Several Yuba Mundo Builds

I have a pair of BMC V2S gear motors for this V4 build but have had no opportunity to do more than hold the new Mundo washers in my hand. Although not as torquey as the V2Ts, the V2 Speed motor should tax the washers a trifle at the controller-limited 48v25A - I have some 22% hills to flog the washers a bit and can shut down the front motor to tax the rear motor further. Of course, since the gear motors will freewheel and have no regen/braking effect this is not the same abusive bi-directional load situation you have with direct drive, but we'll see how we do.

I will update as soon as I can actually apply some of that torque we have been discussing ;)

I just ordered a pair of the washers then. For any Aussies reading this, Cargo Cycles in Melbourne will be getting them in stock, but won't have them for a few weeks as of today (12 July 2011), so I had to get them from the US store. The US store won't let you buy online, as they don't have a standard carrier out to Aus, but I emailed them, and as it is just washers and can be posted, they allowed me to paypal them and they are posting them to me.

Cheers, Phil.

Philistine said:
I just ordered a pair of the washers then.
Cool. I think we are all interested in performance of these new components - Please let us know your experiences ;)

BTW - I guess the 'readily available' remark above reveals a pretty USA-centric view - Apologies to folks in OZ and elsewhere.....

Philistine said:
I think when run together (ie the washers, and the torque plates), it will be a great combo.
Kiwi said:
Please note above is for version 2 mundo.
To use this design on version 4 mundo, change vertical dimension (16mm) to 21mm...
There appears to be an issue with getting these two components to play together nicely. Looking at the illustration of the Kiwi plates, the V4 verical measurement to the shaft center is 21mm (shaft located at the bottom of the slot) whereas with the washers, this distance is more like 28mm (shaft located about halfway up the dropout).

You could probably press your existing V2 plates into service by drilling the dropout and the trailing ear of the Kiwi plate then bolting them together like a conventional torque arm (using a 1/8" spacer to accomodate the thickness of the Mundo washer), but it does not look promising that an unmodified Kiwi plate will work as intended in conjunction with the washers....

You are right, I hadn't thought of that. That is a good point, I hadn't thought of the fact that the washers would prevent the axle from reaching the end of the dropout. Good point.

Hi Guys.

Here are the new V4 adapters.
Yuba-Mundo-Drop-Out.jpg

They are currently getting made,
Price estimation is NZ$40 a pair ship to Aus, NZ$45 to USA. When they are available I will put them on the for sale post page.

The idea of getting the axel at the top of the drop out is so the disk brake and derailier are in there correct position.
I have had 4kw through these and no rotation or tube damage,with 2 adults and 2 kids.

One side has a slot so you dont have to take the plugs or nuts of NC and Ezee motors. Very little effect on strength, dont for get these are 6mm plate.

Where my design does not work well, is single speed set ups, if your axel is down the drop out a bit, then they wont sit flush on the frame tube.
Also, because the drop out is 14mm, they suit 14mm axles best. I did make some with 12 mm holes at one stage, and can again if asked, but found the 14mm to be ok with 12mm axles.

Philistine, you could use the V2 adapters by putting a piece 5 mm round steel rod ( a bolt with head cut off) above the plates to fill the gap to the frame.

Kiwi

Philistine, you could use the V2 adapters by putting a piece 5 mm round steel rod ( a bolt with head cut off) above the plates to fill the gap to the frame.

Thanks for that Kiwi, I did try that with a piece of 5mm steele which I epoxied on, worked perfect for a while but then the force of the torque broke the epoxy. I think I would need to weld it on. It needs to be connected to the plate (as opposed to being just held in there by the force of the nut), because the torque plate pushes the axle down the dropout without being joined to the added steele.

I will buy a pair of your torque plates when they are available Kiwi.

I have ordered the washers Teklektik (I am going all out on torque solutions), interesting what you showed, I will probably do the same with a dremel. Do you find the one end is enough to hold/resist the torque? Is that all you are using (the washers), no secondary torque hold?

Philistine said:
I have ordered the washers Teklektik (I am going all out on torque solutions), interesting what you showed, I will probably do the same with a dremel. Do you find the one end is enough to hold/resist the torque? Is that all you are using (the washers), no secondary torque hold?
Philistine - Oops - I added a sizable edit that explains what I did in detail - we seem to have been typing at the same time.... Please revisit the edited post above.

BTW - the Mundo Washers are not stainless but appear to be nickel plated steel - your Dremel will probably like that better. However, the auto machine shop handled it in one day for $30 and you may chew up at least half that much money in Dremel bits... See the Yellow Pages under 'Auto Machine Shops'. These are nuts-and-bolts kinds of outfits: no CAD necesssary, just tell them what you want (or print picture above)...

Nice work Teklektik. -Looks like you have defeated the axle of evil there. I am going to run a similar setup with an Ebikes Ca torque arm.

hej Kiwi, I like your battery box. If possible keep me in mind when you have the new design available for sale.

Count me in, I am proud an new owner of '11 Mundo and I am working on mid-drive system kit for my Mundo.

Here the picture after purchased last saturday. This Mundo is going be called Mrs Smurf as nickname aka my girlfriend's madly crazy after smurf. :lol:

YubaBikeOnJeep.png

Here's my mid-drive setup. Cranks are fully independent from the motor's drive. These kits will be for sale soon :D

270154_197710280286634_139972102727119_562082_1109690_n.jpg

250184_197710316953297_139972102727119_562083_3283932_n.jpg

184103_197710346953294_139972102727119_562084_7070997_n.jpg

282464_197710390286623_139972102727119_562085_6975147_n.jpg

270169_197710583619937_139972102727119_562091_569595_n.jpg

250114_197710643619931_139972102727119_562093_6799589_n.jpg

Climbs like a mountain goat. Tried and tested off-road. 800miles of dirt and pavement combined, it's holding up pretty well.

Here in New Zealand we are having a country wide snow storm. Still nothing to you northern hemispere dwellers, but for us here, its quite something. We dont have ploughs, our trees break, we crash our cars. Basically snow useless. But we make the most of it.
I got the cargo out and had a good play. This one was 36v 25amps with a 9x7, and with voltage drop due to the cold, it was under powered. Could have done with 3 times the power. Need to get my 72v48amp system back up and running. We had great fun and the bike didn't miss a beat.

video:
[youtube]5VqeQjw41ro[/youtube]

P8150041.jpg

P8150042.jpg

P8150043.jpg

P8150044.jpg

P8150045.jpg

Great to see you having fun in the snow! I was out and about too - towing people up and down the road with my all wheel drive bike (front + rear motors). Amazing how much having the front wheel as a drive wheel helps in the snow - much better than just rear wheel drive!

Say Kiwi - what's that add-on bar with retainer knob thingie that runs head tube to seat post? ....carrier for snow toys?
Ah - I see from your added vid - a kiddle seat mount.....

Turns out we had a clip taken on a phone - snow from same storm as kiwi's
[youtube]7PoioO1YaPw[/youtube]

Sorry about low quality vid, also would have looked better if I wasn't bothering to pedal.

It is indeed! I should have made a proper vid, not just got one off my friends phone. Where we turn around is the dog statue. It is a very nice place when it snows! :D

Awesome. I sold that cargo to a guy in Wanaka today, he saw the video and rang me up! So going to make a few changes to it and send it down to him.

I have one V2 left, that I am going to hold onto untill the V4 comes, then I will decide to pimp the V2 or the V4. I am a bit nervous of the build quality of the V4, but like the idea of less weight.

I am a bit nervous of the build quality of the V4, but like the idea of less weight.

From the photos of your V2s (have never seen one in person, but from looking at your photos) I think you are going to be a bit dissapointed at how "Chinafied" the frame is on the V4. Don't get me wrong, I love my Yuba, but the frame looks much more cheaply made than your V2s look like in the photos.

For any members looking at putting a frock on their Yuba, Kiwi kindly sent me a pair of his new fandangled torque arms, they are the bees knees. They fit perfectly and my hub axle hasn't budged since installing. I understand Kiwi will be selling them soon, so PM him if you need a pair, they come with a 10/10 rating by me...

Back