So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

I like the silver. Makes it looks like you threw some dope rims on your ride.

By not boring all the way through, would that allow for a skate bearing to be used in the wheel's hub?

I ask because I'm curious if this would add some more support. There were some questions about the hub motor's bearings being insufficient.

matty_x said:
I like the silver. Makes it looks like you threw some dope rims on your ride.

By not boring all the way through, would that allow for a skate bearing to be used in the wheel's hub?

I ask because I'm curious if this would add some more support. There were some questions about the hub motor's bearings being insufficient.

One skate bearing, for the outer hub. You drill out the inner hub and stick the motor in. Honestly, I haven't tried it yet so there maybe fitting adjustments.

I'm definitely aware of the smallish outer bearing taking a lot of load, but the rotor/can with the epoxied wheel is designed to be taken off easily so you can change the outer bearing as often. The stator will stay in place.

BTW, anybody know if these urethane dust are bad for your health. I do wear a mask, but still wonder..... :shock:

Unless your skin is super sensitive, you should be fine with just safety goggles and a cheapo dust mask.
When sanding polyurethane resin, use wet sandpaper to reduce the amount of airborne dust, and always wear a filter mask and safety goggles. Gloves and a long-sleeved shirt are also a good idea to reduce skin exposure. The room in which you are working should be well-ventilated.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8306336_dangers-polyurethane-resin-dust.html

I'm going to 3D print a flange for the in side of the wheel to help with:

1. mounting the wheels squarely on to the rotor
2. protect the rotor from debris and maybe support them better
3. removing the rotor from the stator
4. hide those icky epoxy. :mrgreen:

Videos:

[youtube]MNJKDh0LqIs[/youtube]

[youtube]tJrduNu20Bw[/youtube]

Thanks guys. It still can be improved but I love the sound of those moterzzz! :twisted:

BTW, to those guys that got them already, I will build a new set for you guys with the inside flange. Then I will send it out along with a return postage. You may then send your original set back to me.

Please use and test the units you now have as you normally would, so I can gain valuable feedback. You guys are like my test pilots, hehe. :wink:

Ok so here is the flange that I plan to add to help glue the wheels to the motor squarely and hopefully reduce the wobbliness. I started with a 3d print but that too was not sturdy enough. This is just a test fit so I will be changing it after.

Flange.jpg
I cored a bigger diameter on the wheel so I can put the flange

Flange 2.jpg
And here it is inserted on to the motor. This not only support the wheel laterally, but also vertically as it props the sidewall up. It also protects the motor more from ground debris.

Here is my first draft of your dual hub motor with 2 VESC build into the Yuneec E-Go :)

The board works, but I haven't driven it yet on the road. I expect the E-Go needs better batteries, so I might as well go full custom and buy some board.

IMG_3009.PNG

BShady said:
Good idea!

What else's you have left to do?

Wait for the wheels to arrive. It's been a waiting game from suppliers.

erwincoumans said:
Here is my first draft of your dual hub motor with 2 VESC build into the Yuneec E-Go :)

The board works, but I haven't driven it yet on the road. I expect the E-Go needs better batteries, so I might as well go full custom and buy some board.

I suggest a drop down. The big wheels ride a bit high. I know the E-go has same size wheels, but this thing is faster. :D

dirkdiggler said:
Pedi,
Do you have a one wheel version of this in the works?

I'd like to, but the problem is you would need a dummy motor to put in the other wheel so you can balance them. If you don't, your normal wheel will be center-set while the one with the hub motor will be set all the way to the outer edge.

I've got black Paris trucks. I'm waiting on the red wheels I ordered, my supplier flaked on me. :(

Black Paris.jpg

Im keen on a set but wont be ordering for a few weeks. Good work on the trucks, and the hub wheels. Keep up the good work!

sami said:
Im keen on a set but wont be ordering for a few weeks. Good work on the trucks, and the hub wheels. Keep up the good work!

Thanks sami!

First off, sorry for the delay guys. I've been redesigning my flange-concept so I can solve most of the problems, like:

1. Getting the wheels installed squarely.
2. Making the wheel track wider.
3. Allowing for a single motor.
4. Allowing to change wheels easily.

So, basically, this is what I've come up with. I'm having it CNC'd outside because this thing takes me forever to do. So basically, when you need a new wheel, just unscrew it from the motor and install a new one. I will sell different wheels with the flange-adapter in them already.

Attachments

• 20150501_125421 (1).jpg
    20150501_125421 (1).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,707
  • 20150501_125823.jpg
    20150501_125823.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3,707
  • 20150501_125857.jpg
    20150501_125857.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,707
Back