Re: Street LEGAL Custom Bomber build! :-)

Architectonic said:
There might be a modest market for kits of the blinkers/brake lights BTW...

subscribed. giving turn signals with arms is too dangerous at speeds these bikes are capeable..
I think there will come some upgrade kits soon from the chinese^^

The electrical parts list for installing turn signals is rather cheap. A 3 way switch plus the blinker relay and some wires cost under 10 €.

Getting some cheap chinese blinkers will add another 3-8€.

So it´s really no big deal and anyone can do it. :)

Next week a self retracting kickstand will hopefully be installed on my bike. That should conclude the long TÜV to do list of items to modify or add.
They will give me an appointment for the final inspection. With a bit of luck she will be street legal soon. :mrgreen:

So many month, loads of big and small problems, endless research. It´s all coming to an end now. Can´t wait to give the bike another ride soon.

Yes, the bent metal bolted to the seat post is an illuminated license plate holder.

A total of 12 HK Nanotech 8000 mAh packs are used for the battery. This adds up to 18 cells *4p giving me 32 Ah. :)

Yup, she´s gotten fat and heavy. But that´s what you get when range is the key issue to deal with. A smaller battery would have saved a lot of KG, at the cost of less range. :mrgreen:

Dlogic said:
A total of 12 HK Nanotech 8000 mAh packs are used for the battery. This adds up to 18 cells *4p giving me 32 Ah. :)

WoW thats about 1700Wh useable energy. Should be enough for 60km without pedaling.

Dlogic said:
Yes, the bent metal bolted to the seat post is an illuminated license plate holder.

does your rear light have brakelight function?

good luck with the TÜV :wink: I also plan to get a license for my ebike. Will make it in early spring. They told me a special vehicle permission is about 500€ :shock:
Is there a battery voltage limit in germany?
In austria it is about 60volts, but im not absolutely sure if the TÜV take care about this..

Fitted into the brake hose an hydraulic pressure switch activates the brake light when the lever is pulled.

The max voltage in Germany is 48 volts. New laws will be in place soon. So my build will still be legalised.
Even with this high voltage setup.

If used moderately, the battery gives me a usable range of 80 km.
That does include constant pedaling and speeds never above 50 Km/h. :)

Dlogic said:
The electrical parts list for installing turn signals is rather cheap. A 3 way switch plus the blinker relay and some wires cost under 10 €.

Getting some cheap chinese blinkers will add another 3-8€.

So it´s really no big deal and anyone can do it. :)

You left out the bit mentioning the nice custom bracket. :wink:

Sorry for off top.
Martin, I believe you have 5403 and a Cromotor V2
How much current could those motors take without modifications?
I am thinking to upgrade my Bomber to have 100-120A peak battery current.
Will the stock bomber motor hold? Or do I need to upgrade the Phase wires/vent it to hold up? I am a very light rider and the covers of the motor are around 50C tops after a hard run @65A

@ Allex

all you have to do is install a thermistor in the motor and watch over the temp.
If you keep it below 100-120°, you will not melt the windings or hurt the magnets.
I think the peak current limit also depends on how much torque the motor can handle mechanically (before the axle twist off).
i would say with 100A battery and 200A phase you should be safe (if you monitor the temp!). If the motor gets too hot very fast, you have to set to lower amps or buy a bigger motor^^
Vent holes are good, but you should coat the stator / inner motor parts with some waterproof paint if you want to keep the motor steady.

Yes, the motor will definitely take this current. I´m a tall and heavy guy with 1,98m * 94 Kg. That puts a lot of strain on the motor. Add my builds weight and you have got yourself one heavy setup to deal with. :twisted:

Especially during the hot summer month the windings got scary hot. After having vented the side covers the heat problem disappeared.

4gouuq.jpg

Underneath those drilled aluminum discs 4 big holes vent the motor. The discs are to prevent big debris from damaging the stator.
A clear coating was used to protect the stator and magnets from rusting. :mrgreen:

The self retracting side kickstand arrived today.

A new mounting plate to fix it to the swingarm will be fabricated tomorrow. That will conclude all the TÜV demands.
So with a bit of luck by next week the bike will get it´s final inspection.

I´m so exited now.
Will go for another test ride soon. :mrgreen:

Finished the self retracting kickstand.
Tomorrow the welded support for the swingarm that holds the kickstand will be powder coated. :mrgreen:

2dbv6vs.jpg

2yuexs0.jpg

This kickstand is a modified version from the east German motorcycle ETZ 150.

The only thing used are the 2 original springs plus the stands tube.
For a precise fit the black cast iron support, in the left side of the image, was remade out of steel sheets.
It looks better and is much lighter too.
Spent quite some time making all the pieces and welding them together.

A heavy bike needs a good kickstand :) good idea to consider about motorcyle stands..
Do you have access to water jet cutting or are the steel sheets hand made?
nice work!

madin88 said:
A heavy bike needs a good kickstand :) good idea to consider about motorcyle stands..
Do you have access to water jet cutting or are the steel sheets hand made?
nice work!

The steel sheets are all handmade. There's a company just a few Km from my place that laser cuts steel sheets.
Since they need a drawing with all the measurements I decided to make the prototype myself.
It takes many hours to figure out a folding steel structure. So for just a single piece this option was the fastest.

It should be possible to fabricate a good kickstand for around 30 to 40 €. :)

Here we go guys. After 2 years and 8 month my build is undergoing rigorous testing here:

2qv8htc.jpg

So much work was done prior to my visit there for getting it street legal.

All the mechanical parts have passed the tests.
Here you can see the deceleration being measured while braking. The limit is 4 m/s. The Raptor does 8,1 m/s. :mrgreen:

saxhck.jpg

Tomorrow i will apply for a serial number that as to be engraved into the frame.
A list stating all the components is still pending. All technical drawings have been approved already.

They really liked the self retracting kickstand. Even under heavy use over rough terrain it stayed up. :D

299c0l.jpg

Here´s a pic of the bike waiting to undergo more tests.

d1y.jpg

Well it´s a bit early to pour champagne into the glasses and celebrate, but at least they haven´t refused the whole project in General.

I have a lot of writing to do now.

Also a photo album of the build is needed to apply for a serial number. Just finished uploading loads of pics in order to get real paper prints.

PS: All the TÜV guys rode the bike around and where really pleased.
The ECE-R-100 will be the toughest part.
Updates will be posted here. It will take some time though. Some friends and myself will go trekking in Darjeeling the entire month of March. :)

This is so awesome. Thanks for sharing everything. I have a new profound respect for Germany. This would never happen in the US. EVER.

Not sure how, but you've also managed to make me feel better about the quality of my car, having been made by your people :mrgreen:

Mr. D, what kind wires did you use for the phases in your motor?
I would like to change mine in a 5403 :)
Hope they have that kind in this store:
https://www.distrelec.de/home

cal3thousand said:
This is so awesome. Thanks for sharing everything. I have a new profound respect for Germany. This would never happen in the US. EVER.

Not sure how, but you've also managed to make me feel better about the quality of my car, having been made by your people :mrgreen:

Thanks again to you and everyone else that is overloading this thread with compliments. :)

To be honest the freedom you have in the US when it comes to pimping, or building vehicles from scratch is second to none on the planet. There´s almost nothing that can´t be made street legal. All those laws and regulations here in Germany sometimes really give me a hard time.

Riding my build around Germany is considered a criminal offense.
Sad but true. It´s on the same step as selling drugs or harming someone else on purpose.

So, to prevent them from locking me up this is the only available option.

Back