TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (r0mko fork, torque only)

Peacepirate said:
...it isnt compatible with the sw102...
Indeed, it is for almost all displays.
mbrusa had tried to support SW102 too, but that version had problems with compiling.

Peacepirate said:
there is no torque only mode in casainhos fork, correct? the power mode is jerky for me...
The latest code from casainho has the default mode as 'torque'

What does torque mean in this context? As far as i understand and experienced some months ago casainhos torque mode meant that no rotation was necessary to get motor support - pressure on pedal was enough to get the motor started. correct me if i am wrong but this is not the behaviour i want, i need and i am used to with the original firmware. In this fork pedaling has no direct influence on the power output of the motor but torque only. But in contrast to casainhos torque mode pedaling is necessary in addition to the torque of the pedal. I dont want the motor to start if i dont pedal.

Tell me where can I find instructions for installing this firmware? I have a VLCD6 display, can I use this firmware with this display?

Here is the link to his newest version:

https://github.com/r0mko/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike
Don‘t believe its working with the vlcd5.
Instructions are the same as with casainhos firmware, means hex upload with stlink and svg programmer.

Peacepirate said:
Here is the link to his newest version:

https://github.com/r0mko/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike
Don‘t believe its working with the vlcd5.
Instructions are the same as with casainhos firmware, means hex upload with stlink and svg programmer.
Unfortunately, according to your link, I did not find any instructions for installing this software..

Can someone tell me how to install and configure this ?? I have a VLCD6 display. Will this firmware work with it ?

Code:
// calculate current step for ramp up
//    ui32_temp = ((uint32_t) 24375) / ((uint32_t) m_config_vars.ui8_ramp_up_amps_per_second_x10); // see note below
      ui32_temp = ((uint32_t) 4000) / ((uint32_t) m_config_vars.ui8_ramp_up_amps_per_second_x10); // POWA BABEH
      ui16_g_current_ramp_up_inverse_step = (uint16_t) ui32_temp;

From ebike_app.c in the r0mko fork...

michih. said:
which software do i have to use on the 850c?

mfg michael
I used this with an SW102, and I think the file in the original link on the first page will work with 850C - I only use SW102 displays so can't advise any more than that.

no. check github. display firmware is 0.8.0. and there is an updated controller firmware within r0nkos fork with the version 0.57.3

michih. said:
ok, I found the 0.57.3. I can't find the display software .....
You'll need to go back to casainho's thread around the page 200 mark from April last year, you need v0.8 of the display firmware

https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Color_LCD/releases/tag/860C_850C_SW102_v0.8.0

There you go.... oh, you're welcome

vshitikov said:
HughF said:
I decided to start this thread to help all single speed riders who want to get the best performance when using a TSDZ2 motor for assistance. With a single speed geartrain you have low cadence when starting out, but high torque. You want maximum assistance, and you want it to cut in fast.

The standard codebase for the latest displays uses pedal power as part of the algorithm to calculate motor current. When pedal rpm is below the minimum the cadence sensor can reliably resolve, motor current stays at zero, this makes the assistance slow to cut in on single speed bikes.

User r0mko has made a fork that uses purely pedal torque to calculate motor current, and also has a much faster current ramp programmed into the firmware. It absolutely rips on single speed bikes.

To save cluttering up the other thread, and at the request of Casainho, please use this thread for discussion of this code fork.

https://github.com/r0mko/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/releases/tag/v0.57.10
I actually experimented with torque only mode. I created a firmware where there is a torque only mode up to 40rpm and then there is a pedal power mode after 40rpm. My verdict - I think this firmware will destroy your drivetrain - chain and cassette as well as the motor clutch and a motor blue gear. For singlespeed bikes I think it is much better to use direct drive motor in the wheel. It will be much more reliable. I like how Casainho firmware slowly pics up and pushes you once you already started moving pedals. But it is a personal preference as I value reliability more than everything. I transport kids on my bike and my bike is the sole means of transportation.

I also experimented with the calibration. I personally prefer original logarithmic uncalibrated curve rather than linear. With linear curve it requires to push pedal much harder to get the same assistance. I don't see mich of the value for me. The only advantage is that with calibration feature I can create custom torque curves to imitate bosch emtb mode. But this is really not that important for me as I ride a cargo bike.

I have explored many of the mentioned firmware options, I also have access to 3 OEM motors, bought at different times from different sources. None of these firmwares are the same. They make the feel of the motor quite different. I ended up picking one from a 48V 500W unit ordered from China about 3 month ago and flashed it to all my motors. It is perfect. Takes about 20 mm pedal movement to engage and delivers power in precise proportion to pedal pressure input. It feels like even assistance all the way to max cadence. I couldn't imagine anything better. Maybe the factory has perfected the OEM firmware recently. There is no jerkiness and the the motor stops instantly when stopping pedaling without being abrupt. It seems to follow your slowing pedaling turns and gently powers down. Totally natural, no wishes left for me. I have removed the throttle and the display which just add distraction for me, there is no need for assist levels as the pedal pressure gives you total control. I have Bafang mid drives and hub drives as well which have more power but the little Tongy is my fav!

Back