The Cycle Satiator, universal charger for the enthusiasts

justin_le said:
It will be limited to 5A max, with a full scale output of 103V, and again clamped to 360 watts. We were supposed to have had our pilot production run finished now to submit them for UL / CSA test certification but there was an incident that pushed things back by another 3 weeks. GIVEN the crazy amount of interest for this variant though, we're considering bumping the pilot batch volume to at least 100 pieces of so and offering them before certification is approved (another 2-3 month process), with the relevant cert. icons on the label covered up and appropriate disclaimers.

I think it's fair to say that not many people here actually care about whether a product is actually certified by UL or not.

Nice, look forward to the higher voltage version!

A 72V model, I am in!!!!!!! and waiting!!!!!!!! Its only good for 60V now, so shouldnt take long for the 72V model to come out with better display etc.

Marc S. said:
Hi Justin,
Any news on the new MacOS software?

Yes! Downloadable here:
http://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/Satiator_Suite_Mac_v0.990B.dmg

It just gets better.

Hey Folks,

Just wanted you to know that we pushed out 1.0 firmware for the Satiator today - Justin is out of town at the moment so expect a post from him sometime next week. Hope everyone likes all the changes - and please post any issues with updating or using the charger here!

Here's a link to the blog post with other updates.

http://www.ebikes.ca/news/things-getting-better/

Of interest is the Charge Simulator that has a lot more cell options available now under the drop down list. You can create your custom profiles based on specific cell chemistries of your packs to dial in partial charge voltages.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/charge-simulator.html

Lastly, here's a direct link for the Windows and Linux versions of the 1.0 suite (with FW). We'll have the Mac versions available soon (sorry for the delay!). Remember that if you're updating from before 0.99J (basically anything but previous beta release) you'll need to select the "Overwrite Profile Data" to properly update the device to the new profile configuration we're using going forwards.

1,00 Update Overwrite Profiles.png

Windows: http://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/?file=SatiatorProfileEditor_Windows
Linux: http://www.ebikes.ca/downloads/?file=SatiatorProfileEditor_Linux
Mac: Soon

great news!
Is there any chance you could share the math of how the Charge Simulator works?
I would like to do something similar with my batteries, but I run different Lipo cells at a higher cell count, and wouldnt mind mapping out charging.

Guys;

I flashed the firmware of my Satiator from 0.916 to V1. After setting up profiles the way i liked it, everything was looking good until i plugged into my 36V LIFePo4 20AH battery that had been run to approx 20%SOC. As soon as it was connected 'CALIBRATING" is displayed on the top of the screen and the charger will go from 0A to 4A every 10 seconds or so, after about 30 minutes of this i came back to find the Satiator reporting 'Charge Complete" however the battery had only taken on 0.1Ah.
I looked through the settings and couldn't find a thing, looked around the forums and saw that it was mentioned by amberwolf but only when the charger is hot. No issues with heat here at the moment.

So the next thing i tried is hooking up to my 44v LiPo 40Ah battery. It does the exact same thing. Again checked settings. But come back blank.

I then flashed to V0.99j, the same issues occur.

At this point i have flashed back to 0.815 (only one i could find in a pinch) and all is well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I flashed (from .99 to 1.0xx) yesterday and just finished charging two 51V/12 Ah LiFeP04's with no issues.

crezzy2k1 said:
Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, a similar problem here..

Attachments

• 2015-08-21 13.07.33.jpg
    2015-08-21 13.07.33.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,250
Everyone should update to the latest software as we found a bug that depends on the order in which you update the firmware, which can cause the unit to enter a constant taring state, as described by Crezzy2k1 and Bjornb.

Crezzy2k1, Bjorn,

We've been able to recreate this issue quite successfully, and we've applied a patch to the software on the website that will prevent this from happening to people. The issue is one of preserving improperly created advanced settings data.

You will have to download the latest software bundle (1.004) and update the firmware to the Satiator including overwriting the profiles. The links from the website have already been updated to the patched version, and choosing File -> Check for new Firmware will prompt you to download the latest software bundle as well.

Robbie,

That worked a treat! Many thanks thanks for the great service!!! :mrgreen:

Robbie, any reason me to update from 1.001 since I don't seem to have the issue?

BVH said:
Robbie, any reason me to update from 1.001 since I don't seem to have the issue?

Definitely get the software. The firmware is not any different, but the software has a bug. Once you get the latest SW, you won't need to update the FW immediately as it is no different.

I get the message that I'm mot connected to the internet when trying to "check for firmware updates". The ebikes.ca page doesn't show v1 for OS X available yet. Mine Satiator is v.916 on the screen. Am I just to anxious and the Mac OS update isn't ready for prime time? I hate the thought of virtual Windoze.

That said I will soon have used every setup available and continue to be amazed by the versatility of this charger. Fortunately I don't need to charge multiple batts at the same time. But another Satiator is in the plan as I grow. My iChargers are good little units but this device is so damn user friendly. Sorry....I'm singing to the choir...but Grin stuff is just so ahead of the pack!

Thanks Grin, I'm grinning.

tomjasz said:
I get the message that I'm mot connected to the internet when trying to "check for firmware updates". The ebikes.ca page doesn't show v1 for OS X available yet. Mine Satiator is v.916 on the screen. Am I just to anxious and the Mac OS update isn't ready for prime time? I hate the thought of virtual Windoze.

That said I will soon have used every setup available and continue to be amazed by the versatility of this charger. Fortunately I don't need to charge multiple batts at the same time. But another Satiator is in the plan as I grow. My iChargers are good little units but this device is so damn user friendly. Sorry....I'm singing to the choir...but Grin stuff is just so ahead of the pack!

Thanks Grin, I'm grinning.

Lucky for you, 1.007 for Mac OS has been pushed live!

Download here for Mac OS users!

Bonus: Anyone experiencing Thermistor errors can update to 1.007.satiator, using 'Check for New Firmware..." and you'll have trouble free Thermistor Required Nickel charging!

robbie said:
Bonus: Anyone experiencing Thermistor errors can update to 1.007.satiator, using 'Check for New Firmware..." and you'll have trouble free Thermistor Required Nickel charging!

Thanks :), it now starts without thermistor error in my NiMH profile with 'Thermistor req' set to true/checked.
It still says 'charging to 1.0deg/m' in another profile with 'thermistor req' set to false/unchecked when thermistor is connected.

robbie said:

GRINing!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.02.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 2.02.50 PM.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 3,756
About programs, for shop use it's nice to have as many programs as types of batteries among customers, and multiply by 3 to have a fast 80 % charge, a medium 80 % charge and a slow 100 % charge for max range.
If you consider 10s, 13s, 14s in LiMn plus 12s, 16s LiFe, it's already 18 programs.
To take full benefit of very nice statistics function, I plan to have 3 programs for each personal vehicle. I have 4, needing 12 more programs.
No problem in software suite, but Satiator accepts 17 programs.
Anyway, it'd be a mess to wander through 30 programs to find adequate one, for sure. But just to know, is it planned to increase program numbers from 17 to anything more ?

My best solution so far is to have 2 Satiators, one for Shop bikes and one for general use, for customers and friends bikes.

Marc S. said:
robbie said:

Great! Thanks!
Works like a charm (but I hadn't had any problems before anyways).
Flawless! A nice version and easier to setup. It just gets better.

I wondered if there is any update on the pilot run of the higher voltage chargers?
Will they be available to purchase with waivers and no stickers at an earlier date?
What will the price be ?

Thanks,
Kevin

100 V for 20s and 24s will be very nice indeed.
Even more programs, but so convenient to charge even higher voltage projects, like high speed bikes or small EV cars, often in 72 V lead or 20s Lithium.

Back