Racer X

Etard! Or anyone down there! Update us!

Just got a text form etard.
only 8 riders showed....raining....wet track.

Dave31 slid out at the end of the long straigt practicing & broke his arm :evil: they called it a day shortly after....Etard ran a few laps & managed a 1:11 lap time. lowside once in the rain...on his way home a while ago.....he wants more power. (who doesn't !)

round one goes to mother nature.....(we rarely have those problems at the motocross only seen 2 events ever rained out in 30 years :twisted: )

liveforphysics said:
Etard- This is on you to win for us buddy. I'm out. I geared up and went for a rip on the streets here around work in the rain, and my bike is just setup extremely poorly for rain. I can't get enough braking traction to get it to shift it's weight onto the front tire (and no rear brake) so it just wants to wash out like a mofo. I could spin the tire and make it fishtail with 1/8th throttle at 50mph... Felt like driving a top-fuel dragster with roller-skates installed instead of tires. I would need to de-tune a 40hp decrease out of her to be able to road race her effectively, and then it's still not going to brake well and be a heavy wet pig.

I'm sorry I won't be joining you guys, I hope it goes awesome and an electric dominates like usual. :)

-Luke

20120316_172140.jpg

Are you going to be riding death bike at the grange race? I cant wait for the unlimited class race :D :twisted: :twisted:

I guess it's time for an update.

First the fingers. They have taken a beating wrenching and riding and wrecking. I was concerned that they would get infected as I prepped the bike this week, but they seem to be healing up. Here are some gross pictures for your viewing pleasure:

2012-03-18_22-57-48_536.jpg

Ok, now an update for the bike. The Jr. Brute was running solid out there in the rain. I wrecked it twice, picked it up, straightened the bars and off I went again. The throttle needs some resolution so I'm gonna try the Methods CA throttle upgrade. the brakes are in need of an upgrade, so I will be looking for some new front brakes for the Grange race. I am also planning a few cooling mods for the next race. I'm gonna drill a hole in the controller and stick a fan on there to cool things down a bit. I just took the bike out tonight and was practicing some launches to get the holeshot at the next race and destroyed the rear hub. Not to worry, I have a MTB hub that I have been wanting to throw in there, so this will give me a good chance to put that in along with possibly a Jetset rim a la Recumpence. :mrgreen: . One other area that needs to be addressed is the headset. It's starting to loosen up and you can feel the flex. So intend to try some new internals and if that doesn't work I may have to braze on a 1 1/8" tube so that I can put a real front end on the beast.

uuhhg. that was a brand new shimano (low range hub) in that thing....had less than an hour of riding on it i think????? that doesn't bode well for a freehub.

I guess you need to tame the throtle hand& learn to not abuse the equipment :twisted: (like thats going to happen)

Neil, Bardco's bike looks awsome. I see he has taken some set up que's from a certain bike that was in Touscon HAHA. (Baird builds a good looking bike anyway)
thanks for the photo's & too bad the weather was shiet. hope it clears up for the grange race.

etard said:
I wrecked it twice, picked it up, straightened the bars and off I went again.
nice. :twisted: sounds like good practice for la grange.
Thud said:
Neil, Bardco's bike looks awsome. I see he has taken some set up que's from a certain bike that was in Touscon HAHA. (Baird builds a good looking bike anyway)
motorbicycleracing, (neil, i assume?) more info/links on the red bike, there? cool gas tank/muffler. what's range/mileage/speed on that? don't want to threadjack, so just links perhaps?

Here you go G.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36139

Baird is a real instigator over at the motored bike site. (hard to not like the guy LOL) & he has a lucky streak a mile wide when finding vintage bike frames for his creations.

now back to your regularly schedualed program already in progress. :mrgreen:

GCinDC said:
... more info/links on the red bike, there? cool gas tank/muffler. what's range/mileage/speed on that? don't want to threadjack, so just links perhaps?

Greg:
I had this gas kit on a beach bike.
http://www.gasbike.net/grubee_skyhawk_gt5_66cc_80cc_slant_head_standard_finish_bike_motor_kit.html

Pros: Cheap, 2-stroke had great torque, $1.82 per fill up avg 150 miles per tank, 30 mph +

Cons: Multiple chain breaks-never could get proper alignment, 2-stoke spewed black gas and trashed my shoes and pants, very hard to pedal with dead engine, no starter-pop the clutch to start (see hard to pedal), clutch adjustment a pain

Reason I gave up: chain breaking. Another reason why I am going e-hub v. RC

uhhg. that was a brand new shimano (low range hub) in that thing....had less than an hour of riding on it i think????? that doesn't bode well for a freehub.

Thud, I am thinking now it's all the "looseness" In the system. The motor probably gets a revolution or two until the pawls engage on the freehub, the throttle is dead until 1/3 rotation and just kinda pops into action. So between those two factors every start from stop is a hard one. Is the hub under warranty you think? :lol:

Baird's bike was cool, and very similar to mine, I would have to say that it looked better too.

etard said:
Baird's bike was cool, and very similar to mine, I would have to say that it looked better too.
nonsense, your bike looks awesome! with the possible exception of the exposed lipos and dangling balance taps... :mrgreen: btw, are they merely held by gravity, or is there something else to keep them in place if/when the rider loses control? :lol:

i think it also needs lettering on the other side too!

is the controller just dirty, or going brown from heat?

Etard, do we have padding resisters in line on your magura? that will get the thing working with the full range....I don't recall if that unit was detailed to that degree.
but the dead spots & hammering hit are anoying & destructive.
look it over tonight.

Back