Twin motored PK Ripper--A little over the top!

j3tch1u said:
you've got just enough space for a third motor!

You noticed that too?

I have extra controllers sitting here. So, for the price of one more motor ($300) and tw more pounds, I can increase my power by 50%.

Oh, that reminds me, the bike weighs in at an even 45 pounds with all equipment! Hmm, 3 pounds per horsepower! :twisted:

Matt

Hi Matt,

Awesome build! (More than a little over the top :D).

recumpence said:
I nearly finished my Lipo mount. It has a sort of wave look. That material is a proprietary 7mm thick CF plywood laminate I have made special for my RC heli main keels.

That material is super strong and ultra light.

Matt

Seems like perfect material for battery boxes. Are sheets available for purchase?

If so:
What is required to cut them to size, can they be cut without applying fresh CF on the edges?

Roughly what do they cost?

Thanks!

Mitch

Thanks Miles!

Mitch

recumpence said:
Oh, that reminds me, the bike weighs in at an even 45 pounds with all equipment! Hmm, 3 pounds per horsepower! :twisted:
Matt

So, theoretically, at a "local minimum"(Due to lack of global knowledge) a 400 HP equivalent would only run at 1200 pounds. Not bad!

Edit: Hmmmm... whoops. Forget the base weight, before adding the extra equipment, doesn't necessarily scale linearly with power. So it could likely be a lot less, like... maybe... 600 pounds, I guess. I don't really know.

Miles said:
MitchJi said:
Seems like perfect material for battery boxes. Are sheets available for purchase?

See here, Mitch:
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=3

Dragon Plate is the most expensive CF place on the planet! They are asking $30US for 1/4 a square foot. I pay (or I did a year ago when I bought this panel) $170 US for 3 square feet.

It is crazy expensive stuff, no doubt. But, when I was making alot of heli parts, I could get 12 heli main keels out of one sheet.

I just had this panel laying around that I could use.

Oh, you can cut CF with a carbide tipped table saw blade. You cannot cut it with a sabre saw. The blade will dull in about 6 inches of cut.

Matt

I can't wait to see some footage of your bike running :) In the mean time, to get you pumped to ride, check this video out:
(I know you're not strictly building a trials bike, but I think you'll like this one)

[youtube]Z19zFlPah-o[/youtube]

There's a trick at ~3:05 min in that I'm hoping you'll try on the PK :wink: :p

Hi Matt,

recumpence said:
Dragon Plate is the most expensive CF place on the planet! They are asking $30US for 1/4 a square foot. I pay (or I did a year ago when I bought this panel) $170 US for 3 square feet.

Oh, you can cut CF with a carbide tipped table saw blade. You cannot cut it with a sabre saw. The blade will dull in about 6 inches of cut.
Matt

Did you purchase from Dragon Plate or do you have another source? If so mind posting it?

Thanks for the tip on cutting.

Man, what a video! Amazing moves he does on that thing. :shock: Very good camera work too, btw. I'm usually not into videos with music, but for this one, it works. :)

-- Gary

swbluto said:
Status update?

I have the pack all wired up and all mechanical work done. I realized I was missing a couple key electronic parts, so I am waiting on those. I also went out of town last weekend and ended up sick as well. :( I will also be out of state this weekend. But, I expect to have it running by middle of next week.

Matt

in khazikstan we would say "velllly niiiice" 8)

looking forward to some vids of the pk very soon Matt, what were the parts you forgot just as a double check for myself?
Also did you get my pp payment?

Cheers,

D

Hi Matt, I was wondering how many teeth are on the drive sprocket? what do you think is the lowest number of teeth that can handle the high rpm without being to loud? I have a 16T on my motor and I need to go smaller, but I'm not sure how small.

edit: I just realized your running 6-turn motors(225Kv) at 48 volt for ~10,800rpm. seems like high rpm for chain, is there a reason you didn't use belt drive for the first reduction?

I run a pair of 8tooth sprockets with #35 roller chain. It really doesn't seem buzzy or noisy at all, but I may be more tolerent of noises than most folks.

-Luke

Whats happening with your monster Luke?
i was hoping for some video at some point?

Cheers,

D

mud2005 said:
Hi Matt, I was wondering how many teeth are on the drive sprocket? what do you think is the lowest number of teeth that can handle the high rpm without being to loud? I have a 16T on my motor and I need to go smaller, but I'm not sure how small.

edit: I just realized your running 6-turn motors(225Kv) at 48 volt for ~10,800rpm. seems like high rpm for chain, is there a reason you didn't use belt drive for the first reduction?

Higher RPM with a lower reduction gives much more power.

One of my standard toothed 5mm pitch belts are only good for about 7kw max. This drive would have shredded them.

If it is too noisey, I can look into a heavier pitch belt. However, it should be fine.

Oh, these motors will probably run about 8,000 RPM under load.

Matt

Higher RPM with a lower reduction gives much more power.

awesome, I have a feeling your PK is going to run like a 2 cycle dirt bike with nitrous.

It should be close to that.

A KX60 has about the same power as my PK. But, my PK has HUGE torque and 1/3 the weight.

It should be a monster! :twisted:

I am bumming, though. I am still waiting on a couple bits and I will be out of state this weekend (again). So, no joy untill next week.

Matt

Hmmmm? It seems in general that the online community believes 50cc is less than 2 hp. This thing seems to be designed to handle ~12hp(~10kw)! How can it be compared it to a 60cc bike?

Just checked google. 10 kW is 13.4 hp.

Edit: Once again, I seem to found evidence that reverses my perception.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_kx_60_2002.php

It seems that the kx60 is designed for 10kW. How can a 60cc do that when a 50cc seems so much weaker?

Back