Radvertising

The ethical sleeper doesn't want attention or to get busted. They will hot rod the bike only in situations where it doesn't disrupt social harmony.

It's like the ebiker equivalent of the responsible sports car enjoyer.
I agree. I cruise at 25 to 28 mph on my semi-street legal bikes and I only go up to 35 mph for few seconds at a time. But for my Sleepers, 25 mph is the maximum because I don't want to draw any attention to the fact that I can't prove that it's street-legal. For me, the additional power is mostly there to climb hills or to keep up with unpredictable vehicles and traffic. I can also be a semi-wuss when there's a group of five or more cars in behind of me or on my ass, I normally pull over, wait for the traffic to clear, and then resume riding.

Pedaling is crucial to me. I only take breaks when I release the throttle or when nobody else is nearby, haha.

Last edited:
This is a motor bicycle. I used to build these before going electric in 2013. Powering down a trail is asking for trouble, Sometimes I would turn off the motor, and pedal, but even so the stink eye is formidable.

Attachments

• Stunner 1.jpg
    Stunner 1.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 14
This is a motor bicycle. I used to build these before going electric in 2013. Powering down a trail is asking for trouble, Sometimes I would turn off the motor, and pedal, but even so the stink eye is formidable.

This brings back memories! Back in like 2005 ish I built one of these with the cheapest kit that was available, and because I did everything by hand as a teen, it always ran like crap. My friend's quality was far superior and he claims it goes 50mph, but we were only allowed to ride 25mph.

Additionally, I personally don't like builds that shout "I'm a DIYer" or "Nerd Alert!" You guys must have a phrase for that; Disorganized wiring, duct tape, exposed batteries, etc.
Terminology for what you describe (Disorganized wiring, duct tape, exposed batteries, etc.) would be Hack or Kludge. If it is temporary one might call it "Test bed."

img_20231212_011856729-jpg.344240

I was out putting around on my ebike today, and saw this billboard:
View attachment 319057

This is the first time I've seen ebikes being advertised like this locally. It was another sunny day out, and the ebikes and e-other vehicle types, were out in force. This summer, however, I've seen a big increase in DIY bikes; where over the last 3 or 4 years, I may see one or maybe 2 DIY bikes in an entire year, I saw a half dozen today. Even an elderly lady with a trike with a 1000W front hub.

Riding through one neighborhood, I saw an ebike shop, but not the usual bike shop that started selling ebikes, but an actual ebike shop that looks like it converts bikes using kits, and also modifies factory ebikes. I saw a hopped up Super 73 near the entrance, and some definitly custom conversions.
View attachment 319060

View attachment 319059

View attachment 319058

I also noticed that there are some faster bikes and othe EVs out there now; mores signs of DIY. I pace behind them and they usually will hit full throttle when they see me behind them, so I can get an idea of their top speeds. I rode behind a one wheel and the rider had a BIG backpack on. My guess is 20S10P or so in the pack. It could hit a legitimate 33mph or so, pretty impressive. The rider needs to lean pretty far forward to accelerate though, so at a stop, or while letting him trail me from behind, there's no way he could accelerate enough to keep up with me when hitting the throttle. Still impressive though, and he could easily out run the other ebikes out there. His hill climbing as impressive as well.

So, while ebikes in general are increasing in numbers quickly, the DIY ebikes and DIY modded factory bikes are growing almost as fast.

The bell curve may have just crested.

I was out putting around on my ebike today, and saw this billboard:
View attachment 319057

This is the first time I've seen ebikes being advertised like this locally. It was another sunny day out, and the ebikes and e-other vehicle types, were out in force. This summer, however, I've seen a big increase in DIY bikes; where over the last 3 or 4 years, I may see one or maybe 2 DIY bikes in an entire year, I saw a half dozen today. Even an elderly lady with a trike with a 1000W front hub.

Riding through one neighborhood, I saw an ebike shop, but not the usual bike shop that started selling ebikes, but an actual ebike shop that looks like it converts bikes using kits, and also modifies factory ebikes. I saw a hopped up Super 73 near the entrance, and some definitly custom conversions.
View attachment 319060

View attachment 319059

View attachment 319058

I also noticed that there are some faster bikes and othe EVs out there now; mores signs of DIY. I pace behind them and they usually will hit full throttle when they see me behind them, so I can get an idea of their top speeds. I rode behind a one wheel and the rider had a BIG backpack on. My guess is 20S10P or so in the pack. It could hit a legitimate 33mph or so, pretty impressive. The rider needs to lean pretty far forward to accelerate though, so at a stop, or while letting him trail me from behind, there's no way he could accelerate enough to keep up with me when hitting the throttle. Still impressive though, and he could easily out run the other ebikes out there. His hill climbing as impressive as well.

So, while ebikes in general are increasing in numbers quickly, the DIY ebikes and DIY modded factory bikes are growing almost as fast.

The bell curve may have crested.

Back