Powered velomobile

For some reason I never think of those long-tail extra-cycle bikes, as cargo bikes. I will have to look harder on your blog for something I can use.
This is what I call a cargo bike, maybe I should call it a passenger bike. Even if It will need hydraulic disc brakes.

john-kate-have-room-to-grow-14-passenger-bicycle.jpeg

I need some help choosing a motor controller. We want to use a motor that is is over the legal size for our state. And I am reasonably sure that there must be a way to make the motor legal by programming the controller correctly. Wattage and speed of the vehicle. There must be more to it than that.

There are so many people here that know enough about how to do this I am hoping that some one has made a video about how to do this.

I saw an armature video on how to program an Alltrax controller, but it was so poorly done that it did not even show the screen of the computer.

If no one has made a video on choosing a controller, I hope some one will and put it on YouTube. Or at least make it available here.

We don't have the motor yet, because we still don't know which motor to get. I like the idea of using a large dc brushless hub-motor if it is strong enough, but we may need to just use a Mars 909. We still do not know what a motor controller can do; that information could influence our decision about the controller.

john-kate-have-room-to-grow-14-passenger-bicycle.jpeg

nutspecial said:
Nice bike btw!
The one pictured
http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/john-kate-have-room-to-grow-14-passenger-bicycle.jpeg
is a joke picture from a company website (that makes bakfiets).

In a really quick look thru, I couldn't find anything in the OP's posts/threads that actually shows what her or her husband's vehicle actually looks like, though you can read them more thoroughly for better details.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?author_id=18924&sr=posts

A Direct Drive Hub motor may suit your project well, if you have a large mass to move. As for the controller, an Infineon (Xie Chang) type controller can easily be programmed to limit the speed and power to that of your local limits.

For smaller (48V, 1000W and less) DD HUb motors, ebay and Amazon are a great sources, and quite inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=48V+1000W+rear&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=48V+1000W+rear&_sacat=0

For larger DD HUb motors capable of gratuitous power, the MXUS 3000W motors are quite popular.

we have not built anything yet, still researching the whole project.

Are there any hub motors that have a large enough axle that a wire thick enough to run high amperage at low voltage through, so that we can can climb very steep hills with way to much weight????

Or maybe we should use geared hub motors??

Seems like that is the only problem with hub motors. We don't want to have to use a geared hub motor that has only a 6:1 gear reduction. So why don't they make hub motors for motorcycles?

Ok maybe we have to use a second motor for those really steep hills. Ya that sounds like it. But I think this machine is going to be so heavy that it will need at least three wheels, maybe even a motor cycle drive wheel on the rear. Maybe that one could be a geared hub motor. While the front is just a gearless hub motor.

I just found this about building a motor controller. any body know anything about it? http://300mpg.org/open-revolt-cougar-controller/

heliolatrix said:
we have not built anything yet, still researching the whole project.
ONe thing that would have helped people help you more would have been to keep one single project thread, and keep updating the details of what you've already decided on the project, it's requirements, etc. (preferably by editing the first post with taht info, then "bumping" the thread with your new question(s) as a reply to the thread). Then anyone wanting to help could refer to that, and know whether what they might suggest would have any chance of helping you.

Otherwise they have only the very tiny amount of data given in each of your new threads, and don't know you've actually got an ongoing research of a single project spread over a few years, and many threads. There've been a few attempts to help you already, but it is very difficult to do so.

If you like, I can merge your threads together into such a project thread, or you could start one and link all your own old threads in there for the ones relevant to your project.

Are there any hub motors that have a large enough axle that a wire thick enough to run high amperage at low voltage through, so that we can can climb very steep hills with way to much weight????
You can also use high voltage at lower current if the motor is wound for a lower speed, and use smaller wires that way.

As for "large enough" or "thick enough" there's no way to know if there is one that meets your needs without you defining exactly what those needs are, first (which is where a single build/research thread would help people to help you).

So why don't they make hub motors for motorcycles?
AFAICR, they do. There's several threads about them, if you look around the forums. John in CR has tested various types, as have others. There's even thread in the for sale section by a chinese vendor for them. Sorry I don't have any links.

Some links for higher powered DD Hub motors for you:
(I would recommend a Motor with less than 9Kv to provide the torque you are looking for.)

Leaf 35mm DD Hub: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66489

MXUS 45mm 3000W DD Hub: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63142

Cromotor: http://greyborgusa.com/

QS Motor: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65972

Sorry but I thought of another question that has been lurking around in the back of my head for a long time. Ok, two questions, and one large clarification?

What does it take to have high torque at slow speeds?
As far as I understand the workings of motors; the motor controller will lower the voltage to obtain slow speed, and high amperage for high torque.

Will a controller do both if I were to program it to do so?
Obviously I do not understand what motor controllers can do.

I always think of high voltage as producing high speeds, the when the amps are high.
So how is it possible to have high torque at slow speeds with a high voltage motor?

In this thread I was reading:
QS 500W-10kW BLDC In-Wheel Hub Motor Catalog /Manufacture:

[For general usage, it's about 3-5 years, and it will be 5-7 years if it work in good condition.]

He is saying that even in the lab a hub motor can not last more than 7 years. In wet weather probably less.

So how long can a sealed motor last? Or how water proof are sealed motors?

One last question:
Does anyone make a ratcheting adapter for a timing belt pulley? (For use on the motor)

If you keep reading and reading endlessphere you will get to know your answers,certain hubs need certain controllers,certain grades need certain amps to climb, its a never ending question.are you going to carry 4 kids plus an adult,what will be your top speed needed,what is the steepest grade you need to climb. :D

beast775 said:
If you keep reading and reading endlessphere you will get to know your answers,certain hubs need certain controllers,certain grades need certain amps to climb, its a never ending question.are you going to carry 4 kids plus an adult,what will be your top speed needed,what is the steepest grade you need to climb. :D

we want to build a vehicle that will not be illegal on the streets of settle. that will be about 1.2 hp at around 20mph....we can calculate gears. we are thinking that only one gear reeducation is better than two. A rim pulley looks the best for a low gear. driving a bicycle drive train is just too flimsy.

obviously we are going to have to keep the motor dry. hub motors look like they just do not have the slow sped torque we need.

we can ask a dealer about the controller.

has any one seen a ratcheting adapter for a timing belt pulley?

I dont know of any dealers who know stink about controllers,they just sell you a predetermined kit,250 watts 350 watts 500 watts etc,you should go to EM3V website and look at his geared motor selection,ive ran geared hub motors in wet for years,i live very close to you and its hilly and rainy here.

I found out that we will need at least two motors or one illegal sized motor on our trike/ bike that will be weighing some where around 550lbs total combined weight.

I would love to find some photos of such a set up.

And if any one has any idea about making such a vehicle legal.....the Seattle police department once told me that all they check for is the ability to drive over the speed limit for a pedal powered vehicle. and the brakes, which will have to be hydraulic most likely.

Don't tell me how to subvert the laws. They only check out your vehicle if your in a wreck, and then only because the lawyers of the car that ran into you will try to blame you.

I built a trike that weighs in at 300+ lbs, (home made, with the motor semi hidden under the carrying supports for the rear basket) the police have looked at it, and most likely 99.?% could not tell that I have a 8hp dc motor on it, When I asked, telling one mine was over powered (without the trike in view) his comment was "as long as you are not breaking any laws or making a lot of noise we have better things to do". So I guess it depends on the common sense if the cop. Mine is geared to go 18mpr on the flat, and it is a tadpole.

The pictures were posted on-- packratworkshop,-- under guest photos, if they are still there.

A better description of you trike would help, what you are doing, etc.

This trike is heavy, but has one large motor on it. It needs some serious torque arms of course, or a big motor will rip out the forks eventually, if not immediately. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833

Big motor doesn't have to be over fast, lots of ways to limit speed enough for your particular needs. While still having lots of watts to get going, or get up a hill.

One option for double motor would be one hub, one mid drive.

2015-03-21 14.15.43.jpgHOW ABOUT THIS ONE? CYRLITE.5306 AND WEIGHS APOX. 300 LBS AND ADD ME AT 165 = 475 LBS. AND WILL DO 30 MPH ON FLAT GROUND.USING 72 VOLT THUNDERSKY BATTERYS. 20 AH. AND IT WILL CLIMB LIKE A CAT. ( 1-MOTOR FRONT) STRECHED OUT 12IN LONGER AND HAS REAR SUSPENSION. AND EVERYTHING ELSE I COULD ADD. :D :D

One big motor like that will do er, for sure.

I once saw a thread about a way to switch from 24 volts to 48 volts. I remember a photo of a large rotary switch. but now I cannot find the thread. No Idea what the name was.

Back