Powerfull E-bike and World MTB race competition event !

Doctorbass

100 GW
Awsome day at the Velirium 2015 today !!!

After few years having that idea in my mind i decided to go to the World MTB Competition event at the Mont Saint-Anne today with my E-bike at 1h drive from Quebec.

Wow i got so much attention with the NYX!! While the final of the DH race was hapenning i decided to go parallel to hill of the race path but to go UP HILL and WOT !!! :twisted:

Even the rep guys i meet form Specialized, Giant, Marzocci etc was like "WTF is that bike" !!

For few times i felt i caught more attention from the media than the guys in the race!

The main organizer of the event that is hapenning since 25 years came to my friend and me and asked alot of questions and is really showing interest.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I was just... WOW when he said he is seriously considering creating a new type of race with the powerfull electric bike!! He is also interested to have a long race where energy management is important just like teh Formula E are but for E-Bike!!

Oh and btw my NYX was just awsome with the actual 5403 and Max-E! the average Wh/mile was 130 !!
well... there waw alot of hill climb !!!.. but for that kind of endurance the motor with air cooling is a must!! and even i consider going watercooling and finally finish that project i began 2 years ago!.. I observed that after few intense hill climb the torque was reduced ( btw no temp sensor conneted yet!!) so full 12.5kW to the motor at low speed for long time!! the motor never roasted and winding is still the same color!

I climbed about a dozen of times !! 8)

http://www.velirium.com/en/accueil?set_language=en

some pic of the kind of path i climbed with my NYX: :twisted:

21652377_640.jpg

untitl15.jpg

03.jpg

[youtube]kGC17iVBjn4[/youtube]

Awesome Doc!

Cheater, and proud of it! Cool.

Not easy to ride straight up a ski slope, even on motorcycles. Takes real riding skill to maintain that, not wheelie off, or just bobble and have to stop to gather yourself.

Nice that you not only showed off the bike, but showed off superb riding skills too.

Pinkbike.com shows videos of that place during competition, but I always thought it was a European event (due to the name).

Here are few pictures of my NYX bike when arrived at the Velirium!

Doc

Attachments

• 2015-08-02 16.36.02.jpg
    2015-08-02 16.36.02.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2,341
  • 2015-08-02 16.36.19.jpg
    2015-08-02 16.36.19.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 2,341
  • 2015-08-02 16.36.27.jpg
    2015-08-02 16.36.27.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 2,341
That's really cool! Way to represent Doc!

I too am inspired by the idea of electric powered bike races. I think every time someone puts a motor on a downhill bike
it is an attempt to create a future which I see clearly. Electric full suspension bikes on a bmx/supercross track just made for
electric racing. I see cross country races with quick change battery packs being swapped during pit stops. All kinds of
classes, 250 watt, 1kW, 2kW, mid drives, hub motors, unlimited etc. Too much fun !!!

My purpose in life is to build these bikes. In the past I alway thought about what would be the ultimate bike, but there
are so many bikes you could build with steel frames (not carbon fiber), use big block motors (not Astroflight). There is
even cheap downhill suspension like DMN. Yeah, it's not the lightest, but we've got horsepower baby.

I think the LMX P2 frames are the closest thing to what I want to build, simple and fun. If you cook a motor it's
no big deal like an Astroflight. To me it's all about fun for the dollar and not a lot of dollars when things break
or burn up. Electric bikes with downhill suspension and wheels, awesome.

I am trying to organize an enduro event where I'm located. I ride motorcycle enduro's all over the east coast in the ECEA (East Coast Enduro Association).
http://ecea.org/ecea/
I ride for Meteor MC (Sandy Lane Enduro, established 1934). It is the oldest Enduro event in the USA. Enduro's are time keeping events sorta like a rally. You want to stay on your assigned minute designated by the # on your plate. When you are on roads you are traveling at the speed limit. There are maybe 3-4 sections where you take points from riders by making it hard for them to stay on their minute. At the end of a points taking section you have a "reset" after a checkpoint, where you give back the minutes you took so riders don't go speeding down public highways to make up time.

Usually, most enduros are 65-100 miles with two 30 minute gas/food stops, which can easily be 45 minute charge stops. These are not a time reset, but scheduled stops where most riders should be able to check in/check out with no time loss..... I would love to get a group of interested riders together. For my club, I have cut a lot of trails and am familiar with course layout. Where I am located, I have many trails and connecting sections already marked and ready to go. Might not have all the land use permission yet, but we can start like the original Meteor riders on their Harley's and Indians. They started as Cannonball Runs, but if the idea grows we can get more organized!?

Wonder if there would be any interest in an event like this on ES?

Here's a better explanation of the types of off-road events we have in the ECEA....
http://ecea.org/ecea/?page_id=1759

Maybe I should start a separate topic on Off-Road E-events?? Maybe a mod can move these 2 posts for me if there is enough interest? Any thoughts???

Back