Two chains on triple crankset? Gonna rub or not?

freewheels on motors work, and are very common.

Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CL2NWUY

And another: http://sickbikeparts.com/electric-motor-freewheel-heavy-duty-14t/

@Markz I'll have to catch up with you on that another time. I'm all over the idea of mid mounted hub motors these days.

@MrNotEnglish You could try asking this guy if his bracket will fit the 1016 you have. But doesn't yours come with a foot welded on with four bolt holes? If so, just use U bolts methinks.

@fourbanger, that's right, the motor has got welded plate with 4 holes. Using u bolts would be the easiest, but the problem is when I align motor sprocket in line with the largest crank sprocket, motor mounting plate is sticking out to the left arm, so 2 holes are under the frame and another two on the outside slightly. And frame is wider at that point, than holes spacing.

Bolt another plate to the existing one, then mark holes in that new plate to match the frame spacing.

Remove new plate, drill marked holes.

Then Ubolt around the frame to the new plate.

You'll also probably need another brace that goes to a different frame tube (toptube, seattube) as an antirotation brace, so the chain doesn't pull the motor around the downtube.

Little progress, motor installed, might need adjusting here and there... Chains rub when on 2nd chainring on crankset and 7/8/9th on rear wheel. I'm going to put piece of sleeving over that stretched derailleur cable, so it won't rub against bracket.
Edit: Had to leave to work, but I was thinking about motor placement.. And I'm going to move it towards crankset, cut the excess length of bolts, maybe paint it black too (too much silver lol). Because chains rub each other at the highest gear ratio (2-7/8/9), I should avoid using them in this configuration thus have lower max speed and that fact makes me think about longer BB. This would move chainrings about 5mm away and this could solve rubbing. Or second option, which adds major cost to my conversion, but the result would be more significant in comfort and ergonomic- get that freewheeling crankset from sjs cycles and 4th chainring for the motor.

Back