Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?

bikingdutchman said:
Question about the Speedict Mercury.

I have a (chopper) bike with a 36 V- 350 Watt brushed DC motor (Angel brand).
Sadly these bike is not road legal in the Netherlands, it has no PAS sensor, only a throttle (variable resistor twist grip).
The controller has a main current input and also the 3 wires from throttle, and 2 leads out... I think this controller is a PWM type, only chopping the main current to the brushed DC motor.

I want to make the bike road legal by using a PAS sensor and a Speedict Mercury, using the road-legal 2 layout.
To me it seems no difference to the Mercury wether it works for a brushed or brushless DC motor.

Are there any forumreaders who have experience with this ?
Thanks for your comment in advance.

one thing you need to make sure that your brushed speed controller's throttle input signal type since speedict mercury's output is dc signal up to ~ 5v to simulate market twist grip throttle device, and i think your brushed controller work like that as it is normal and easy connect to outside world ... then you can connect twist grip throttle (hall type, output up to 5v) to speedict mercury's port 2, and PAS sensor (up to 10 magnet, sadly speedict setting allow up to this member but i think they can easy to change program to allow more than that) to port 3, output to port 4 !

use function mode ROAD LEGAL 2, you are able to limit throttle up to 6km without PAS is detected and top speed to 25km/h, good luck

megacycle said:
This sounds superb, much more integrated functionality than anything else I've ever heard off.
Do you have a list of the actual specifications?
When is it available, pricing?

copy it from speedict facebook post

01. 12 cells Li-ion, LiFePo4 cell protector
02. upgradeable up to 16s Li-ion or 20s Lifepo4
03. Live view Voltage, Current (charge / discharge), Power, Speed, Console Temperature etc
04. under voltage cutoff
05. over current cutoff
06. over power cutoff
07. over speed cutoff
08. instant speed limit
09. up 30 hours discharge data logging
10. up to 13 days battery charge logging
11. 6 x discharge mosfet with total ~ 0.37 mOhm resistance
12. hall sensing type current measurement with 1 mOhm resistance
13. factory trimmed hall sensing with 1/100 accuracy without need to calibration
14. electronic switch to prevent current spike
15. wireless accessories supported
16. wireless speed sensor supported
17. customised voltage gauge led for voltage indication
18. ive view battery charging with CC CV indicator for charging time estimation and early termination
19. battery charging with over current, over time, over voltage protection
20. beeper alarm

02. upgradeable up to 16s Li-ion or 20s Lifepo4 to low for many controllers, need at least 18S lipo, preferably 20S (75/84V)
19. battery charging with over current, over time, over voltage protection do we know the current limit

Thanks for your answer, Rosich.

I will measure the throttle signal soon , hoping it's 5 Volt. But you never know, it's a very old (>20years?) construction, so perhaps not a throttle with a hall element. I think the twistgrip is of the wire-wound resistor type, I am not sure.

Nowadays hall sensors and 5 Volt are all around as a kind of default, but TTL-level (5 Volt) was already a common usual value then...
if the measured voltage is to high, say 12 or 15 Volt, there is no good solution for the mariage between the Mercury and the controller, pity, or is there a way out?

bikingdutchman said:

I will measure the throttle signal soon , hoping it's 5 Volt. But you never know, it's a very old (>20years?) construction, so perhaps not a throttle with a hall element. I think the twistgrip is of the wire-wound resistor type, I am not sure.

Nowadays hall sensors and 5 Volt are all around as a kind of default, but TTL-level (5 Volt) was already a common usual value then...
if the measured voltage is to high, say 12 or 15 Volt, there is no good solution for the mariage between the Mercury and the controller, pity, or is there a way out?

one thing you need to check your throttle output voltage make sure that not more than 5v better 4.5 or below, if its max. output is 3.5v you can use speedict mercury's throttle range setup to utilise the throttle range e.g. 3.5v = 100% power etc. if it is more than 5v you can use 2 resistor to build a simple voltage divider circuit to set max. voltage to 5v.

don't worry, here has many good skill people can help you.

good luck.

MasterCATZ said:
Sorry I only read first 11 odd pages soo far ...
*edit* ok spent 5 hrs reading thread / watching speedict vid clips now

#1 when will USB phone charge version be released
#2 when will BMS individual cell logging be released ( not really interestd in it but saw talk of it and no further details since )
#3 which model have bluetooth and wifi ? ( I saw mention of wifi for PC acess while recharging but have not seen wifi mentioned since )
#4 I also read somewhere about an sensor hub being created ?
#5 when will their be an kit that has all the options released

as per my information from their facebook and email from danny :

1. new product will not come with mobile power / charging feature because the on board DC-DC mainly for powering system, it is too risky to connect outside device, and also liability to power external devices.

2. they are preparing documents website etc, still no solid release date from danny (he is on vacation now)

3. don't think wifi is on board what's they mention wireless is 2.4G which is mainly for wireless speed sensor (already done), and brake light, throttle, pas, torque sensor (lately for speed controller) wirelessly connected

4. yes

MasterCATZ said:
ie) its still a mixed bag no real flag ship
mercury has 1 less temp prob then the mars ( would be good having battery case / motor / ambiant temps )
mercury does not have instant legal or speed alternation while venus does

both mercury and venus has instant legal, mars doesn't because mars has no throttle control capabilities.

rosich said:
bikingdutchman said:

one thing you need to check your throttle output voltage make sure that not more than 5v better 4.5 or below, if its max. output is 3.5v you can use speedict mercury's throttle range setup to utilise the throttle range e.g. 3.5v = 100% power etc. if it is more than 5v you can use 2 resistor to build a simple voltage divider circuit to set max. voltage to 5v.

don't worry, here has many good skill people can help you.

good luck.

Sorry, maybe you misunderstand perhaps, for it's (what I think) quite the other way round , a simple voltage divider circuit is not the solution, I think.
Say, f.i. (this is a pure theoretical value, I have not taken any measures yet), so say, my DC controller needs as a input voltage-signal a voltage between 0 Volt (no power) and 15 Volt ( max power) then you will have with 7,5 Volt ..50% power.

In road legal configuration the speedict will give f.i. max 5 Volt to the input of my DC controller. Remember that the bike's throttle is connected to the Speedict (port2) and not straight to the Original controller..

In that case you never can get the max power output to the motor (in our theoretical case this will be 33,3% max).
To overcome this level-difference between Mercury's signal output and the controller signal input you have to convert it by stepping up the voltage.
My thoughts were more to use an operational amplifier (opamp) as linear voltage-range ramp-up device to bring Mercury's output to the prefered level.
Has anyone thoughts about this layout ?

bikingdutchman said:
In that case you never can get the max power output to the motor (in our theoretical case this will be 33,3% max).
To overcome this level-difference between Mercury's signal output and the controller signal input you have to convert it by stepping up the voltage.
My thoughts were more to use an operational amplifier (opamp) as linear voltage-range ramp-up device to bring Mercury's output to the prefered level.
Has anyone thoughts about this layout ?

Sounds like you may need a level shifter.

shift.jpg

[/quote]
megacycle said:
Sounds like you may need a level shifter.

Indeed, that's the idea.

You only need a line voltage on the emitter of Q2 equal to max input voltage of the controller, in this case 15 V.

I wonder if it's available inside the controller as a V-reference , otherwise you can 1) bypass the 36V controller with an adjustable voltage regulator, downstepping from battery voltage to an adjusted level ( in this example 15Volt) thereby saving the trouble of opening up the controller (a not unimportant benefit),or 2) you can use a (power)zener straight from the battery.

To prevent damage to the controller due to facts as a to high V-level, voltage temp drift, spikes etc. the better solution is to use an overriding zener on the V-out of the adjustable voltage regulator.
Which gives the possibility to use 2 zeners in parallel, 1 with a lower Vzener, refering to the road legal speed, where the other has a Vzener equal to max voltage (15V) and switching between them via software the pre-controller out-signal.( A future layout suggestion for Danny :roll: ) thereby making a solution for a problem I found with the Mercury.

What problem? I bought my Mercury to make my cheap China controller (KU63) road legal. No pedaling, no motor power. Mercury overcomes this. But my misinterpretation was the idea that you could use it also as a variable speed device. Set prefered speed, say 45 km/h, and return to max allowed speed-25km/h- with 1 click. It seems impossible...

I think there's a misunderstanding about the "road legal"mode on Mercury. By wiring the Mercury in Legal 2 mode, you are exactly hardwiring the device as was the intention : you ALWAYS stay in that mode, with a limited speed of 25 Km/h., confirming the legal prescription. Altering the settings for speed on your smartphone is of no use, the program displays the message : max speed allowed as input= 25km/h.
So the one-click beta-software 1.1.4 to return to legal speed is of no use in the Mercury, while the program, coupled to the configuration is ALWAYS road legal..
By clicking you even disturbe your choosen parameters, you have to start again with programming your settings from scratch on. Nice!

Well I bought the 36v-100V to 5V USB power adaptor and will make an DC-to-DC converter to power Winkku Bicycle Lights Mirror & Indicators

now onto my next line of thought
(downside that speedict is limited to around the 80V range as I wanted 96V )

What I am now wanting to know is it possible to hook up 2x seperate battery packs and use speedict to switch them between 36v and 72V modes ?

ie)
36V 20 AH system that can provide more AH to the motor with out burning out the brushes for long trips offering higher torque and more range
72V 10 AH system that provides more Voltage for higher RPM but less AH that can be pushed through the motor for when you need to get away fast
( ie cross an bridge before an truck runs you down )

the motor in mind is an 48V Tonaro which is around 500watts
I have heard these taking 1kw + with the 36v versions (25+ AMPS )
I am thinking keeping it at 1kw buy limiting it to 10 AMPS @ 72v

MasterCATZ said:
(downside that speedict is limited to around the 80V range as I wanted 96V )
we did discuss level shifting here previously, in regard to speedict supply voltage.
As speedict mecury/mars measures current through the negative lead only and the other positive leads are commoned together, the positive lead could be level shifted down or picked up at a lower voltage value on the pack and level shifted in software.

MasterCATZ said:
What I am now wanting to know is it possible to hook up 2x seperate battery packs and use speedict to switch them between 36v and 72V modes ?
ie 36V 20 AH system that can provide more AH to the motor with out burning out the brushes for long trips offering higher torque and more range
72V 10 AH system that provides more Voltage for higher RPM but less AH that can be pushed through the motor for when you need to get away fast
( ie cross an bridge before an truck runs you down
If your using lithium, usually a harness is used or a patch panel, for swapping packs as all the cell balance leads are usually paralleled too.
I'm working on a switch at present for just this job, no easy thing with the number of balance leads to deal with bit doable.

Really craving speedicts new toy

Think
http://www.foundingpower.com/en/Products/Smart_BMS/20121202100.html
but with MORE !!!
seems like speedicts going future proof, you can have as many cells as you like and set the cell voltages how ever you please

Thinking more Adaptto/ Speedict, myself.
adaptto_wiring_diagram.png
Being able to attach a raw dc psu would be 8)

http://adaptto.ru/
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=58190

I am actually hoping the speedict will work out cheaper due to the moble phone integration
unfortnatly I shouldn't mention any of the details I have obtained via email as nothing is set in stone yet

but from the looks of it I will be settling on an 16S setup for my ebike if the Tonaro motor can handle the 60-70v
which is currently taking 48V with an 13S (which is 54V with fresh batteries )

the adaptto would be awsome for an quad bike or something with its traction controll ( well from what google translate tells me anyhow )

good to heard that someone put Speedict client on wearable !

Attachments

• 1904167_743974862341544_4204277562813929893_n.jpg
    1904167_743974862341544_4204277562813929893_n.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,982
The device is Motorola MOTOACTV but you have to root it first to download the software from Google play store!

rosich said:
good to heard that someone put Speedict client on wearable !

ecologymagnet said:
How can I use KTY temperature sensor on Speedict Mercury?

no, we use LM35DZ for temperature sensor, it has 3 pins - +vs, vout, gnd

ecologymagnet said:
Can you sell the "BMS" without batteries for 18S?

we don't sell battery, but we have no plan to sell standalone BMS either.

Speedict new product ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 12.04.24 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 12.04.24 pm.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,489
Back