So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

Szogs said:
Haha. That's certainly a kind of feedback.

:)

There are more people that will have Hub motors, they have been showing me their own version of it. It is really very exciting.

Time for an update:

20150822_234657.jpg
608 skate bearing.

View attachment 2
Easily put on and remove the wheel.

20150822_235947.jpg
Secured hubcap.

20150823_000316.jpg
Additional set screws. I still need to put the tube over the motor to protect.

file.php

Wheels with tube inserts.

torqueboards said:
Why would you do an inrunner?

Wow looks awesome!!!!! Can't wait :)

Cause you could with a lathe and a welding torch. And I can't do the math to figure out if it could produce enough torque with no gearing and I want someone to try so I can find out. And because it's relatively easy compared to two hub motors. And you could use standard wheels (although you would have to secure one to the axle somehow similar to how ..I forget that company that was on kickstarter that used a floating axle. They didn't make the money)

This one is 910kv and not so long. Something like this, maybe as thin as 45mm that extended the whole hanger length would drop the kv way down. I bet this one doesn't have much back iron either (behind the windings, which are on the outside).
Use a 10mm axle for added stiffness and putting the magnets a bit farther out giving torque. A very mild steel tube with recesses for bearings on each end, a mold for making the windings and a mold to have it sunk into the steel tube centered, a mold to sink the axle and magnets in to get it glued centered as well.
If u did a good job with good materials I'm sure you could get a good one. I have read that long motors can have issues though. But if u did an extra good job..

With an inrunner the motor wouldn't be subject to as much vibration. Being able to use standard wheels with a full head of rubber would be ideal. Bigger bearings. Sealed.
How bout it Perry? How long a tube can u fit in your lathe?
http://www.agmhobby.com/item/low-kv-inrunner-brushless-motor-15-car-toro-best-x516-3y-910k-sk40000810-p-116.html

elkick said:
Looks great Pediglide! No epoxy on the urethane anymore?

I would still need to epoxy the wheel on to the tube insert. I wish the wheels were wider though.

Hummina, if you can find me an inrunner with less thank 200kv....maybe. :wink:

All the inrunners are too short for such a low kv. It'd be a complete build job. Purpose made as apposed to a conversion/adaption job.
The more I think about it the more it seems the better motor for a board.
Can't beat the ability to use standard wheels with the full head of rubber.
How long a tube can you stick in the lathe?

The materials cost would be really low once you figured the mold/jig for fitting the windings and magnets. 30 bucks for an axle threader. Maybe you need the welding torch still. You make it and give us the day-to-day doings and I'll buy it

It'd need a base plate that'd be different. With the fat motor going the full length of the hanger there's no room for a hole for the kingpin. Still shouldn't be hard to come up with some kind of teeter totter for the hanger to work with.

How much for the inrunner Perry?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19112__DT38_620kv_Turnigy_Hotliner_Brushless_Inrunner_Motor.html

Pediglide said:
Thanks guys. Road test--or worse, Santa Ana riverbed test--coming up.

Looking forward to hearing how it went! Please let me know when you release the V2s! I really want a set.

theprodigyp said:

Looking forward to hearing how it went! Please let me know when you release the V2s! I really want a set.

Yeah, hopefully this weekend.

okp said:
go go go video !

Oh how I wish I have your video making skills okp. Teach me your ways master Jedi. :D

psychotiller said:
I can film! Let me know when you want to test.

How? Are you gonna follow me? I'll see you guys this weekend.

I may have to do a mix of stationary from the bridges or maybe a bike if I can peddle. :lol:

Darn! I'll be in San Francisco this weekend. All the really fun stuff happens while I am away. :cry: Good thing I sent a board up there. :lol:

mccloed said:
Darn! I'll be in San Francisco this weekend. All the really fun stuff happens while I am away. :cry: Good thing I sent a board up there. :lol:

What you don't like hanging out in the ER?

psychotiller said:
mccloed said:

The ER is fun, and all, but I prefer the OR. J/K :D

BTW, How you gonna pedal a bike? With one leg?

mccloed said:
psychotiller said:
mccloed said:

The ER is fun, and all, but I prefer the OR. J/K :D

BTW, How you gonna pedal a bike? With one leg?

Details, details...

Back