Show Us Your Homemade Battery Housing

Unfortunately the previous box was too small, I purchased the larger box from the same company, I think I prefer it tbh.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366574665.839967.jpg

Spooky1 said:
Unfortunately the previous box was too small, I purchased the larger box from the same company, I think I prefer it tbh.

Very Nice Work!

CLEAN!

Tommy L sends.....
mosh.gif

Spooky1 said:

Asthetics are one thing, function is the important detail. Why not show the inside of your pack as well? Whats the stuffing/cushion like and what is it made out of?

Here is my homemade battery box. There is a left and right side. One overlaps the other along the center to help keep water out but it will only keep light rain and mud puddle spray out.

To make this, I wrapped the frame with the batteries in plastic and clear tape. I then used about a gallon of bondo to smooth out the wrinkles and add shape to some areas. This bondo layer made the mold that was destroyed after the fiberglassing was completed. I then sanded the bondo fairly smooth and coated it with epoxy to make a hard surface. Then I applied a layer of Vaseline as my release agent and layed down 2 layers of fiberglass. After struggling to pull the hardened fiberglass shell off I then did the other side and struggled again to get the second side off. I then trimmed and sanded down all the edges and filled the low spots with bondo and sanded it smooth. The carbon fiber skin was then added by spraying both the carbon fiber and the fiberglass shell with super77 contact glue and stretching the carbon fiber over the shell. This allowed me lift and reapply the carbon fiber as needed to get the best look with one large piece of fabric for each side. Then I applied 3 coats of epoxy making sure the first coat wet out the carbon layer all the way through. Then I wet sanded it to smooth out the epoxy layer while being very careful not the sand into the carbon fiber layer. Applied the dragon decals then primer and paint. Removed the decals and applied 4 coats of automotive clear.

DRAGON BIKE 6.jpg

DRAGON BIKE 9.jpg

DRAGON BIKE 7.jpg

DRAGON BIKE 8.jpg

DRAGON BIKE 10.jpg

^ +1: Organic & beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration 8)

How much does it weigh?
~KF

most excellent work!
I never thought of doing that, I've been hand beating a sheet of aluminium for a couple of weeks in my spare time.
cheers

spinningmagnets said:
From wemadethis, retangular pack, sheet-metal raingutter?
nope, that's steel track for steel studs normally used in commercial wall construction. it's too easy to work with, very thin, not heavy and very stiff when secured, oh, and a great width for 5s or 6s packs... i think i have photos in this thread!

Pelican 1300 case - perfect fit for 23s 1p 38120 Headway cells - IF you don't use the cell blocks, arrange them diagonally, and just use bike tube as cushion between each cell. There is room for 1, maybe 2 more cells.

Great battery box.

Attachments

• pelican battery.jpg
    pelican battery.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 4,842
Battery case build from Dibond. Dibond is a aluminium plastic sandwich. Very strong and light. :D

Attachments

• foto 1 (960x720).jpg
    foto 1 (960x720).jpg
    171 KB · Views: 4,630
  • foto 2 (720x960).jpg
    foto 2 (720x960).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 4,630
  • foto 5 (960x720).jpg
    foto 5 (960x720).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 4,630
This is mine, it's made of fiberglass and painted with car paint. That metalic thing on the bottom (rear) is charging connector and at the top is inlet for motor and throtle cables.

Attachments

• IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 4,550
Although this isn't my electric bike battery box, it is a "Homemade Battery Housing" as per topic ;)

T5051 TIG welded aluminum 3/16" thick..... yes yes.... overkill :roll: 8) :lol:

Tommy L sends.....
mosh.gif

1003674_10151749508486983_29630063_n.jpg

jlust286 said:
Here is my homemade battery box. There is a left and right side. One overlaps the other along the center to help keep water out but it will only keep light rain and mud puddle spray out.

To make this, I wrapped the frame with the batteries in plastic and clear tape. I then used about a gallon of bondo to smooth out the wrinkles and add shape to some areas. This bondo layer made the mold that was destroyed after the fiberglassing was completed. I then sanded the bondo fairly smooth and coated it with epoxy to make a hard surface. Then I applied a layer of Vaseline as my release agent and layed down 2 layers of fiberglass. After struggling to pull the hardened fiberglass shell off I then did the other side and struggled again to get the second side off. I then trimmed and sanded down all the edges and filled the low spots with bondo and sanded it smooth. The carbon fiber skin was then added by spraying both the carbon fiber and the fiberglass shell with super77 contact glue and stretching the carbon fiber over the shell. This allowed me lift and reapply the carbon fiber as needed to get the best look with one large piece of fabric for each side. Then I applied 3 coats of epoxy making sure the first coat wet out the carbon layer all the way through. Then I wet sanded it to smooth out the epoxy layer while being very careful not the sand into the carbon fiber layer. Applied the dragon decals then primer and paint. Removed the decals and applied 4 coats of automotive clear.

View attachment 4
Good job. Be carefull most epoxy is not UV protected. But if you clear coated the whole thing then its probably ok. I just used clear Gel on my last CF build.

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Here's a 3D printed housing for 12S2P RC Lipo :
IMG_2828.JPG

2 middle parts of the 6 parts

IMG_2833.JPG

Fitting test of parts 1,2 and 3

IMG_2846.JPG

Assembling parts 1,2,3 and 4 with acetone/ABS mix.

IMG_2850.JPG

Fitting test of main body and measuring size of top and bottom caps.

IMG_2852.JPG

Printing top and bottom caps.

IMG_2853.JPG

Fitting test of assembled housing.

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

Lipos inside.

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

Strengthened with an alloy belt.

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

Closed with a carbon fiber sheet.

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

3D printed body covered with "3D carbon" vynil.

IMG_2905.JPG

Back