 hooked up to my Cyclone thanks to your help in this thread.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21232

Let me know if you'd like me to test anything on it. I'll try my best.

gman1971 said:
...These CAD renders show how my KMX trike mount is built, along with the sideplate mod that Robocam kindly suggested earlier on this thread...

Back