Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

Ozjet said:
AWSOME
i really hope it fixes it
im at work at the moment so not sure of version . 1.0.1 rings a bell
i have done no other upgrades since ive had it (around christmas time)
is all i need to do upgrade the speedict? to .0.7
thanks again for your speedy responce

make sure you upgrade mercury android client 1.0.7 first, check the bluetooth connectivity, and then you can go ahead to upgrade firmware to 1.0.3

Thanx

I will try it this weekend. I don't have time to install the mercury till sunday.

For now it is great to have the legal functie. Thanks for fast replay.
When you have finish the storage fuction for the diverent parameters it will be even better.

speedict said:
Ozjet said:
AWSOME

make sure you upgrade mercury android client 1.0.7 first, check the bluetooth connectivity, and then you can go ahead to upgrade firmware to 1.0.3
so firstly upload the new version of the app then new firmware to speedict, yeah?
where is the firmware.

Ozjet said:
speedict said:
Ozjet said:
AWSOME

so firstly upload the new version of the app then new firmware to speedict, yeah?
where is the firmware.

yes mercury android client first, and then use android to upgrade firmware to speedict mercury because with android client 1.0.3 onward it has many safeguard feature for firmware upgrade

Hi Danny,
How difficult would it be to add an option to divide the magnet signal for the speed to the ebike. I would like to use it with the motor hall signal. Also, would it be possible to add a "battery gauge" function ? Thanks

PeeHell said:
Hi Danny,
How difficult would it be to add an option to divide the magnet signal for the speed to the ebike. I would like to use it with the motor hall signal.

do you mean want to use hall signal to replace speed sensor ?

PeeHell said:
Also, would it be possible to add a "battery gauge" function ? Thanks

what is your specific "battery gauage" look like ?

By the hall sensor for the speed, I mean that we could relate on the motor phase commuting frequency instead of a magnet to calculate the speed of the wheel like some other devices do. The user would have to input the number of poles of its motor.
By the battery gauge, I mean something like this :
mzl.mfppaghu.320x480-75.jpg

To do so, we could relate on the battery pack capacity (ah) or input the fully charged voltage and the completely depleted voltage. It would be a better indicator for the people that doesn't know their low battery voltage.
Just my two cents.
PL

PeeHell said:
By the hall sensor for the speed, I mean that we could relate on the motor phase commuting frequency instead of a magnet to calculate the speed of the wheel like some other devices do. The user would have to input the number of poles of its motor.

we have no plan to do this sorry.

PeeHell said:
By the battery gauge, I mean something like this :
To do so, we could relate on the battery pack capacity (ah) or input the fully charged voltage and the completely depleted voltage. It would be a better indicator for the people that doesn't know their low battery voltage.
Just my two cents.
PL

this already on our development list.

Hello,

I would like to ask you where can I get speedict pc suite and latest firmware. I have been searching on your web page www.speedict.com and I did not find any download section or something like that. I searched on google and ES as well but no luck:-(

I purchased your speedict device and I love the idea, but I was unable to connect device to my android phone. In quick start guide you mention, that firmware needs to be upgraded in order to operate with android phones.

Thanks in advance for your reply and I wish you nice day from Czech Republic:)

Lu.Sochr

Lu.Sochr said:
Hello,

I would like to ask you where can I get speedict pc suite and latest firmware. I have been searching on your web page http://www.speedict.com and I did not find any download section or something like that. I searched on google and ES as well but no luck:-(

I purchased your speedict device and I love the idea, but I was unable to connect device to my android phone. In quick start guide you mention, that firmware needs to be upgraded in order to operate with android phones.

Thanks in advance for your reply and I wish you nice day from Czech Republic:)

Lu.Sochr

android client
============
Android client for eBike : it is still available on google play store

pc client for windows
===================
http://www.4shared.com/zip/PGBCzoT0/speedict_pc_suite_102exe.html

usb driver for windows 32 bit
=========================
http://www.4shared.com/zip/ug46F1eM/speedict_usb_driver_32_bit.html

firmware
========
please upgrade to pre-2.3 version first and then to 2.4

Pre-2.3 firmware
http://www.4shared.com/zip/Nhe-PzrO/Pre_23bin.html

latest 2.4
http://www.4shared.com/zip/5S4VY2T6/speedict-firmware24bin.html

user guide
=========
http://www.4shared.com/office/2Rmk0Qy7/ebike_user_guide__20120303_.html
http://www.4shared.com/office/rq0AY08A/android_client_2x__20120409_.html

speedict said:
Ken Taylor said:
It is the torque sensor shown in this circuit diagram http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2715#p37987 and described in the following text. I'll try connecting it to the Speedict and see how it goes.

the information is misleading, so you need to confirm it by multimeter manually ...
Unfortunately the torque sensor turned out to be faulty. That must be the reason the bike worked so badly when I acquired it http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18505&p=690875&hilit=aprilia+ken+taylor#p690582 . The signal wire remains at approximately the supply voltage regardless of torque applied to the pedals so I've reverted to a thumb throttle.
speedict said:
then you can use throttle function mode, not pas mode or road legal mode :

1. select function mode to throttle mode
2. on throttle type, select current throttle (torque control)
3. connect torque sensor to mercury's port 2
4. connect speed sensor to port 1
5. connect mercury's port 4 to your speed control's "speed adjust" port
6. now you have port 3 free, and you can use it for temperature sensor

I did that and used the thumb throttle instead of the torque sensor. If I feed 5 volts to the motor controller speed input the motor runs fine. However, I can't get the Speedict throttle output to work.

Some extracts from the log with added comments follows. The log and comments are attached.

ThrottleRangeLow = 250 Comment: Why is throttle range high and low the same value.
ThrottleRangeHigh = 250 Comment: Must have been from settings on throttle low high screen but what did I do?
Comment: Port 4 = 100 regardless of Port 2 value. Why is it 100 rather than some other number
and it should change.

After fiddling some more:
ThrottleRangeLow = 105 Comment: Throttle range high and low is now a different value which must have been from settings on throttle low high screen but what did I do?
ThrottleRangeHigh = 250

Comment: Port 4 is now affected by Port 2 value but not sensibly.
When Port 2 is at its minimum of 114 Port 4 is 0 which is good.
When throttle i.e. Port 2 is increased Port 4 jumps to 36 then increases slowly and never gets greater than 100.
When throttle is increased again Port 4 goes back to 36 then starts to increase again slowly.

What do I change to fix this?

Attachments

• Mercury-Port-Statusthrottle.doc
    1.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Mercury-Port-StatusThrottle2.doc
    3.1 KB · Views: 35
Ken Taylor said:
Some extracts from the log with added comments follows. The log and comments are attached.

ThrottleRangeLow = 250 Comment: Why is throttle range high and low the same value.
ThrottleRangeHigh = 250 Comment: Must have been from settings on throttle low high screen but what did I do?
Comment: Port 4 = 100 regardless of Port 2 value. Why is it 100 rather than some other number
and it should change.

After fiddling some more:
ThrottleRangeLow = 105 Comment: Throttle range high and low is now a different value which must have been from settings on throttle low high screen but what did I do?
ThrottleRangeHigh = 250

Comment: Port 4 is now affected by Port 2 value but not sensibly.
When Port 2 is at its minimum of 114 Port 4 is 0 which is good.
When throttle i.e. Port 2 is increased Port 4 jumps to 36 then increases slowly and never gets greater than 100.
When throttle is increased again Port 4 goes back to 36 then starts to increase again slowly.

What do I change to fix this?

will pass your logs to our engineers for inspection, please wait for next week after our new year holiday ended

Ken Taylor said:
.... Must have been from settings on throttle low high screen but what did I do?
and it should change.

by the way, do you mind to take a look of the speedict mercury android user guide, see if you have any difficulty of the function mode settings and we can improve and amend our manual / user guide accordingly !

speedict said:
by the way, do you mind to take a look of the speedict mercury android user guide, see if you have any difficulty of the function mode settings and we can improve and amend our manual / user guide accordingly !

OK. Had a look. The download site is a pain to use. It would be easier to get from your website. Overall its the best reference document for your product I've seen. Pg 48 has a "Simply Cut" option which doesn't appear on my software. One of the comments I added to the log file was Mode 2 = ? Now I think it is Mode 2 = Simply Cut.

For my specific problem pg 53 says:

"To define the lowest throttle point, click on the Lowest Throttle Point button then press the
+ button until motor start turning, for every + button is pressed Speedict eBike increase
voltage and send to speed controller as throttle signal ..."

This didn't work for me. No matter how many times I pushed plus the motor never started. There is also no feedback on this screen so you don't know if anything happened. It would be good if the screen displayed the Port 4 output value so you could see it increase when you push +. As well there is an RPM value on this screen that never changes. I tried spinning up the wheel manually but the rpm value remained at 0. The RPM value worked fine on other screens.

The manual could be improved by adding a description of the log file and what all the terms mean. At the moment I have to guess.

Awaiting advice from your engineers.

Ken Taylor said:
speedict said:

OK. Had a look. The download site is a pain to use. It would be easier to get from your website. Overall its the best reference document for your product I've seen. Pg 48 has a "Simply Cut" option which doesn't appear on my software. One of the comments I added to the log file was Mode 2 = ? Now I think it is Mode 2 = Simply Cut.

the above danny posted link was for speedict ebike (previous mode) that information not available on their new website, if you are using new speedict mercury, mars or venus, all information are available on website !

and for the port status report it was designed for support purpose, so it might meaningless for us :)

rosich said:
the above danny posted link was for speedict ebike (previous mode) that information not available on their new website, if you are using new speedict mercury, mars or venus, all information are available on website !
OK. I have a mercury and I got the manual from http://speedict.com/user-guide/mercury/speedict-mercury-client-rev-1-0-0-bw.pdf and it was much easier to get.
It is similar to the other manual but doesn't have the "Simply Cut" menu option so this matches my software.

It shows the "Throttle Range Setup" pg 64-65 under PAS mode only.
Under "Throttle Mode" the first 2 app information screens are not in the manual pg 66. Following the third information screen "Throttle Range Setup" is the next app screen but you have to go back to the PAS mode section of the manual to find it. This is a bit confusing.

I hope the manual review is useful. I didn't find any more clues to solve my problem.

rosich said:
and for the port status report it was designed for support purpose, so it might meaningless for us :)

Once I looked at the log file I felt I learn't more about the app than through the user interface. I haven't got it working, so I haven't understood it sufficiently yet.

I can see that the user interface provides a mechanism to enter key/value pairs into the app database. These key/value pairs control what the app does. There are many screens, it takes a lot of back and forth to figure it out and some of the terminology is open to different interpretations.

The log file provides a listing of the key/value pairs which I find easier to understand. The name of each key is fairly intuitive but I'd love to see an explanation. I'd also prefer to edit the key/value pairs directly with an editor rather than through the interface.

As an example.

With the key/value pairs:-
ThrottleRangeLow = 250
ThrottleRangeHigh = 250

the Port 4 output value never changes regardless of twist grip position.

After fiddling I see the key/value pairs are now:-
ThrottleRangeLow = 105
ThrottleRangeHigh = 250

and the Port 4 output value changes as the twist grip position is changed but the Port 4 output value never goes higher than 100 and the motor still doesn't turn. I think that is because the Port 4 output is too low, even on full throttle. Therefore, I want to to edit ThrottleRangeLow and ThrottleRangeHigh which I think are setting the range for Port 4 output but I can't figure how to get the values I want through the interface provided. Therefore, I'd rather edit them directly.

One more small thing. The kit comes with lots of connectors, which is nice.

However, it didn't have the combination I used. The existing throttle cable ends with incompatible pins and I could have replaced this with the Speedict supplied connector but then I would have one more cable join than required.

Instead I cut the original cable pins off and connected the wires directly to the plug that goes onto the Speedict port. The plugs provided had wires already connected. I removed the existing wires and soldered the throttle wires to the pins but the pins are crimped and not intended for reuse so it is harder with used plugs. The plugs would only cost a few cents. If you could include some extra new plugs as well as the ones already connected to wires it would be nice.

In my case one extra unused plug would have done.

I have instaled the mercury now.
6km start is better now but still soft.
I have to play a little with the settings.

Only thing i like now is a button to swich butween legal mode and throttle mode.

Danny is it possibele to use a wire and a swich to bypass the speedicht when i go offroad or do i damage the speedicht?
Maybe i can use that solution till you finished the new software solution.

Next week i have a week off at work then i have lots of time to play with the bike.
Then i make a review

Erikjan said:
Danny is it possibele to use a wire and a swich to bypass the speedicht when i go offroad or do i damage the speedicht?

theoretically yes, you can use switch to by pass your throttle direct back to your speed controller and other switch for pas just to make sure that won't short the speedict port and pin

Erikjan said:
Only thing i like now is a button to swich butween legal mode and throttle mode.

if you use road legal 2 mode or even 1, you have no port spare for button, perhaps we can detect some movement or action like you backward your pedal 3 cycles ?

I think what Erikjan meant is that he uses throttle for the 6 km/h start in roadlegal2 and then PAS up to 25 km/h in roadlegal2. He doesn't really need a startbutton. The use of the 6 km/hr start is only to justify the use of a throttle (max 6 km/hr) in roadlegal2 while we really need a throttle for offroad mode. With the high power bikes in offroad mode, we need to be able to quickly switch to roadlegal2 when we get pulled over by the police. Usually the legal PAS bikes do not have a throttle and the presence of a throttle could look suspicious when you get pulled over by the police. A 6 km/hr "throttle" start instead of the use of a button can easily be explained. As soon as the "danger" has gone we really want to switch back again to "offroad mode" as soon as possible.
That's why we like the switch between roadlegal2 and offroad.

IHatePedalling said:
I think what Erikjan meant is that he uses throttle for the 6 km/h start in roadlegal2 and then PAS up to 25 km/h in roadlegal2. He doesn't really need a startbutton. The use of the 6 km/hr start is only to justify the use of a throttle (max 6 km/hr) in roadlegal2 while we really need a throttle for offroad mode. With the high power bikes in offroad mode, we need to be able to quickly switch to roadlegal2 when we get pulled over by the police. Usually the legal PAS bikes do not have a throttle and the presence of a throttle could look suspicious when you get pulled over by the police. A 6 km/hr "throttle" start instead of the use of a button can easily be explained. As soon as the "danger" has gone we really want to switch back again to "offroad mode" as soon as possible.
That's why we like the switch between roadlegal2 and offroad.

i understand erikjan's requirement however speedict mercury has no spare port for switch button, for road legal 2 port 1 for speed sensor, port 2 for throttle input, port 3 for pas input and port 4 for output.
on existing hardware we can only use another input or signal to switch offroad and roadlegal2, therefore i propose use PAS pedal movement to signal speedict to switch or toggle between offroad and roadlegal2

OK that makes sense, in that case can you program speedict to do this backward 3 cycles solution? Thinking about this solution, it may even be better because fiddeling with a smartphone while the police is on your hips is really not very handy indeed.

Back