OK so I've hit 52mph - who does this for real!!!!

i did a little research, heres your motor with the specs, this company makes the HXT motors they just sell them with different names, http://www.xyhmotor.com/en/Emp_ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=242

with 37mOhms resistance and guessing double that while running hot with skin and proximity effect 74mOhms the max power output at 36V is 4378W at 50% efficiency. i smell a graph coming.

here it is with a 90A limit, peak efficiency may be lower than this, they spec no-load current at 2.3A but dont specify at what voltage. i just used 2.3A anyway at 36V.

Attachments

• mot.jpg
    mot.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,308
scottclarke said:
had a wee fire on my back - have some pack reworking to do!
I hate it when that happens.
Aramid coveralls are found in army-surplus stores online... I got mine for ~$15usd.

dude 50mph!! imagine what would happen if your trousers (pants) got caught in the chain wheel !

Well with it all rebuilt I went out again. Big mistake number 2 - taking it off road.

I have redone the battery to esc wiring in 8 AWG so that runs stone cold.

I didn't do anything with the motor phase wires. For these tests I was really after knowing 1, how noisy it would be and 2, if performance is as calculated.

But I 'rushed' to put some wiring to the motor (last week) and all I had handy was some unknown gauge though heavy wire - I'd say about 3 sq mm.

So, whilst running wide open (at 24V) on bumpy grass it stopped. The motor comes already fitted with some female 4mm bullet connectors and the coresponding males for you to use.

Now I don't know why it disconnected - but the yellow wire did - at the presoldered motor to connector join. It may have been dry and it looks it - but I did check these over in a physical way before assembly. My joints held up fine (as did the other 2) so I suspect it was just dry soldered. But it could have been heating due to the fairly narrow gauge wire I used that caused a desolder.

A royal PITA given I was 3miles from home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really need any connectors in line so I may just redo the phase wires in (I dunno!) and hard solder the wires tomorrow evening.

The I dunno - tbh this 90A+ thing is a bit of a problem - obviously requiring beefy connectors. Any suggestions for a 100A capable 2 - or preferably 4 pole staged make? Thing is it has to not be huge - and thats proving a problem!!!!!

scottclarke said:
The I dunno - tbh this 90A+ thing is a bit of a problem - obviously requiring beefy connectors. Any suggestions for a 100A capable 2 - or preferably 4 pole staged make? Thing is it has to not be huge - and thats proving a problem!!!!!
I'm the local broken-record about using parallel connectors... you can carry loads of current and configure them for stealth.

8)

Tyler, I did that this evening because I just HAD to have a way of disconnecting the pack. I used a pair of Andersons for plus and minus - maybe this is the way to go!

BTW I'm going to create a topic in photo's and video's in a minute. I've fudged the lens on the camera and if I hold it just right its a clear picture. Sooo, 4 or 5 photo's taken just now coming up:)

TylerDurden said:
I'm the local broken-record about using parallel connectors.

Don't worry, for every time you say it, I forget it, so say it some more. I need to listen already. I'm using 16ga lamp cord on all of my builds.. but doubled up it wouldn't be so bad.

52mph... shoot I get skeered and back off around half that mph.

Back